[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your advices to 18 years olds about stuff?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: CATPLE_WALLPAPERS_6814.jpg (125 KB, 1278x1279) Image search: [Google]
CATPLE_WALLPAPERS_6814.jpg
125 KB, 1278x1279
From college to buying stuff, house, people, finance and life in general.
What piece of advice do you think is useful?
>>
Nobody gives a shit that you haven't stuck your dick in anything yet at 18.
Or 19.
Or 20.
Or 21.
Or any age after that. It only gets bad when you make a big deal out of it and let it define who you are.

Probably best to get that one out of the way first.
>>
If you're going to college, apply for scholarships. This is literally free money for you, and if you do the math, the time spent working on this is basically you getting paid $200/hour for each one you earn.
>>
There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to a cheap community college instead of an expensive private school. Employers don't give a single fuck about what school you went to, just that you have a degree in the field you're applying for.

The exception is Ivy League schools and really high end jobs like working for the White House or NASA, but even they take people with the right knowledge and experience who didn't go to the "right" school.But if you're like 95% of us...dear god don't waste your money on expensive school loans. You will be thankful for it for the rest of your life.
>>
Stop playing video games.

No, seriously. Stop it right fucking now.

I'm contemplating suicide for not having any courage to go out and socialize with people.
>>
>>16643239
I do both, if you can't balance things like that, you need discipline.
>>
My best advice is to avoid bad breakups.

You may think that saying or doing something shitty during a breakup will be cathartic, but it will just make you feel worse. And no matter how much you may hate her during the breakup, you might feel differently later. Just bottle it up and be kind but firm.

I used to have a lot of awkward and embarrassing moments when I haphazardly ran into exes, and got a lot of friction with mutual friends. Since I started doing this, I've had friendly exes help me get jobs, do favors for me, help me network, and introduce me to new friends and eventual girlfriends.
>>
>>16643235
To add to this anon, experience beats educations. Obviously both is better than either alone, but if it has to be one or the other, opt for experience.

Try to avoid acting on anger. You might feel a little better in the moment, but it'll cost you down the line.

Trust is the most valuable, and most difficult to determine, attribute you can have in a relationship of any kind.
>>
>>16643436
Just here to verify experience > education
>>
>>16643202
Adding to this.

There's a difference between a short person and a manlet. There's a difference between a virgin and an incel. If you make a big deal of it, so that it greatly impacts your character, only then does it become a problem.

The funny thing is, some people in their mid 20's still haven't figured that out.
>>
>>16643185
Start working at soon as you can.

There are countless of people who are at their mid/late twenties striving to find a job simply because they have 0 experience.
>>
Read and study literature and philosophy.

Practice zazen meditation daily.

Try to keep a normal sleep schedule.

Keep yourself social.

Don't do anything in excess, including not doing anything in excess in excess.

Good luck!
>>
>>16643239
If you can't manage a hobby and your life you shouldn't have the audacity to give anyone advice you retarded aspie.
>>
>>16643615
this guy gets it
>>
>>16643573
I'm a youth care attendant at the YMCA, before that a dishwasher at Fazolis. I hope you mean intern experience because most 18 year old jobs aren't worth shit.
>>
>>16643615
You tell em
>>
>>16643643
what can you expect at your 18?

i'm talking about experience as a whole. Once you reach your mid/late 20's you'll be glad that you had enough experience from your younger days.

Also, working at younger ages is always good since it teaches you discipline and responsibility. Some attitudes that surprisingly some people can't have.
>>
You can be a bridge builder and build a thousand bridges. But suck just one dick and you're a cocksucking faggot for the rest of your life.
Don't do stupid shit for the pleasure of the moment. It's not worth it.
>>
Alcohol will make you fat. Don't get into the habit of drinking to excess regularly - it's a hard habit to break when your body starts to let you down.
>>
>>16643185
the only thing i regret not doing when i was 18 is not taking a good care of myself.
>not dressing good
>let myself go a little gained some weight
>not getting haircuts
>not taking care of my acne
>not wearing contact lenses
also acting like a beta
>>
Even if you're dead set on a major in college, take classes outside of it. I thought I wanted to be a doctor until my senior year of college, and I dearly wish I had taken an econ or a computer science class as a freshman as I might have changed my focus sooner.

If you are starting to think that maybe you should end a relationship, you should just do it. You shouldn't have to make a pro/con list to be with someone. Don't drag it out. And once it's over, cut contact. It's easier that way. And don't stay with someone who is mean to you because you aren't sure what you'll do without them. There are many better people out there.

I'm 21 now, and I wish I could tell my 18 year old self this.
>>
Don't fuck around in college. It's harder to go back later, so it's better to just get it done when you're young.

Start working out now. Your metabolism will slow down. Get into healthy habits while you're young, so you can keep them up and keep looking and feeling good for a long time.

Don't make a relationship a primary goal. If you meet the right person and it happens, great, but too many people place too high value in having a relationship, to the point that they barely care who it's with. A bad relationship is a lot worse than being alone.
>>
Ask more questions about peoples lives, it will help you understand what you want out of yours.

Fucking study, god damn it. Hard work practiced in any situation will transfer over towards a better mentality.

Don't smoke weed, it will slow you down mentally and make you waste hours doing nothing.

Stop wasting so much time playing video games.

Don't worry about getting your dick wet, just try to find someone who you get along with.

Stop staying up during weekdays.

Don't complain unless its deserved
>>
Pay off credit cards in a timely manner. Dont get yourself in an insane amount of debt like I did.

Save money and complete your prerequisites in community college. Don't be lazy, force yourself to study.

Don't let a shitty job fuck up your grades.
>>
File: aaaa.jpg (96 KB, 800x448) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.jpg
96 KB, 800x448
> lift more, dont smoke, dont drink, dont party
> sleep more
> learn about finance and business. The business and finance skills are much more useful and powerful than technology and engineering skills. If only I knew this when I was 18.
> give no fuck to relationships and women and your friends. Most (if not all) people in their twenty's are totally retarded

Pic related
PS: Im 31 years old
>>
>>16643202

Don't know about this - not having experience in useful things is a flaw.

>>16643206

A 1000 times this. Scholarships are the most significant boost normal people can realistically get in their life.

>>16643235

Don't know about this. Rankings do matter if real companies hire out of that school.

>>16643239

Mostly correct.

>>16643286

Mostly pretentious shit. Video games are a huge waste after you are "grown up."

>>16643328

Kind of insignificant point imo. Looks like dude had a bad experience that he is building up to be a tragedy.

>>16643436

Depends on the field, etc. Also, it's hard to get REAL experience before education in some fields.

>>16643519

Nope. Not going to be a doctor by being a nurse.

>>16643581

>Read and study literature and philosophy.

Why not history and chemistry books? Yea, exactly - nonpoint.

>Practice zazen meditation daily.

Why? Why not Tummo or Transcendental? Exactly.

>Try to keep a normal sleep schedule.

Agreed

>Keep yourself social.

To some degree.

>Don't do anything in excess, including not doing anything in excess in excess.

Non-statement.

>>16643615
>>16643625

lol the "hobby" defense

>>16644311

Yep, same with drugs, smoking, sugar, etc.
>>
>>16644646

learn about finance and business. The business and finance skills are much more useful and powerful than technology and engineering skills. If only I knew this when I was 18.

What are "Finance skills"? Putting money in your 401k?

Don't know if I agree with "don't party" as someone who did very little partying.
>>
Old oldfag here

I had a supportive immediate family I took for granted more than once or twice so that would be my best advice. Use the advantages that are presented to you and dont be afraid to craft new ones. My parents got me a $600 car when I turned 15 that only needed new belts, tires and some electrical work. I let it sit for four years and had to scrap it so I was car-less until i turned 19. That and know when NOT to listen to them. My mom had alot of baggage that fucked me up for a while.
>>
For the love of god and all that is holy fucking save money!!!!!
>>
Don't let people, even family, pressure you into studying something you don't want to study, major in a field that you're actually interested in.

Go to a university abroad.

Read books that broaden your horizons and introduce you to completely new concepts, instead of sticking to the safe stuff you already know much about.

Don't be afraid show more interest in women.
>>
Controversial opinion inbound.

If you really don't know what to do with your life, and you're going to go into college just because you feel like you have to and especially if you're going to go in undecided...

Well, I'd suggest just not going at all. Failing out of something you never enjoyed in the least and having to pay it all off working minimum wage isn't a fun time. Make cheaper mistakes than college.

If you make it through doing something you love, you'll well likely end up with a degree in something you love, and no job. You're forced to get a Masters to even be considered. Insane debt.

Or you get a degree in a boring-ass job you hate and are stuck working it until you pay off your debt. Then you'll feel stuck in that shitty lifestyle, just because you've been railroaded there like the rest of your life.

No one else can determine the path in life you take. If you cede control of your life to others, you're still responsible for the outcome. And it's unlikely things are just going to magically work out. Because you and millions of other people are passively hoping for the same thing.

Determine your own passion, your own purpose, your own gifts. That's something money can't buy. In fact, the more money gets involved, the easier it is to abandon and forget those aspects of yourself entirely.

In bref, there's no shortcut around existential suffering. Take it on the chin, or it'll follow you the rest of your life.

Also, invest in everything between you and the ground. Shoes and mattresses and whatnot. Gravity doesn't get any weaker over the years.
>>
>>16643185
I'm 29, So, I guess I'm a oldfag but here is some advice:

Develop a hobby, be it surfing, a sport. Just develop something.

Exercise/eat healthy- the confidence built from having a good body is worth the trouble.

Date girls for their personality. Nothing will destroy you sooner, then going out with a bad women.

Realize you will fall in love with women quickly, and often. Develop measures to control those emotions, and think about relationships with a rational mind.

Learn business and finance, but more importantly develop a network. Go out a meet people. You never know the connections you will make.

Start a business. It doesn't need to be big, but the experience will pay off. My buddy starting a business from his love for making youtube videos. Through his professor, he got his first client whole foods, and now he develops online commercials for some pretty big companies. Needless to say, he is a millionaire now. Look at what you and your friends like to do, and develop a way to make money off of it.

If you are dead set about getting into a industry(movies, medical, lawyer, accounting, etc) make connections and offer to work for free in the beginning. The goal when you are young is experience.

know how to lick pussy, and be a good lover to your women. She'll come back for more, if you are unselfish in bed. A good book, she comes first.

read, read, read

If you are stuck in a conversation remember the FORD method
F-family
o-occupation
r-recreation
d-dreams
It's a good fall back when you have nothing to talk about

try to push conversation forward through statements, not questions. Questions are ok, but statements fill more natural.

Travel, builds character, and gives you a different perspective on live.

be good to your mother, and family. Even if they don't deserve. How you treat your mother says alot about you.

That's it for now, but I mind have some more later.
>>
>>16644823
Some better general life advice:
Everyone has something to teach you if you're listening. Yes, everyone. Even the people you hate -- I'd even say especially them.

Talk to strangers. Everyone's lived their entire lives. If you give them a chance to talk about theirs, I guarantee you there's something you can learn from.

Books and wikipedia are important, but sometimes the greatest wisdom comes directly from other human beings. Treat them with the respect they deserve.
>>
Therapy helps. If you're a sad little bitch all the time and have trouble not spilling your spaghetti 24/7, therapy is a good first step to take in getting your ass out of that rut.
>>
>>16644892
Wut?
>>
File: 4forum.png (19 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
4forum.png
19 KB, 320x480
No sex in the dark. Motherfuckers.
There are allot of fucking skanks and (dudes) out there with HPV, Herpes, and or just dont wash their pussy correctly or keep ph balanced.... so wear rubbers too.
If she insists on light out... get out. Something is up... inspect the deck.

Till you find one chick to be with that isnt a skank... which is around in your late 30's after years of banging bitches of all shapes, sizes, and races. Fuck everything that moves - quantity over quality...later when its time to settle down... quality control.. by then you will know all the stupid games bitches play, and hopefully your dick wont be all banged up... you can only place dice with your nutz for so long till you crap out.
>>
>>16643185
Networking is the most important part of college. Join a fraternity if you think it will help. It's not what you know it's who you know.

So learn some people skills and make professional relationships. You can be incompetent and still get promoted if you have people skills. So network.
>>
Do one illegal thing at a time.
>>
Don't waste your time with other people. Most of them won't contribute a single positive thing to your life and are just there because they're there. Focus on your career, always be busy with work. Don't care about anyone, but yourself, you're the single most important thing in your life.
>>
>>16644646

I'm 27 now. I can honestly say that I began thinking about what life at 27 would be like when I was 17.

It's neat reading the comments here. I was fortunate to apply many of the same things the various anons are saying now back in 2006 when I graduated high school.

I would not have made it through college without following this advicethat was given to me at 17: "the next ten years pretty much decide the rest of your life."
>>
How do i get rid of the dark circles underneath my eyes? i get plenty of sleep and have a pretty healthy lifestyle, what causes these? are there creams or shit like that that have helped any of you?
>>
>>16645508
Let me guess you put sex above all else
>>
>>16643185
The human body has minimum maintenance attached to it that you need to do, otherwise you could suffer from problems.

These things are considered to be the bare minimum for your human body maintenance:

>Half an hour walk a day

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/509287/Magic-Pill-effect-walking-30-minutes-a-day

>proper diet
http://www.cbsnews.com/media/mind-diet-foods-avoid-alzheimers-boost-brain-health/
>if you dont have a variation of this diet, you will start building up Alzheimer in your brain at age 25

>some form of weight exercises for men as pic related happened
having a good amount of testosterone is important for healthy male functioning

Not even going to speak about drugs, and smoking. But if you want to have a long life, you should probably do the above things. If humans came with a manual, this is what would be inside of it.
>>
>>16646515
whoops, this.
>>
If you aren't happy, leave. If your gf/bf is a bitch/jerk, dump them. You're young, you don't need to chain yourself to your first bf/gf and obsess about marriage.

If you like it, do it. Shut the fuck up and do it. Ignore people who say you can't or shouldn't. They're crab mentality.

Take any job you can get. Start applying to everything now. If you build up money when you don't have bills, you'll be a lot happier.

Go away to school. Sure, living at home is cheaper, but what's the value of your happiness? The point of money is to live a prosperous and happy life, not to hoard it.

At the same time, don't be retarded with money. Don't rent a 1000 dollar apartment when a 500 dollar room is just as good. Don't buy a new car when an old one can do you. Don't get into too much debt, learn thrift. But thrift in moderation, not to the point where you're living in your parent's basement eating ramen every day in misery because it's cheaper.

Don't buy a bunch of shit you don't need. Possessions weigh you down.

Learn things, you stupid fuck, and start lifting.

>>16643581
>meditation

What are actual benefits of this? Does yoga count as meditation?

>>16644646

>that picture

It physically hurts. I wish I could beat the shit out of my younger self.
>>
Don't get caught
Don't give in
Trust your instincts
>>
>>16643185
1. Find a job while going through college/university, hopefully something related to what you want to become/study.
2. Socializing is important, not got to parties and get trashed kind of socialization, but rather professional contacts. Try to form links to people that could help you find a job in the future.
3. Bitches ain't worth the time and drama.
4. always wear protection
>>
>>16644656

Probably personal finance. 401k isn't all there is to it. It's the difference between spending 20k or spending 40k to get to the same point. How to save money, live in a budget, invest, cut out excessive spending that isn't enjoyed, etc.

parties get old fast.

>>16646515

Women should lift, too.
>>
>>16646545
Women dont need testosterone as much as men to function well.
>>
>>16646555

Lifting isn't about muh test. It's about strength and being a sick motherfucker. If women don't lift, they're a saggy skinnyfat. If men don't lift they're a skelly or a fatty.
>>
>>16643185
Don't skip to many courses thinking you can catch up at home. But don't go to all your classes either. Learn to prioritize!
>>
>>16646579
I am talking about basic functioning, women dont need that to function basically. This is general advice, not special snowflake /fit/ advice you mongoloid. Go waste someone else's time you useless cunt.
>>
>>16646591

>Don't go to all your classes

Unless you have a good reason to skip them, this is bad advice.
>>
>>16643519
Agree.
>>
>>16643185
Don't listen to your parents for career advice
>>
>>16643185
If you're going to college

GET FUCKING INTERNSHIPS

Volunteer, make connections, get practical experience in your field. Grades are good but experience is better. You may even find you hate the field and switch
>>
>>16646601

>basic functioning

Bread, water, sleep on the dirt like an animal.
>>
>>16646601
are you fucking high? no one needs to lift to function. Everyone one should exercise. Women, or anyone should lift, because it keeps muscle in your old age, and muscles make sure you don't a shell of what you formerly were
>>
>>16646620
I will say this. Often times people stress experience over education, like they are two separate things. I personally think, why not get both.
>>
>>16646656
Lifting helps to increase testosterone, which has declined in men. So to offset that, for basic male physiology, a man needs to lift to achieve some basic function.

Seriously, stop replying to me, I am not going to explain these things again to a bunch of low IQ mongoloids such as you.
>>
Do well in school. It's not only about marks but disciplining and challenging yourself.

Try to avoid renting. Live with your parents rent free and save as much as you can to purchase rather than rent.

If you're a male, you have to do everything when it comes to dating. Things don't "just happen" to you unless you make them happen.
>>
>>16646667
Not that guy, but to others reading this.

Lifting can confer more testosterone, but eating healthier and avoiding adding extra estrogen creating substances to your body (BPA, soy isolate/concentrate) will also give you what should be a natural man's testosterone level. Industry and modern society has made men's testosterone, and as a result, men somewhat reduced.
>>
>>16646677
>If you're a male, you have to do everything when it comes to dating. Things don't "just happen" to you unless you make them happen.

While daunting, this is a good thing once you see it. You can better choose your company and the women in your life. Most are somewhat subservient and want a man to lead them, so you can have the kind of woman and life you want by being assertive. going for what you want gets you the people who fit your life.

and if the women seem fickle; maybe this thing I heard will help:

>Women want to be led where they want to go

People have an idea what they want, but women don't make the push to get there. Therefore they have a sort of duality where they want seem to know what they want but don't expressly go for it, if that makes sense. Hopefully that helps you make sense of their nature.
>>
>>16646667
women do have testosterone by the way, and it works the same way in them as it does in men. They just don't have as much.

You suffer from the problem of reading some study that found a correlation, and then you just awesome it is hands down truth.
>>
>>16646679
>>16646679
ugh, kill yourself, nobody is going to read a tl;dr of 100 pages on how to live normally as a man. The mind diet, and lifting as described above is enough.

Seriously, go back to /fit/ and go be insecure with your other homo friends. 18 year olds dont care about old man ramblings. You are even lucky if they barely follow the things described above.

Seriously though, kill yourself.
>>
>>16646695
why dont you find the nearest shotgun, put it in your mouth and pull the trigger. God, pearls to pigs on this board.
>>
>>16646698
that's literally what I said you stupid cunt

die in a fire you fuckwit
>>
>>16646707
hahaha, you mad bro?

proof me wrong. Look up a study, and proof me wrong. I mean, there is a reason a women can go through hormone therapy, and become a man.
>>
>>16646710
You didnt say anything new you low IQ waste of human life. Stop fucking replying to people who actually write down this stuff, you should kill yourself.

Not sure why all the newfags and horrible first posters dare to even post these days, in the old days people just lurked more after being handed their asses to them.
>>
>>16646718
to be honest, Just take a college course in nutrition. That what misspell most of the crap you believe. You suffer from misinformation, like most people who lift.
>>
>>16646718
Yes I did, diet.

Your fucktarded ass never paid one iota of attention to it. Which is arguably more important to maintaining health than lifting.

You're the one that needs to lurk more, your posts are the shittiest.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>16646729
>>16646732
>>
>>16646738
I don't get your motive.

Do you like the self-righteous feeling you get by being a twat?
>>
>>16646667

Not sure if being trolled.
>>
>>16646780
Who knows?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.