[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got busted by the police. I'm 18 years old, and I got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: car1.jpg (191 KB, 1139x760) Image search: [Google]
car1.jpg
191 KB, 1139x760
Just got busted by the police. I'm 18 years old, and I got hit with 3 misdemeanors. Possession, paraphernalia, and corruption of a minor. It's my first offense. How fucked am I?
>>
>>16654020
Just google it. It will differ from state to state so add that in your search.

Considering the crime I doubt there's a chance you can fight it because it's fairly cut and dry. That being said don't hire a lawyer because it'll be a waste of money. Just use a court appointed. It'll be a lot cheaper. You'll get the chance to ask for one when you go to court the first time.

You'll have to pay a fine and court costs for sure. Depending on the amount of weed, I'm guessing it was weed, you probably won't get much else than that depending on the state.
>>
>>16654039
Actually, you don't even really need a lawyer. You can just represent yourself and plead guilty right off the bat then take a plea bargain.
>>
>>16654039
just adding to what this anon said with some general advice, always remember rule number one after you've been arrested, never speak to police unless you have a lawyer present. The stuff they've got you on is pretty minor but if you ever get accused of something more serious down the road, even if you're absolutely guilty, even if they've been keeping you chained to a desk for the past 4 hours and as soon as they bring you in to interrogation they say your partner already rolled on you, no matter what they promise you the only thing you should ever say is "I want a lawyer".

There's no way you can talk yourself out of anything in an interrogation room. Its actually in the law that transcripts of police interrogations cannot be used in your defense. So even if something does happen during the interrogation that is in your favor if you try to bring it up at your trial the prosecutor will object and the judge will sustain it.
>>
>>16654039
It was weed, and the cop really wants me to rat out on my dealer. I don't know what to do.
>>16654042
Will do.
>>16654048
I wasn't arrested, I was allowed to go home as the charges are pending.
>>
>>16654048
No offense but you're watching too much television. They only hold you like that and interrogate you if it's a serious crime or some sort of felony. A misdemeanor isn't going to get you that far up shit creek.

Cops will do like OP is saying though and put pressure on your during in arrest to get a dealer. The only reason they do that is to get more recognition for themselves if and when they make a bust, and maybe in the slightest because they believe in cleaning up the streets and all that jazz.
>>16654048
You don't need to rat out your dealer. There's nothing to gain or lose by doing it in your case. It's not like they'll magically drop the charges on you if you do. You're fucked for what you're fucked for no matter what. It's a money grab and they got you.
>>
Ask Rachel Hoffman what might happen if you work with the police (Google her). Don't listen to these fools, you need to go see a lawyer tomorrow.
>>
>>16654069
>No offense but you're watching too much television
lol, I'm a cop

was just giving general advice to anyone who ever finds themselves arrested
>>
>>16654070
He doesn't need to see a lawyer. It's a waste of his money he's going to need to pay court costs, fines, and anything else that incurs. They have physical evidence which is admissible in court. He can't fight it. A lawyer will just literally be a go between person doing everything OP could do himself.

I've been to arrested, been to jail, been to court etc. I've been through the process.

Don't listen to THIS fool.
>>
>>16654079
I apologize. I didn't infer that from what you said and just assumed you meant what you said in all cases.

Thanks for your service.
>>
>>16654082
>>16654088
>>16654070
Thanks for the advice. I don't know what to really do right now, I'm just worried about jail time but I think I have a good chance at probation.
>>
>>16654020

>Permanently. Welcome to adulthood dumbass. You were warned, you didn't heed the warnings, and now you pay the lifelong price.

Thats the answer you get , but you just might get some slack cut on you if yoiu shut your fool dumbfuck kid-ass mouth, acknowledge you're a dumbass, continue to apologize to every face you encounter for the next year of your life even if you don't know em or owe em an apology......and basically humble yourself to society at large......you just might get off quite lightly and it wont impact the rest of your life.

Act like a cocky asshole and/or do anything less than what was just describe and yes you will be fucked for life.
>>
>>16654142
>2016
>minor weed charges
>not realizing how lax weed laws/punishment are getting
Even in the worst case scenario OP would not be fucked for life, and in a few years he could get it expunged from his record. Yeah he's young and he made a mistake. Give him a break. They fuck you in the ass more for DUI/DWI and it sticks with you longer if not forever... and alcohol is legal. Of course not while driving but the point is the stigma on something that is socially acceptable is far worse.

Anyway, get off your high horse faggot. People fuck up. Point is he needs to learn from his mistake and never repeat it. No need to be a dickhead about it.
>>
>>16654042
>You can just represent yourself and plead guilty right off the bat then take a plea bargain.
Uh wut?

If you plead guilty at arraignment, that's it. Next stop: sentencing. You cannot take a plea bargain because you have just given up what little leverage you have (agreeing to plead guilty to avoid the state expense of a trial in exchange for the prosecutor recommending a lower sentence than the judge might give you if you are found guilty at trial). Do not try to negotiate a plea yourself.

Get a lawyer, even if it's a public defender, and have them do the work on your behalf. If you have money for an experienced criminal lawyer, the more likely it is to end up with a more favorable outcome.

>>16654048
>Its actually in the law that transcripts of police interrogations cannot be used in your defense.
What jurisdiction are you making this claim for, Gitmo? Holy fuck is this factually wrong. Just the number of times that confessions have been thrown out because they were elicited from coercive interrogations should tell you that this isn't true.

What is true is that the dishonest tactics the police use may be deemed by a judge as irrelevant and unduly prejudicial for a jury to hear. That makes it grounds for an appeal if there's a good argument that it actually is relevant.

>>16654053
>the cop really wants me to rat out on my dealer. I don't know what to do.
Unless you get a lawyer to negotiate with the DA to completely drop the charges and provide you with relocation money (which they won't) this is a very good way to end up dead. The police in most jurisdictions do not have the authority to make a deal like this.

Is there an open air drug market in your area? (Corner boys selling drugs on the street.) You bought it from some black kid at night, you doubt you could recognize him again, but you're willing to try. Sorry, not sure, they kinda all look the same.
>>
>>16654256
>>16654166
I'm really just shooting for probation at this point. I think that's the best possible outcome for this situation.
>>
>>16654256
>What jurisdiction are you making this claim for, Gitmo? Holy fuck is this factually wrong
federal rule of evidence 801(d)(2)(a)
>>
>>16654266
I don't think you've bothered letting anyone know what jurisdiction you're in, but your most probable best outcome if this is a first offense, your jurisdiction/judge isn't super anal about pot, and you have a half-decent lawyer is a deferred verdict contingent on successfully completing probation or drug treatment. That way you finish up clean, conviction gets tossed, you have a clean record and can get a job doing something other than a menial service job.

If you get this, you should thank your lucky stars and actually stop with the drug shit.

But of course most drug users are morons.
>>
>>16654289
After what happened tonight, I'm done smoking for good.
>>
Are you a nigger?
>>
>>16654391
I'm half of one.
>>
>>16654289
>>16654256
I also forgot to mention that the pipe used wasn't mine. Will the paraphernalia charge still stick?
>>
>all these people saying not to hire a lawyer
I dunno dude, you might want a lawyer. I got a misdemeanor once, I hired a lawyer and it got lowered to an infraction. It helped that it was my first and only arrest and I had a job, also it cost quite a bit of money, but oof.
>>
>>16654632
I was planning on hiring a lawyer, I don't really care about the fees.
>>
>>16654674
I mean I got a DUI, so I got arrested for the night, and for whatever reason the judge let me go the next day, (that said, I always drive sober now) but I feel like if you didn't get arrested, how bad could it be? Like, just as far easing your mind. It's definitely not going to ruin the rest of your life or anything crazy like that.

But yeah you should probably lawyer up.
>>
>>16654271
oh ffs. Do you even know what that hearsay exception means? Are you somehow under the impression that it makes it ok for the prosecution to introduce the interrogation (or the results) but not the defense? Or do you think this means no one's allowed to introduce it?

>>16654549
I don't know the circumstances and I'm not going to speculate. Get a lawyer. By the way, if I wasn't clear before, if the police ask you to assist them in any way in exchange to drop charges, don't agree or disagree, let them know you need to discuss this with your attorney.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.