[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Online dating: Yes or no? Pros and cons? Im looking to meet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: BREAKFAST.gif (2 MB, 320x362) Image search: [Google]
BREAKFAST.gif
2 MB, 320x362
Online dating:

Yes or no?

Pros and cons?

Im looking to meet more people. I have lots of chances to meet people in real life as Im quite a social person, but I'm also impatient with my downtime and kinda fancy the idea of meeting girls that are looking for the same sorta thing as me
>>
>>16643231
>cons

None really. What's the worst that can happen?
>>
>>16643250

I guess when you look at it like that

Im more thinking is it worth doing if you're looking to meet someone for a relationship, or is it not really that successful?
>>
>>16643269
Of course it can be successful. It can also be partially successful. Or not at all successful. Or anything. At the least you ought to get some dates.

There is literally no possible outcome from not trying at all that is better than trying it out. Well, except if you meet the girl of your dreams who will then stab you to death with an icepick on your wedding night.
>>
Give it a try. Know first that its usefulness heavily depends on where you live and how attractive you are. Similar to real life, but moreso.

Online dating has less nuance than real life dating too. It's necessarily more about self-commodification.

If you try it, don't expect too much, be realistic/patient, and don't let rejections go to your head.

I've used it briefly, and had some fun experiences because of it. Including pretty good sex.
>>
>>16643282

Thats good logic
Could apply that to life in general desu

>>16643283

Well I live in a coastal city area with tons of people my age, its a student town.
And I'm fairly good looking. Nothing crazy but I pretty decent looking. I'm not interested in online dating because I cant get girls, its more that I cant find the right kind of girl.

And I like the idea of a focused platform for meeting someone rather than hoping to meet someone if you know what I mean
>>
>>16643231

>yes or no

thats entirely dependent on you. theres no reason NOT to if you havent tried it. it should only ever be used to supplement your dating life. you shouldnt stop putting yourself out there. be careful not to develop a fear of real life rejection. just cuz you have tinder doesn't mean you should stop asking out the cute coffee shop girl.

be careful not to burn out on it either, as sitting there going through girls can inflate your ego and theirs. make sure you live in reality.

but other than that i say why not give it a try? there is nothing to lose. if you dont like it, you can stop. i personally got bored of it.
>>
Pros:

- It gives you access you a much larger dating pool than you ever normally would have.
- You meet a lot more diverse a dating pool than you would ever normally have.

Cons
- For some reason a lot of people go in with blind optimism thinking it's easy mode, get bitter because of that, and write it off. It's not easy mode. Truth is the success rates pretty much the same as cold pick-ups at a bar.
- A lot of people assume it's somewhere to DATE and get to know people and get yanked around because of it. It's not. It's somewhere to establish new points of contacts and securing a meet. That is it. If it takes you longer than 10 messages to do that, you're probably never going to meet.

I can definitely say I would never have met my girlfriend of nearly a year now if I didn't do online dating. She lives in a completely different city that I never go to, has completely different interests than me (though we've picked up a lot of shared ones), and isn't really the type I'd tend to talk to (both because we run in different social circles, and I'm not sure we'd ever have given each other a chance without the fating environment already having put our walls down.

We're also going to her friend's wedding in a couple months, and she met her fiance through the same dating site.

Online dating does work, you just can't go in having weird expectations, and realize that, just like approaching random girls at bars, you're going to fail more than you succeed that there's still a bit of a learning curve.
>>
>>16643366
>If it takes you longer than 10 messages to do that, you're probably never going to meet.

Fuck that, my messages sent to replies ratio is 119 to 1. And I'm quite good looking, and I send each message individually based on their profiles.

Hypergamy is a massive problem with online dating. Girls (and guys) are always after the super hot people. They won't "settle" like they will IRL.

That said, I've had a few gf's and fuck buddies from online dating.
>>
>>16643394
He meant 10 messages to the same person. He's telling him to get to the point.
>>
Online dating is only exciting after 18yo
>>
>>16643465
FFS is this board really filled with underage faggot kids?
>>
File: 1444540613595.gif (983 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1444540613595.gif
983 KB, 500x364
>>16643231
From personal experience (and from the relationship I'm in at the moment, actually)
>Pros
You meet people you might would not have met otherwise (depends on distance)
The people you do meet aren't garden variety.
If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.
>Cons
Lack of closeness/physical presence. (depends on distance)
The heartbreak can feel much worse depending on how long you're with the person.
Text (if you're going through a dating site or not) can come off harsh or cold so emotions can be blurred in that sense.

I met my boyfriend online and I probably would have never met him otherwise. He lives on the West Coast and I live in the Midwest but I'll actually be going to see him at the end of the month. We're total opposites but we have so many things in common at the same time which is why I think we work so well. OP, my biggest piece of advice for you would be to just jump in and try it. You're putting yourself out there in a different way but you'll never know if it'll work or not until you try. Best of luck.
>>
File: InternetDatingIsTragic.png (476 KB, 968x941) Image search: [Google]
InternetDatingIsTragic.png
476 KB, 968x941
>>16643231
>Online dating:
>Yes or no?
Depends on how big you are on messaging people and mostly getting no response or knocked back
>Pros and cons?
pros:
You can literally message shit loads of women and you will probably get a few replies and maybe a conversation
cons:
its a waste of time if you have an active social life

pic related is what you will encounter a lot of
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.