[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fashion model industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: model.jpg (484 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
model.jpg
484 KB, 1920x1200
Anyone worked in the fashion model industry? What is it like?
>>
>>16663535

Model here. What would you like to know?
>>
>>16663535
Models?
On 4chan?

HA HA HA HA.
>>
>>16663540
How can I break into the industry? How is the pay and working condition? Some say that isn't not glamarous at all and mostly shit unless if you are one of those famous supermodels.
>>
Bunkbed. Lot of bunkbeds.
>>
>>16663550
I know you're skeptical, but it's true. I am a model.

I'm represented by Photogeninics in Los Angeles, Fusion and NEXT in NYC. I do mainly commercial, editorial and runway.

I like 4chan because it's hilarious. OP, what specifically would you like to know?
>>
>>16663559

I fell into it by accident. I was 'scouted' at the airport by a TV wardrobe professional. Hate to say it, but it was never my goal in life to be a model.

That being said, you have to look like someone that people like to look at. Either attractive, strong, versatile, unusual, just not 'boring'. Your looks have to sell products.

Make friends with people in the industry- photographers, makeup people, creative directors, recruiters, stylists, lighting, etc. Be a friendly person.

Glamorous? Sometimes. The pay is great, and contrary to what Tyra Banks tells you, it's fucking easy to do. You stand around and people look at you. There's always free food and gifted clothing.

Make sure you put together a 'book'- a collection of 12-15 really good and concise/versatile photos of you. Professionally taken (NOT HEADSHOTS!)

Lastly where are you located? LA, NYC, Paris are the places to be if you want consistent work
>>
File: Internet_dog.jpg (63 KB, 300x335) Image search: [Google]
Internet_dog.jpg
63 KB, 300x335
>>16663579
Bullshit
Oh well, on the internet, no one knows that you are a dog
>>
>>16663559
http://www.learnvest.com/2012/09/the-financial-realities-of-being-a-model/
>>
>>16663585

Anon model again. This is why I go on 4Chan, it's funny!

I'm at the dentist right now, OP. I'll be back in an hour if you want more info.
>>
>>16663617
Fucking bullshit. OP, just google "life of a model" on you'll see articles about how a lot of models are struggling to live a comfortable life.
Of course there are models who live comfortably, but not very many of them are. And by the time you are 30, no one will hire you anymore so you will need to find another job.
>>
>>16663585
Lol fag, 4chan's visitted by all kind of people despite what you read when some fags say that only social outcasts ans betas visit it.
>>
>>16663633
I'm not surprised that some models go on 4chan. I mean, 4chan has tens of thousands of users each day.
However, what this guy said about the modelling industry is bullshit so most likely he is catfishing and we should just dismiss what he has written.
OP do you know any models in real life? Talk to them instead.
>>
>>16663645

Back again, fucked up and thought my appointment was an hour earlier. Now I have 45 mins to kill

I love how you think everything I said was bullshit, but you haven't provided any reasons why. You also haven't shown any background in the industry so what makes you the expert?

I'm not famous or anything, I just wear clothes n shit to personify a brand image. Hollywood movies make it appear more dramatic than it really is. It's just a job that focuses on visuals.
>>
>>16663674
You make your job sound easy as fuck. From what I've seen in articles, most models earn extremely little.
>>
>>16663708
They probably try to live lavish lifestyles and can't afford it.
>>
>>16663717
From what I've read, some of these models live in model apartments with bunk beds and eat celery for dinner as they couldn't afford much else. How is that luxurious?
Just read: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2208508/I-money-waitressing-posing-camera-One-model-reveals-financial-realities-career.html
Pretty sure a Daily Mail article is more reliable than some stranger claiming to be a model on 4chan. Don't trust him, OP.
>>
>>16663708
It should also depend on where you live too and your luck.

Modelling (at least the one that involves just posing and getting pics taken) isn't a skill, it depends entirely on your looks, luck and contacts in the industry.
>>
>>16663708

The job itself is easy. All the effort comes from the people who work behind the camera. Taking a photo of a person is like taking a photo of a car- the car isn't really working.

That being said, all of my career effort is INDIRECT. I make sure to show up on time, be friendly and cooperative (you'll meet many models that are arrogant because they are 'modeling'), and I try to leave a good impression with clients so that I can get booked for more jobs.

It pays well when you are with the right agencies. I've had 2 day projects that paid $700 (low end), I've had commercials that pay $25k plus residuals for only 2 days of filming. All the people you see in commercials / ads are models and actors. Is it that hard to believe? Not everybody is a glamour star.

Getting work is the work part of the job. I just try my hardest to stay connected to the industry, and make solid relationships. I love within my means, and save my money because this isn't going to last forever. But one day I would like to get behind the scenes, and this is a great way to do it. Thats my story, believe it or not. You read articles, I do this shit every day.

Now back to OP, anything I can help you with?
>>
>>16663735
Yeah luck, but what are your chances of being another Miranda Kerr? Very few models can make a living out of modelling. I mean, it is hard to find modelling jobs past the age of 30.
Learning to pose is a skill.
>>
>>16663743
OP read this:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/relationships/the-reality-of-modelling-its-not-so-pretty/article548103/
http://www.whowhatwear.com/bleak-reality-of-being-a-runway-model-real-account-eating-disorders-in-fashion
You are just some faggot giving shitty advice and trying to ruin someone's live. I mean, who are you? Someone who got into the modelling industry yet end up broke and now you are posting shitty advice as you think that the world owes you or some shit?
Fuck off
Or maybe you are just really lucky. Your experience does not represent the "average" model's experience. Just because a Victoria's Secret Angel happens to be posting online about how glamarous her life is, doesn't mean all the post's readers will end up the same.
>>
>>16663759
Why are you so mad? I'm not a Victoria's Secret angel, plus IM A DUDE. I'm not telling you how to be Miranda Kerr, bc I'm nowhere near that.

But Miranda Kerr isn't the only model, moron. Look at ads for Express, Joe's jeans, arrowhead water, sketchers, Levi's, etc. Look at the people wearing T shirts on the Nike webstore site. Are those people famous? No. Will they be famous? No. Are they models? Yes.

You have a narrow mind and you have no idea what you're talking about. Mad for no reason. I'm not talking about how to be a Hollywood icon, I'm sharing my experience on modeling.

Time to get my tooth looked at. Back in an hour.
>>
>>16663579
HA. Show us your dick!
>>
>>16663779
Models almost work for free. At least most of these non-famous models do.
>>
>>16664008
Adding to this, just read this OP:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/how-much-can-model-expect-get-paid-average-read-post-1-thread-rules-59674.html
>>
>>16663535
Yes, yes I have.

They will do EVERYTHING to hold you back. BELIEVE in your dreams senpai. FIGHT for your passion dawg. LISTEN to the kids bro.
>>
>>16664008

You simply have no idea what you're talking about. Your idea of models are people that are the face of a company, move into major hollywood movies, make zillions of dollars, and become household names.

Take a look at these sites. See the people on there? That's what the average model does:

http://www.lacoste.com/us/lacoste/sale/men-s-sale/

http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/category/men/clothing

http://shop.lululemon.com/?

Do you see these people? They are just looking good in clothing, trying to convey a marketable image. They are getting paid pretty well too. Cut the bullshit, thinking that the fashion industry is just people starving themselves, gayness, glitz, glamour, and immediate poverty.

Being a model means being an asset to the creative/ consumer facing side of business. Make sense?

"starving, poor models" is just sensationalized drama. But then again, what do I know- I'm not and probably will never be famous. I don't care. I just get paid to be in front of a camera with a client's product.

'Models' that aren't making money are just people pretending to be something they are not. Just because I like to cook doesnt mean Im a chef. Just because Some people try to become hollywood stars doesn't make them models/actors. You have to get signed up with an agency, get booked on jobs, get paid, and repeat.

If you think everything i said is bullshit, then you're not looking to have a convo about it.
Scroll around these sites, look at t
>>
>>16663779
i know who you are. You're the guy who appears un Marina & The Diamonds' How To Be a Heartbreaker vídeo and you play Habbo. I'm Yukinokko.
>>
The fashion industry is very versatile... There are low paid models, models who basically starve themselves to death to get a job and then there is the glamour part of it when you get pretty much everything served but only for as long as you do a good job. To make a lot of money you have to be a commercial model, big campaigns, big commercials, etc. Most are "catalog models" and never get further than that. Magazines can get you famous, but rarely pays well if you are not already famous.

Honestly, most people can be a model but it's fucking hard to get far with it. You have to build contacts and spark an interest. But keep in mind, you are basically going to be a doll for the rest of your model career and people will see you as an object because for them you are work; a canvas, a thing to sell other things with. Not like people are mean, they are only trying to do their job after all. But it's always going to be your fault if something doesn't look right.

I work as a retoucher, so I go to a lot of photoshoots and my job is literally to pick out everything that is flawed with a model so I won't be spending 2 hours trying to fix it. I've seen models cry when people get frustrated because they aren't getting the picture they want, faint because of malnutrition and having other people's fingers in their mouth because their fingers were too short, bony, fat etc. Becoming a super model like Barbara Palvin is not going to happen unless Anna Wintour decides it. Frankly you will have more luck becoming Raf Simmons friend and he will possibly put you on runway because he likes you – but that won't give you tickets around the world, fame and money.
>>
>>16663565
>4chan is hilarious

HA HA HA HA

Stop it you're killing me.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.