[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any chemists here who can tell me how difficult it is to try
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
Any chemists here who can tell me how difficult it is to try and manufacture potassium cyanide for self deliverance? I am a wannabe chemist trying to visit the great beyond.
>>
>>16650194
sodium cyanide is also okay.

I have charcoal, sodium carbonate and cyanuric acid.
>>
>>16650194
>>>/sci/
>>
>>16650268
I really hope they don't troll me hard, /adv/ is a tame nice friendly board. tje rest of 4chan is like /b/
>>
https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/nacn.txt
See the first synthesis, it's trivial enough to do at home.
Where to get the stuff:
Potassium ferrocyanide - photo lab stores. It can be produced at home too.
Sodium hydroxide - pipe cleaner
Sulfuric acid - the liquid from car batteries, you can boil it a bit to concentrate.
>>
>>16650341
Thank you for taking the time to find this but I have already tracked down my own ingredients to get the same result:
charcoal
sodium carbonate
cyanuric acid

These should be enough and they're easier to collect and produce NaCN without much experience in chemistry. I'm sure there are many ways to create NaCN/KCN/HCN but I have the above reactants and want to use only them. Thanks, btw potassium cyanide (KCN) is not NaCN but have the same toxicity I think.
>>
>>16650367
I know they aren't the same, but usually people are interested in the anion, not in the cation.

For general chemistry, you'll want the potassium salts better, since sodium has a nasty habit of pissing itself with the air moisture.

After some more googling, the process shouldn't be hard; it boils down to grinding the ingredients, mixing them, and heating the mix to 300°C. Do it in a fume hood just to be safe for the others who might go into your house.
>>
>>16650381
>has a nasty habit of pissing itself with the air moisture
What does that mean?

>Do it in a fume hood just to be safe for the others who might go into your house.
That is my one worry. But a fume hood costs a lot, I figured I'd buy a Bunsen burner that's portable so I can do this in an isolated outdoor area.
>>
>>16650413
>What does that mean?
Sodium salts are hygroscopic. Table salt is an example - if left alone, it'll eventually "grab" water molecules from the air to dissolve itself. I assume NaCN is the same.

>>16650413
>That is my one worry. But a fume hood costs a lot, I figured I'd buy a Bunsen burner that's portable so I can do this in an isolated outdoor area.
You can make a simple fume hood with cheap materials, ask /diy/.

That said. Don't you think it's a lot of trouble just to kill yourself?
>>
Cyanide is a super shitty way to die, anon. Have you considered other methods?
>>
>>16650433
It's not too much trouble. I thought of this yesterday and have only been researching for some hours.

I was thinking of making one but to me it seems simpler to just walk outside and do it far away form windows or people so nobody gets hurt.

I was going to do as you suggested: crush them, mix them, heat them, but then let it cool, filter it with water and let it dry. This would remove the soluble sodium cyanide from the insoluble carbon.

I was thinking of then just mixing it with water or lemonade right away, or sometime later that day. A tablespoon should be lethal fast on an empty stomach.
>>
>>16650436
Yeah, poison hemlock... but that kills you by paralyzing your respiratory system, you suffocate to death.

I don't think cyanide is a shitty death, it prevents the "krebs cycle" for going on, since it needs to repeat very quickly your cells soon die and you pass out in a minute.
>>
>>16650461
Don't mix it with lemonade; the sugar reacts with the cyanide into harmless stuff.

And you don't need a tablespoon, even a pinch kills you fast.

>>16650469
You don't feel like suffocating because it doesn't build CO2 up in your resp system.
>>
>>16650486
That's a really good tip if It's true, I find it hard to believe sugar neutralizes cyanide but water will be fine.
>>
>>16650501
The CHO radical in the sugar reacts with the anion and forms a harmless cyanohydrin. Some claim it's how Rasputin survived (they added the cyanide to his dessert).
>>
>>16650523
Damn, legit thanks. If you're still there, how do I know the burner is at 300 degrees Fahrenheit? Would it be easier to leave the crucible open and watch the liquid turn orange or red?
>>
>>16650553
>300 Fahrenheit
No, no, 300° Celsius. Roughly 550° Fahrenheit.

The temperature doesn't need to be exact; if you're going to use the Bunsen burner, see this: http://www.mr-damon.com/experiments/bunsen/
You'll want a blue flame, but not roaring blue.

Do not leave the crucible open, otherwise you'll literally burn the cyanide into carbon dioxide and nitrogen dioxide.
>>
>>16650570
I understand, keep it closed and burn it with a blue flame. How much time do you burn if you can't open the crucible while they burn? And do you need to accurately measure how much of each reactant you put in? Am I doing it right as follows?

-Crush the reactants into x parts (I assume equal parts)
-mix them
-put them in the crucible and burn for x minutes -with a blue flame
-wait for it to cool and you have the CN

You've said things that prevent disasters for me. I gotta say thank you, anon.
>>
>>16650604
"Close" the crucible with a dish of borosilicate glass; that way, the gasses produced there can escape, but air won't fuck that much with your reaction. It also allows you to see the ongoing reaction.

I have no idea on the amount of time; googling a bit to give you some reasonable answer.
>>
>>16650604
Similar reactions are conducted from anything between 15 minutes and one hour; still, I'm having a lot of trouble finding good info about this reaction, and DESU the ferrocyanide decomposition looks far more reliable.
>>
>>16650628
>>16650647
Brilliant. See you in the next life.
>>
File: Spongebob-and-Patrick-Laughing.gif (350 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
Spongebob-and-Patrick-Laughing.gif
350 KB, 500x344
>>16650194
>/adv/ is a tame nice friendly board.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.