[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to move out. Currently saving (have 3k tucked away). Can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: box-house-thumb-400x300.jpg (46 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
box-house-thumb-400x300.jpg
46 KB, 400x300
Trying to move out. Currently saving (have 3k tucked away). Can you live fairly comfortably on 1,400-1,600 a month? Rent is 600-900 with most utilities included for a 1br/studio where I'm at.

Car insurance is $90. I only drive to work and occasionally go out (maybe once a week). I occasionally need another work shirt or a new pair of socks. Food is probably $250-300 a month. Phone is $48. Need internet.
>>
>>16661333
How does one get insurance so cheap? If I got on my own policy it'd be $200 a month for a $700 car with state minimum coverage.
>>
Cheapo lifestyle

Rent: $600
Food: $150
Basic utilities: $50
Car (gas/maintenance): $100
Car insurance: let's say $100 for rounding
Phone+Internet: $100
General needs (clothes/household items): $100
Student loans: ?
Health insurance: ?
Other health needs: ?
Other bills/loans: ?
Entertainment: ?

This is the cheapo, lower-middle class lifestyle. You'll be cutting it close either way, and you're fucked to high heaven if you get sick or injured (or even get a girlfriend you have to buy dinner for).
>>
I HIGHLY recommend getting a roommate unless you want to live barebones paycheck to paycheck
>>
>>16661337
I'm not sure how it worked out, but I'm on statefarm and pseudo-on my grandparents insurance.

We have separate bills and one doesn't affect another if one gets in an accident, but I get their good driving record even though I just started driving one year ago. The agent is super chill tho so mabye that has to do with it.

>>16661358
That'd be tight but I think I can do it. That'd leave me with 200-400 a month. Really not much but idk if I have a choice.
>>
>>16661337
Be over 25.
Get the least amount of liability insurance possible.
Own your vehicle and not have payments.
Shop around.

My insurance was $80/month and I could have gotten it even cheaper by about $20. I say was because it's $135/month now because I have to file an SR-22.

I'm 29 and my truck is 15 years old and been paid off for like 10 years.
>>
>>16661377
What kind of savings would a roommate give me? Rent would be 500 instead of 600, but what else? utilities would save me maybe 50.
>>
>>16661384
Whatever the rent is, split it by how many roommates you have. This also allows you to pay for a 2- or 3-bedroom jointly, which is going to be much cheaper than a studio. You'll also divide those utility and household bills probably.
>>
>>16661398
>much cheaper

Not really. At least from my math. a studio goes for 600-800. A 2br is 1100-1200.
>>
>>16661404
A 2BR (most likely) will also have more than double the studio's square footage (like a full living room or something). You'd have to post the specifics of where you're looking if you want a more in-depth analysis.
>>
File: pool6.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pool6.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>16661421
A bigger place is actually a downside to me. More to clean, and I don't get claustrophobic.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/ is the area I'm looking at,

and south Sarasota...
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/
>>
>>16661624
>https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/

Yeah, I didn't consider a lot of things, I figured you were just dealing with an apartment alone. Parking/garage will also cost you. So will "upgrading" through amenities - some of this stuff has pools/is in low-crime areas/is premium/is downtown compared to the basic studio setup. Some are free-standing single family homes of 3 bedrooms, others are 3-bedroom apartments in a greater complex.

Also be sure to take into account how relocating would affect your commute. That $600 apartment may mean you spend an extra half hour driving to work each day if it's in the middle of nowhere.
>>
That's about what I lived on when I was in graduate school, and I think you're going to find it difficult unless you can find a cheaper rent situation. Maybe rent a room in someone else's house? I was making about $1300, in a fairly low cost area (Omaha), and it was still somewhat of a struggle even when rent and utilities were only around $450. Generally the rule of thumb for "comfortable" living is that necessaries are 50% of your net monthly income or less, then you can save 30% and have 20% for discretionary things.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.