[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you reverse a growing addiction to cutting? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1379882707874.jpg (76 KB, 696x680) Image search: [Google]
1379882707874.jpg
76 KB, 696x680
How do you reverse a growing addiction to cutting?

I've restarted cutting and the frequency and depth is increasing at an alarming rate. I don't want to end up gross and scarred and unlovable.
>>
do you have a support system you can confide in?
do you feel shame in the already existing scars?
what makes you cut in the first place?

i had an ex who was a cutter and she fell into a vicious cycle of: anxiety from an eating disorder, coping with her anxiety by cutting, feeling bad about cutting and coping with her eating disorder, repeat.
you've gotta take a step out of the cycle.
>>
>>16671906
>do you have a support system you can confide in?
Yes. I've told them and they generally don't care or don't want to hear about it.

>do you feel shame in the already existing scars?
Yes. An almost overwhelming amount.

>what makes you cut in the first place?
Racial self loathing. When I do it I feel a bit less hopeless.

>you've gotta take a step out of the cycle
But what do you replace it with?
>>
>>16671916
I know it's cold, but stop covering them up.
Face that shame you feel, after a good week of getting dirty looks from friends/family/strangers you'l think twice before adding another cut to the collection. Punish yourself with the shame of cutting, not cutting itself.
>>
>>16671916
>don't care or don't want to hear about it.
doesn't sound like much of a support system.

focus on that shame when you want to cut. is the temporary release worth the permanent shame?

well if you know the root of the problem then that's where you need to start working instead of trying to substitute an addiction with another addiction. i can sympathize with hating yourself for something that is inherent and something that you didn't choose. i'm gay, mentally ill (inb4 someone says homosexuality is a mental illness) and have physical problems but it's just kinda the hand i've been dealt. i'm really sorry that you're experiencing these feelings of self loathing because i know how shitty it is to feel that. you've gotta work on being okay with yourself. i don't think i'll ever get to the point of loving myself so i can't say that you will either. it's okay to have these feelings. you're allowed to feel shitty and beat yourself up sometimes. you've done enough hating though. stop beating yourself up over something that is completely out of your control. however you do have control over your cutting. the only thing you should try to replace it with is something productive.

we're all gonna make it.
>>
i had the same problem some years ago, and the things that helped me the most were 1.- pushing away all the negative people or persons struggling with the same things as me, so my environment was fully neutral (positive when i got to know someone else who was away of all this kind of things) 2.- substitute cutting with rubber bands on your wrists, and, subsequently, removing every kind of self harm and 3.- admitting i wasn't an alien and that what i was going through shouldn't make me ashamed.

hope you get your problems a little bit better, anon.
>>
>>16671898
I love scars and bruises so there's people right there that will love you for that at least.

As for the cutting only weak minded people who desire attention do that, maybe try outdoor activities instead of being a little bitch crying in your room all day
>>
If you do keep cutting, remember to cover them up. People will see you as a freak.
>>
You start thinking logically. Direct your pain and frustrations somewhere else, maybe an aggressive sport.
>>
Stop it
>>
>>16672067

Best answer
>>
>>16671955
>substitute cutting with rubber bands on your wrists, and, subsequently, removing every kind of self harm
I'll try this.
>admitting i wasn't an alien and that what i was going through shouldn't make me ashamed
I feel like the reason that pushes me to self harm is more shameful than the self harm itself. Which makes this part hard.

>>16672044
If you like scars and stuff, why hate the people who have them?
>>
>>16671898
stop cutting
>>
>>16671898
Honest question, how in the world is this at all addicting. I have tried it before and it kinda sucks. Almost ever other thing, including 4chan, is more addictive.
>>
Have you tried controlling your hand? Or maybe just your thumb, if you can't grip the knife it will be harder to cut.

But who knows, maybe your body knows better than you do how pathetic you are and how better off the world would be wih out someone who can't even control their own limbs.
>>
Why not take up running instead?
>>
>>16673097
Endorphin rush.
>>
>>16672088
Said I liked the scars didn't say I liked people doing it to themselves
>>
>>16671898
You already are a basket case and an attention whore, ergo unlovable and creepy. Just find other outlet for your emotions (drawing, running, fucking, crying) and stop being a fag who cuts because world is such a mean scary place
>>
>>16671898

Instead of cutting yourself, go running. If that's not enough, run to an deserted area and start screaming.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.