[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people think I'm stupid? I've made high grades
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: freud-in-30s-audio-and-video.jpg (1 MB, 2957x2153) Image search: [Google]
freud-in-30s-audio-and-video.jpg
1 MB, 2957x2153
Why do people think I'm stupid?

I've made high grades in university thus far (except for a high C in bio...), always stated in my teacher's LoR's I'm the best writer during the semester teaching the course, will make very high grades on most tests studying very little, and have written many papers with feedback that it's of graduate level. I'm an undergrad, with a publishable thesis projected to be completed during my sophomore year. However, I absolutely suck at math, and any sort of thought process I might apply to it always is wrong.

However at work I've sucked at my jobs, have gotten so many coworkers assuming I'm challenged, and sometimes tasks will be cumbersome for me. I'll space out and think about other things all the time. I'm a generally very introverted, quiet person, can be confused easily though that's gotten better since taking Prozac. I don't really display emotion and can be thoughtless in certain things when rushed.

My peers in high school would either think of me as extraordinarily smart or intellectually disabled. Would get comments like "Shut up Kelly, you're stupid anyways." In back of the class I'd hear "lol, she's like, fucking retarded why is she here" ... I was always very very quiet. things like this eased up as I became more verbal. I would just sit in class and write all day, I have bins of notebooks of poetry that was... abstract to say the least. I've had a teacher in high school call me an airhead and then try to cover it up as a joke.

I don't understand this... help anyone? Am I actually intellectually disabled? I used to have really bad problems with hygiene too, though that's improved since maturing and taking meds. Being treated stupidly really hurts me, moreso I'm planning to pursue post-grad and want/need others to listen to what I have to say if I want to succeed. Help !
>>
Book smarts are just one type of intelligence, and arguably not the most important. Your grades are not an indication of how smart you are overall. I know so many people who get goods grades, but are terribly stunted in other areas like common sense. Most of them are STEM majors too, for some reason.
>>
Being perceived as intelligent is totally different.

People are retarded and associate smarts with TV/movie behavior.

Dressing in like a cardigan and wearing glasses? Smart.

Poor hygeine chub in a hoodie that is likely a math autist? Retard.
>>
>>16659297
I'm a linguistics major. I'd definitely say there's a reason for someone to make high grades. It all depends on the class, but even straight textbook information shows something. There's a process for getting the information from the book into one's head precisely and accurately.
>>
Could you be on the autism spectrum? That generally comes with high book smarts but poor social skills.
>>
grades don't mean you're smart. but you do seem smart, if cocky.

just ignore people.
>>
>>16659305
I wasn't discounting grades as a type of intelligence, but my point was that it's not normally the type that's most important in day to day interactions.
>>
>>16659301
Suppose you're right. I guess I'm being insecure since I am deficient in certain areas. Fundamental attribution error...

>>16659297
I should also clarify that someone making poor grades does not mean stupidity. Psychometricians havent even determined what intelligence really is yet, although intellect can be measured.
>>
>>16659311
oh. yes I agree with you... I'm socially inept, unfortunately

>>16659308
I havent been diagnosed. should i see someone?
>>
>>16659317
>I should also clarify that someone making poor grades does not mean stupidity
Of course not, at least not in all circumstances. It works both ways: grades really aren't necessarily a good indicator of how smart or dumb you are. 'Smart' people can get bad grades, 'dumb' people can get good grades.
>>
>>16659320
>I havent been diagnosed. should i see someone?

It couldn't hurt.
>>
>>16659289
I'm average when it comes to my academic performance. I'm quiet and introverted too, but I've been told I'm charismatic and I'm pleasant to be around. I know a lot about literature, art, history etc. outside of my uni degree and I focus on that stuff a lot more than my uni degree, to the extent that someone told me that I'm probably smarter than them, I just don't care enough about my uni shit. Learn to become a more pleasant person. Ask for help if you need it too.
>>
>>16659357
how do I become a pleasant person? i have trouble with eye contact
>>
Stupid is as stupid does.
>>
>>16659308
>Could you be on the autism spectrum? That generally comes with high book smarts but poor social skills.

Could you elaborate, is being treated like that generally indicative of autism? Do you have experience with that?
>>
>>16659332
what are the benefits?
>>
I'm 6'5 and weigh 250. Basically I'm a fat guy. Not humongo. But I'm fat.

Although, people have always considered me very wise and intelligent. And desu it's not because I'm wise or intelligent. We all have an "aura" that we give off. It's part of are personality and we wear it like clothing.

Basically if you want people to think you're intelligent you have to look it and sound it. Anticipate their expectations and modulate yourself. Ofc it's easy to spot a phony though.

I recommend just being yourself. The human self is genius in and of itself. You don't need their sympathy or confirmation. You can't be sorry for who you are.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.