[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, at what point should a person get help? A relationship I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1443831113261.png (562 KB, 683x642) Image search: [Google]
1443831113261.png
562 KB, 683x642
So, at what point should a person get help? A relationship I had recently ended unexpectedly and although I've had many before and been just fine, I seem to be really struggling at the moment. I've been crying every day for a month and have constant panic attacks. Friends think I'm being melodramatic but I'm really struggling day to day here. Should I wait it out and harden up or do I seek help?

It seems kinda stupid to get psychological help just because of a break up but I'm not coping. I no longer enjoy anything and I feel sick in my stomach all day.
>>
Seems like you really loved this person..how long where you with them?
And in all honesty all of is go though hard breakups, it's a matter of loving yourself before you love anyone else.
>>
The right moment is when you think it would help you. Imo, therapy is something almost everybody could benefit from. It doesn't hurt to get some professional to take a look at your life. I know that therapy was the single best thing i ever did for myselfe. Just one year in and i am off my ssri's, oanded my dream job, am MADLY in love with the most awesome guy ever and i got si much energy that i'm actually making over my whole appartment atm. Do it anon! Your future self will be so gratefull!
>>
>>16642632
>It seems kinda stupid to get psychological help just because of a break up but I'm not coping.
If you're not coping, then it's time. Some people would argue that helping people cope is what psychology is all about. There is nothing stupid about this.

More generally, if you've got issues that you think have started to screw up your life, it's time to seek help for them.
>>
>>16642639

I knew them for a while but we didn't date for ages. The relationship was only two months. I dunno this is definitely the most difficult break up I've ever been through.

>>16642642
Sounds good to me. I spoke to a councillor on the phone but I could say anything because I was so upset. It'd be better to talk to someone in person.
>>
>>16642651
Yeah I feel like this is an issue that goes beyond the relationship ending. Maybe some issues I've ignored until now and are no longer in control.
>>
>>16642656
Be prepared to feel rrally shitty after the first session. They will ask a lot of questions about your family, work and so on. This is important to get a good overview of your situation. They might touch subjects that upset you A LOT! And you will tfeel very weird about tht because you never saw a problem with said subject. You will also feel like they haven't adressed your current situation enough. Be patient! It takes time, but it's so worth it. Go there with the intention to be very open. Try to give elaborated and hones answers to every question.
>>
>>16642656
I contacted a conselour today as well. It was very draining to write an e-mail explaining I needed help, but oh man did I feel better after the first e-mail.

Did you feel comfortable talking to the counselor over the phone? If you need them to switch how you can contact them (example being e-mail/one on one) tell them. In tough situations phone calls just add on. They should understand your situation if you feel you can't do calls at the moment. If not, change. You can always find the therapist that will work with you through everything.

Don't feel you're alone. I have multiple problems going on, but my main one is dealing with a failing relationship. You got this. If you want someone to say "hey me too" I'm willing to offer up my contact.
>>
Do you have a steam name? Exact same thing happened to me around a month ago too, add me and we can talk about it.
>>
>>16642632
>It seems kinda stupid to get psychological help just because of a break up but I'm not coping. I no longer enjoy anything and I feel sick in my stomach all day.
Getting help for psychological issues is kinda like getting your car fixed - you don't have it all stripped and rebuilt bolt by bolt just because the horn won't honk, right? You could probably just have a few short sessions, a bit of coaching just to help you get through this rough patch, without spending the next ten years laying on the couch with a stranger listening to you explain how you once dreamed you were an elephant (or whatever it is therapists do - I honestly have no idea).
>>
I'm in the same situation right now and I think I'm going to seek out help when I feel I won't be able to trust again or open up. I don't really have anyone to talk to and I have to pretend to be okay all day so it might be good to talk to someone.
>>
>>16642717
No steam sorry :(
>>16642680
Oh boy..guess I better brace myself then. I got a whole lot of shit to talk about haha
>>
>>16642688

Thanks anon. My doctor is apparently going to organise face to face sessions, so it should be okay...I hope.
>>
>>16642771

It's exhausting. You shouldn't have to sit there and suffer all day.
>>
>>16642780
Yeah. How long has it been for you? It was constant pain and heartache and that feeling of being sick to your stomach for the first week for me. I couldn't sleep or eat. Now it's a dull pain but I still cry sometimes. I really to try tell myself I'll be okay and it's better but it's really hard.
>>
>>16642819

It's been a month for me. Haven't really improved yet...
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.