[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fellow ESLfag from Germany here. How can I learn to speak with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: heidi klum hairstyle 2012.jpg (152 KB, 570x844) Image search: [Google]
heidi klum hairstyle 2012.jpg
152 KB, 570x844
Fellow ESLfag from Germany here. How can I learn to speak with an American accent like Heidi Klum (pic related)? I watched this TV show with her a while ago and her English is so good I couldn't tell she's not American.
>>
Mimic how americans talk. Adjust your voice or w/e. Ace ESL and then keep practicing.
>>
personally I think her English sounds totally fluent but her accent is still there

definitely try make sure you listen a lot to native speakers and not only German speakers speaking English if you care about sounding native. I think with foreign languages, youll always have an accent to some extent and honestly unless it's really heavy, it doesn't matter. heidi klum can express her ideas clearly - the accent is a non issue
>>
>>16663165
Really? I can't detect any German in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88c0N0yad7A
She sounds fully American to me.
>>
DON'T. EVEN. TRY.

Seriously, people with fake accents are the worst ever, especially Germans. I have been living abroad for almost five years now (I'm German) and every native speaker I talks to says this. Also, if you think Heidi Klum does not have an accent in these videos you posted, that's another sign you shouldn't do it, because she has. It's not strong and I guess most people don't mind, but it is definitely there.

There are more non-native English speakers than native ones in the world, everyone is used to hear accents. Just practice your English, try to counter typical German mistakes in English (pronounciation and grammar-wise stuff), and remain self aware. Putting on a fake tone of voice and filling every sentence up with "like..." and "uuuhm..." is gonna make sound like a retard, not like an American (which is not a desirable accent anyway if you ask me).

Also: Quit your fake internet talk. "Fellow ESLfag"? What are you, 14? This is not /b/.
>>
>>16663373
I really don't think Heidi Klum has an accent. It's all American to me and I can't detect any German sounds. I think her accent is cool.
I am a newfag...
>>
y tho?

I am german aswell and have a decend english. but accent only matters to superficial and stupid people are you one of those?
>>
>>16663394
I like the American accent.
>>
bump
People just tell me to keep my accent?
>>
>>16663124
Heidi Klum is the ideal European white woman. Absolute perfection.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.