[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Panic Attacks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: stop-panic-attacks1.jpg (53 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
stop-panic-attacks1.jpg
53 KB, 400x300
I have severe anxiety and panic attacks. Having trouble even leaving my house. I don't wanna take antidepressants I do take a benzo if it gets really bad. not sure what's the cause and ideas or advice?
>>
hey man, I just got my first attack the other day. I mean it isn't that bad for me, but if you're having trouble leaving the house, definitely the thing you should be doing is getting professional help.

This is a treatable condition that can be fixed given tenacity and proper thinking patterns.
>>
>>16671852
>>16671852
Thanks for your reply think i'm gonna go see another doctor soon to get their opinion. I gotta get this sorted and get back to my life
>>
>>16671860
I can't get to sleep because of this shit, but it IS all in your head man. I've been taking deep breaths through my nostrils, counting to 4, pause, exhaling for 6, repeat.

Its helped settle me down and fight off two attacks tonight. That should help you for now, just the ability to control yourself is a good step. It is your mind, your its master, not its slave.
>>
>>16671877
Do you know the cause of yours?
>>
What's the problem?
>>
>>16671882
Well for me I've only left my house a hand full of times in the past 8 months. everyday feel a bit anxious just always trying to distract myself
>>
>>16671883
Whats your anxiety about?
>>
>>16671881
I believe I've been suffering anxiety for a long time and just never really fully confronted it.

It's suggested by certain patterns of thinking that retroactively looking at it would fit the bill.

Recently, I had a major life change wherein I pushed away my family cause I had strong criticisms on how they parented us.

So, I pushed everyone away, including my brothers, to 'clear my head', and I guess that was a major trigger overtime that really messed my head.

This is all speculation of course, I haven't seen a professional yet. I was prescribed ativan, but I'm avoiding taking it. I feel like I can fight this on my own, I just need like a sleep aid.

It's like 20 below out right now however.
>>
>>16671884
That's the thing the only thing I'm scared of now is having another panic attack. back in may of last year i had the like everyday for like 2 weeks and after that nothing has been the same. constantly feel so different all the time. Feels like im losing my mind
>>
>>16671891
Just a warning never mix your sleep aid with your benzo!
>>
>>16671895
Right, it'd be one or the other and I'd prefer the one without the addictive quality to it.
>>
>>16671893
Well, describe how these panic attacks that you dread go down. What sorts of thoughts and feelings do you typically experience?

If you don't feel comfortable telling me (and the world) that's fine, just know that your fear may be as old as the world, not some sort of disability you have to fix. Or it may not be. I don't really know.
>>
>>16671896
The thing is I know when i go to the doctor he is just gonna try to put me on zoloft paxil or some other shit that i refuse to take...
>>
>>16671901
I think the first major cause I had one over was quiting smoking. when i have one everything starts to look surreal and i just have a feeling of dread. like I'm definitely about to die in the next few moments. I get muscle contractions, shivers, constant adrenaline rush. All i can think is your fine but my body feels like it's dying. all i can do is try to remain calm, but it's so tough.
>>
>>16671902
Have you ever tried any of them?

I personally have tried zoloft and thought it didn't help me at all, but at least I tried.

For some, it can help you just feel normal and there's not really any long term consequences for just trying it out, say for a week. You never know man, it could actually help. They're not there to sell you.
>>
>>16671917
I took 1 zoloft once made me get brain zaps the next day that felt like shit. So I decided to not take them ever again.
>>
>>16671915
Well, it doesn't sound like you're calm enough to remain so. Maybe part of your problem is actually that you're trying to become calm when you have genuine, real world problems that require more than just emotional regulation.
>>
>>16671920
Yeah, it didn't give me 'zaps' so much that it just made my head warm, ache n shit. It wasn't pleasant at all and I really didn't feel better.

Really shouldn't give up though, there's other medicines that have completely different behaviors; there could be one. Zoloft may just be fuckin' penis, I know it is to me, but hopefully whenever I do go to a psychiatrist, and they recommend me something, I can say, "hey man, that shit fuckin' sucked, it was too overbearing and I'd prefer something maybe 'lighter' if you got it?".

Something along those lines you know? If zoloft wasn't doing the trick, I'm sure they'll work with you. No one is going to force anything down your throat.
>>
I used to get panic attacks all the time and they suddenly disappeared. I still get them when I don't sleep well (I usually stay awake a day or two because sometimes I just can't sleep), figured they're related.

Not sure if it helps, but try to get eating and sleeping in order, not sure that pills will do much for you. Maybe go to a psychiatrist if it's really bad, but there's the risk they'll shove medication down your throat. I tried Seroquel 400 once and it was fucking horrible.
>>
>>16671935
Yeah, I agree with this. On top of the added stress, because I'm a pizza delivery driver, my eating habits and sleeping habits are as penis as zoloft.

Perhaps, before you do anything else, get those under control and if you do; and they continue, then maybe psychiatry.
>>
>>16671928
I really feel like I don't have anything bothering me at all. If there is something it's subconscious that i can't control. the only thing I can think of is that I used to smoke cannabis, and had to stop a couple years ago cause it gave me panic attacks. could that have fucked my head up in some way?
>>
>>16671935
Well I hope mine just disappear. I'm quite the opposite though if i don't go to sleep they will hit me worse.
>>
Anyway, thanks for the talk guys. Just gonna take it a day at a time and see what happens.
>>
>>16671946
I doubt it. It probably did some damage, but nothing serious and recovery is always an option.
>>
like this anon said
>>16671852
there is treatment. basically face your fears

I once had bad side effects from medications that made me suicidal and psychotic.
for 2 weeks I literally had a panic attack every second of my waking hour. I could only sleep with benzos and couldnt take them the rest of the time. even when I slept, I woke up frequently at the feeling of my body actually relaxing for once as if i just fell a great height.
I had sleep paralysis from all the stress. Luckily no horrorish things happened. I mostly thought I was having a stroke and went back to sleep.

Basically I went through a lot of shit I could not stop my mind from doing and wanted to die, but I held on deeply to those I love.
It was only temporary so I came back, but Ive almost never had a panic attack since. Nothing could compare. once you get the worst fears out of the way its not so bad.
>>
If you don't want to take antidepressants, how about trying an antipsychotic?
Also, exposure therapy. I couldn't make out whether you're suffering from GAD or panic disorder, but both of those are highly responsive to psychotherapy either way. Get treatment.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.