[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My dad died 10 years ago and I just coincidently ran into one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 490x736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 490x736
My dad died 10 years ago and I just coincidently ran into one of his best friends who started telling me all these stories about him and I started blubbering like a baby. He wants me to meet the other people from my dads old crew and I feel like I'm going to cry again.

How can I not let sad emotions hit me so hard when I talk to them? I don't want to come off weak and whiny
>>
>>16646939
its your dead dad, the fuck are you supposed to act like?
>>
>>16646939
Perhaps you should try a hefty dose of man the fuck up? Crying about your dead dad won't do shit.
>>
Cry a lot before you go see them.

But this is such a nice way to honor your dad and learn more about him! Stay strong, OP. And I'm sure they miss him just like you do, they'll probably cry too.
>>
>>16646939
yeah you don't want to hold it in, that would just fuck with you and it's not okay or healthy. i'm sure they'd appreciate seeing how much you care about your dad, a best friend of theirs.
>>
>>16646939
How about to just stop crying like a fucking baby. You're embarrassing your dad, fuck.
>>
>>16646980
>>16647015

Good lord the edge is unbelievable. Can't you have some sympathy? It is his father for god's sake.

OP what you are doing is totally ok, you are a human being and that is a very normal thing.
>>
>>16646992
>hey bob guess who I ran into the other day
>who
>Jim kid, remember him
>oh hell yeah, Jim, how's that son of a gun kid doing
>heh, he was bawing his eyes out like a pansy
>ah shit, I thought Jim raised him better than that, wtf.
>>
>>16647026
Dude, it was 10 years ago. 10.
>>
>>16647035
So? It is not he is crying 24/7. But only when memories of him are recollected, unless you lost a loved one, specially one of your parents you will never understand the pain.
>>
>>16646988
This.
>>
>>16647035
Yes, he pretty fucking clearly didn't deal with all the grief back then, now did he? That's how grief works, sometimes you bury it or compartmentalize it and it lies dormant for YEARS until some random stimulus forces it back to the surface. An understanding of this comes naturally with maturity and life experience, and if you don't understand it, you're almost certainly a child. Stop giving advice if you're a child, all of you.
>>
>>16647035
so you either swallow your emotions like a dumbass or aren't as emotional as op or some others in this thread. good for you. i myself would be like op and prefer to be emotional instead of less emotional, even if it means uncomfortable situations. the stronger they are, the more they bring out in a moment
>>
Your dad is gone and hes never coming back. You need to remember all the good times and laugh bro. Celebrate the mans life. Have a beer, eat some chickenwings and laugh dude.
>>
Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't cried for my dad since the year he died, I've just got used to life without him so it's almost like there's a disconnect there and talking to his friend reminded me of how awesome of a guy he was.

I honestly feel even stronger after crying like it recharged myself...maybe now I won't even feel sad when talking to them. But fuck it I'll just be as authentic as possible, if it happens it happens.
>>
>>16647149
be yourself, as you said, and enjoy the meaningful experience(s) =)
>>
>>16647026
Yeah telling someone to stop being a blubbering bitch sure is edgy. You use that word and you have no idea what it means. Fuck off.
>>
>>16646939
Go see them
>>
>>16646939

Definitely go OP, hearing about your family from people who loved them can be a great experience. You will regret it if you don't.

Don't be so sad though. This is stupid advice obviously but I've managed to overcome the feelings you're talking about by really enjoying talking about my Dad, I love hearing about who he was. Make it something you really are curious about and you'll be okay.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.