[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How should I play out my life from here on out: >20, live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1434942966953_0.jpg (45 KB, 540x523) Image search: [Google]
1434942966953_0.jpg
45 KB, 540x523
How should I play out my life from here on out:

>20, live in Indy (Moved from a Rural Area), Graduate in November for Information Systems/Network Security
> Been trying for over a year for Internships, researching into companies, tailoring Resumes/cover leaders, getting constant rejections for even Entry Level Java to get my foot in the door
>Been miserable, made one friend I found online and she's cool as hell but Bf/Job/School gives us little interaction.
>Father/8 year family doctor, in my Hometown knows the owner of a Hospital well and my degree is in high demand there, might be guaranteed a job, lower cost of living, my Best friend. primary family and a few family friends are there, Only mother in Indy

Here is what I'm thinking:
If I stay up here, I could live with my mother for a little longer, and look for a job to advance a more successful long term career. But I'm miserable. Completely Miserable. I'll end up living in a studio alone here.

If I move back home, there is NO other opportunities there if I get an apartment with my best friend there. I could always just play GTAV with my friend in Indy and have about the same interaction we get now but nothing more. I think I'd be happier down there but I don't think. Both are a big deal generally.

I know it looks like it seems the better option to live my life back home but I'd like some other perspectives. Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>16667028
>there is NO other opportunities there
The job is pretty much guaranteed though, right? In high demand and your father knows the owner? If you're a shoe-in I'd say move back home, get the job, try to be comfortable and save up money while getting that job experience and then just look for other opportunities elsewhere if you really want to leave again.
And if you're making some cash you can always use it to help mom out, right?
>>
>>16667035
>>16667035
I'm hesitant to say guarantee cause of the way jobs are. I told father to hold off on asking until later in the year when I'm fully convinced this is the better choice. Combine this income and my friend working in a distribution center. I'd have far less money troubles there.
>>
>>16667040
>until later in the year
I'm not familiar with the situation, so I don't know how long you really have, but I'd assume that the position will be filled sooner rather than later.
Anyway, from what you said, I don't see what's really holding you back aside from the lack of other job opportunities. I mean, from what you're telling me, living where you are now hasn't turned up anything either, right?
>>
>>16667048
Yes, Yet. But Indy is a big place so at this point I'm fighting burn out. Career services at my school/technical recruiter I found haven't found much. If I stayed up here I'd work on certificates to boost my chances but its basically kill my self to possibly have a better future or just finally relax and be financially stable while living with a friend
>>
>>16667054
Well it's your call, but if you're really feeling that awful about where you are right now and you've got this job lined up back home, I'd say go for it. Even if you have to do something like live out of your dad's place until you know whether or not the hospital hires you.
>>
>>16667061
Thanks. I'm just trying not to be rash here.
>>
>>16667028
Just move bad OP, thats what I'd do. Just remember it doesnt have to be forever. Work a few years there, move up in the rankings, maybe see if you can become a regional something. and if not, you can save up some money to move somewhere you'd actually like, be it another city or another country, and use the few years experience on your resume to finally get a job rather than be rejected from internships. My buddy worked at his parents(family friends?) law firm for a few years and moved away cuz then he could get a job working in politics in austin. He got a few extra years of bullshitting with our friends that are still there and now he's on his way to a career in politics. Its a good place to start mayne, do it.
>>
>>16667072
Speaking as a guy a few years older than you who was in a similar situation after graduating, I'd say don't worry about being rash.
Work experience now is better than holding out and not having any later. Even if you can't see other opportunities beyond your home town right now, they will present themselves if you look for them later, and by then you'll have the experience you need to get them.
>>
>>16667078
>>16667074

Yea. I could always move back years and years later. The other tempting thing is I can get my shit together. Environment is less stressful down there. I'm just now trying to find out why I'm resistive
>>
>>16667095
I guess I half believe I can find something here between now and then it just bugs me
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.