[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would some kind anon mind giving me advice on my resume?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 00001.jpg (646 KB, 1530x1980) Image search: [Google]
00001.jpg
646 KB, 1530x1980
Would some kind anon mind giving me advice on my resume?
>>
Any general comments?

I'm a junior in college trying to land an internship.
>>
OCR is coming up. bump
>>
>>16671576
i ain't gonna read all that shit and neither is anyone else

shorten it up
>>
>>16671682
Oh really?
It is only one page though, not expanded or anything, and everything is already really cut down. I don't know what to take out then.
>>
You know how the first and last 30 seconds of a speech are the most important? Yeah, you need to spice it up a bit. Start and end with a bang.

Put 'professional arsonist' at the top, and 'full-time pedophile' at the end. You'll get lots of calls.
>>
>>16671702
I understand the point about spicing things up, if you're serious at all about doing that. Any idea of something I should really put?
>>
>>16671702
The pedophile work was only part-time though
>>
>>16671707
Add a bit of color, tastefully. Use one of the google docs resume templates, because your resume looks kind of bland visually in general. They have templates in red, green, and blue as I recall, and they all look professional.

I'm serious about the other parts too by the way. Just about everyone who is in any sort of position of major real world power is probably a pedophile. It's like knowing the secret handshake.
>>
>>16671576
tl;dr
>>
>>16671576
stfu and give me 30$
[email protected]
>>
>>16671718
It's one page though. Like what am I supposed to take out?
Nobody reads it so nobody knows.
I don't know either.

>>16671716
I am looking into the google docs resume templates, thanks for that.

I think my university screens these before I send them out lol "full-time pedophile" will get me expelled.
>>
>>16671723
I'm done joking about the pedophile thing, but why do you have your name blanked out in your resume when it's easily accessible through your linkedin? Just thought I'd give you the heads up.

I'm not an employer, just another college student actually, but I don't see anything wrong with your information. People on the internet just have a short attention span.
>>
cut the "professional summary" bullshit. that's not even a thing. the objective statement is supposed to go there except nobody gives a fuck about objectives statements because everybody knows you just want a fucking job. also, since your a fucking geek and do a bunch of nerdy stuff youre probably one of those people that could 'tailer' their resume to the position your applying for. cut out the stuff that isn't relevant to landing an internship at the firms youre applying for. keep in mind you may need to make a few different resumes for different types of positions
>>
>>16671728
I thought about that but figured if anyone wants to visit my LinkedIn and actually see it they can see my name, the resume again, and everything since my profile is public, but directly putting my phone number and e-mail in a 4chan thread seemed like a bad idea.
Thank you.

>>16671735
I see, so I should remove the summary altogether or just replace it with an objective then.

I would very much like to tailor my resume to different positions but I don't have much to work with. My LinkedIn has more but for the most part everything related to finance, actuarial science or risk assessment in general is on there, with the rest thrown in to show well-roundedness and soft skills.

I really appreciate this feedback though. I will try to tailor it to different positions as you said and see what to do about the summary section.
>>
>>16671743
In addition to the other guy's note, the advice I got from my college career center was to make two separate sections for my resume - 'relevant experience,' and 'other experience.' All experience relevant to the position would be highlighted with more detail, other experience would be put in a section below.

This way you can tailor it while leaving in other accomplishments that may still be helpful.
>>
>>16671751
It just feels like my experience is so scattered right now that I have no relevant experience and I'm looking for my first position. I agree this is a great idea, I'm just not sure what I could put.

Basically I want to get a job as an analyst of some kind, whether that's a business analyst, analyzing risk for insurance, anything like that. But all my experience that could possibly be considered related is in that resume already and none of it seems to be relevant.
>>
>>16671766
I'm not on your particular career track so I can't help you there, good luck though
>>
>>16671769
I appreciate it
>>
>>16671743

i just reread it. change the biliterate (not even a word) to multilingual in french, korean, AND ENGLISH. thats just one of those commonsensically stupid things that could make a person throw it out immediately

take this guys advice.
>>16671751
itemize your relevant experience to the internship item for item like a work history. no "professional summary" no "objectives" or anything like that. from there. figure out what is more helpful, your education, or your past work experience. which ever it is. that goes on top.

get rid of the "professional activities" section. its basically the exact same thing as "professional summary" except you take the other half and put it on the bottom. find the most relevant things from that list in turn and put them under the "experience" or "work history" section (only use one of these though, NEVER both. but in your case just go with experience)

oh some more things. generally you only show your past three employers. nobody is trying to read your live story.
>>
>>16671781
All good and I will do this. Thanks.
>>
>>16671781
i keep forgetting stuff.

for
>figure out what is more helpful, your education, or your past work experience. which ever it is. that goes on top.

i should have been more specific. if you dont have relevant experience, just go with your most recent work history (only three though). also your actuarial exams will need to be ranked against your education, experience/history, exams again ordering most relevant to least relevant

it probably wouldn't hurt to shoot for 3-5 points for you experience/history either if theres stuff that would look good.

also, post this on /biz/ last time i check the still do this

otherwise, nice easy to read and consistent formatting.
>>
>>16671807
So to be clear, under "Experience" you are saying to put a maximum of three employers and also expand upon a position of leadership/volunteering or two, such as the "Actuarial Society Marketing Committee Member" thing at the bottom, for a total of 4-5 titles under experience, correct?

Thank you very much, this has been very helpful.
>>
>>16671815
nope. see you're "leadership &experience" section (which i assume is your work history, in which case you would just call it that)? see how they have 3 points each? that can be expanded up to 5 points each if it would be helpful. just dont fluff it with things like

>took out the trash and cleaned bathroom

for the sake of it, if that makes sense. you only want your last three jobs/ or relevant stuff.
>>
>>16671576
ça me semble déjà correct comme ça. Éventuellement les catégories en couleurs moins pâles (autre que le gris que tu as choisi, quelque chose que je vois plus tourner vers du cyan. Personnellement, j'aurais ajouté une photo officielle, comme une photo d'identité dans le coin suppérieur droit de ton CV... Pour le reste, je ne suis pas en mesure de t'aider vu que tu es déja beaucoup plus loin que moi...
>>
Change "Professional Summary" to "Objective".

Change "Leadership and Experience" to "Experience". You're looking for an intern job, not management.

Put your experience before education, skills, etc... since you have pertinent experience.

Label your jobs as internships (assuming they were) since they are all short term jobs and without that explanation (and looking at your education dates) people may think you can't hold a job for moire than a few months.
>>
>>16671576

You have a 3.6 GPA in mathematics, and you don't feel that you're smart enough to write a resume for yourself?
But you'd trust the advice of complete strangers in an Internet image board?
>>
>>16671716
>They have templates in red, green, and blue as I recall

This is THE WORST ADVICE that can be given.
>>
You don't actually want advice on 4chan. You're just trying to brag that you go to UPenn and you're applying for a job and you're better than everyone else on here.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.