[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't smart people go for "easy" jobs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: Easy 1.jpg (24 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Easy 1.jpg
24 KB, 400x300
There are smart people in the UK, Europe, etc who get top grades in their finals and yet decide to pursue Music, Math, etc instead of Medicine, Law, etc for their undergraduate degrees.

Yes, I understand that being a doctor or lawyer is stressful, but why don't these smart people go for "easy" jobs instead? Being a physiotherapist, nutritionist or actuary is not that stressful. Working for the government is nice as it's difficult to be fired from your job. This is certainly the case compared to something such as a researcher where no results = no funding = no income.

Really, all jobs are boring in their own ways. Even if they are interesting at the start, they become dull over time. Why not just pick something which leads to a stable income and learn to love that job?
>>
>Really, all jobs are boring in their own ways. Even if they are interesting at the start, they become dull over time.

That's just like, your opinion man. It's called passion and clearly you have none. Don't bother trying to understand.
>>
>>16641857
Really all jobs are stressful and the passion they feel now will be sapped from them over time.
>>
>>16641864

Yeah nah, talking to my professors discussing research and I can tell they have plenty of passion.

Sure work can be stressful, but it can be just as rewarding. The only reason you don't believe that people could sustain passion is because /you/ can't. It's really closed minded.
>>
I suppose I should thank you for the short break you gave us, but why do you keep on posting this repeatedly? Do you think the answer is going to change?

Smart people don't go for "easy" jobs because they don't feel that those jobs are stimulating enough or "important" enough.
>>
>>16641875
Research is shit. What are your chances of finding a tenured post? Close to zero?
>>
It's about pusuing your interests
>>
>>16641909

Sounds like a personal problem.
>>
>>16641854
This thread again. Ayyyy lmao
>>
>>16641958
No, read here:
http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2012/jul/11/careers-options-for-academics
>>
>>16641899
Yeah, and what are their chances of making a breakthrough discovery? Close to zero?
>>16641948
Most people hate their jobs over time. They might as well find a job which pays more.
>>16641968
So?
>>
>>16642052
Do you seriously expect anything different to happen this time compared to the previous 50 times? You will once again be called a retard, and a kid who had no clue about the adult world. You will be given some good points by actual adults. Then you will ignore it all because it doesn't agree with your viewpoint. You are simply not as smart as you think.

What would it take for you to stop creating these threads?
>>
>>16642146
What if you guys are all trolling me?
Geez, my parents told me that it is ideal to br a government employee as it is difficult for the government to fire you. Other "easy" jobs such as being an actuary are also ideal. My parents are adults. What they said are true!
>>
>>16642168
>actuary
>easy

You have never even had a real job. Don't think you are qualified in any way to speak of careers.
>>
>>16642175
Being a nutritionist, pharmacist, dentist, etc are "easier" than being a researcher.
>>
>>16642179
I have no idea what you are talking about. Neither do you.
>>
>>16642196
Then prove that you are right.
>>
>>16642198
Right about what? Look, kid. Life is not about "waaah I'm right! See these people agree with me!" You are seriously behaving like a 15 year old.
>>
>>16642052
Most people don't hate their jobs. You learn to deal with the bullshit or you find a new line.
Just pick a career. If you don't like it, you can always change it. If you do nothing, the consequences are so much worse and you won't feel them until it's almost too late.
>>
>>16642226
If some people agree with me, it proves that I am right, right?
>>16642262
So why can't these people learn to love a stable job which pays well (eg. lawyer, government employee, accountant)?
>>
What kind of depressing world do you live in where people hate their jobs (outside retail)?
I work in medicine, and most of my family and friends are in medicine, research or engineering. Everybody freaking loves their jobs and will talk about nothing else given the chance. And that applies to all ages. Yeah, people will complain about specific things like budget cuts or a boss they don't like, but I've never met anyone that regretted going into their field of work.
>>
>>16642339
this is bait
>>
There's something called 'desire' and 'interest'.
But anyway, go ask these 'smart' people why and you'll get your answer. Why get fake validation here?
>>
>>16642315
They can? There are lots of happy lawyers, doctors, politicians, soldiers. Some people love stress. There are also lots of happy accountants, prostitutes, and drug lords.
There's no happy utopia. You'll always have to deal with a little bit of shit, even in your ideal job.
>>
>>16642343
I am not that close to any of these people.
>>16642346
Exactly, so why the fuck would anyone decide not to become a lawyer, actuary, etc? Like I've said, these people who pursue their interests are just being picky and they can learn to love their jobs.
>>
>>16641854
Wish I had enough grades in order to study physioteraphy
>>
>>16642354
maybe precisely why you need to ask THEM and get to know them and WHY they do that.
>>
>>16642354
Tell us one thing, kid. What do you want to be when you grow up?
>>
>>16642357
See? This is normal.
>>16642362
I don't really know these people?
>>
>>16642367
Go call one up. "I'm doing a school project and was wondering why you became a lawyer. What is it about this job that interested you?"
>>16642354
A job you don't have to learn to love means dealing with less shit. Some people don't deal with stress all that well. It starts to affect them.
We're starting to get into a circular pattern here.
>>
>>16642367
then why bother? you want to give these 'smart' people advice. if you don't then there's no point.
>>
>>16642377
>Go call one up. "I'm doing a school project and was wondering why you became a lawyer. What is it about this job that interested you?"
And your point is?
>We're starting to get into a circular pattern here.
...what?
>>16642382
I am not giving these people advice. I just don't get why anyone will do this.
>>
>>16642386
you sound like my aunt telling me to have a teaching job because it's stable. I don't fucking want to teach. Got a problem? Deal with it yourself. Make your life how you want it to be and stop advicing people around on what you think they ought to be doing with their lives.
>>
>>16642398
People can just learn to love their jobs though as stated here. This bullshit of pursuing your passion makes no sense
>>16642346
>>
>>16642386
My point us to go call one and find out why they became a lawyer. They're in the phone book, go find one.
Your argument starts out well with 'why do people choose to go into high stress jobs' but then sort of devolves into a combination of angsty whining and 'but jobs are shitty and everyone hates work' which is bullshit.
>>
>>16642408
Some people actually like being lawyers.

Suprise!

The higher you go, the more compromises people had to make to get there.
>>
>>16642409
>>16642424
Of course some people like being a lawyer, doctor or whatsoever. I am talking about high school kids who aspire to do research whatsoever. Why can't these kids just pick Law instead? Their lives will be much easier as a lawyer at some government office.
>>
>>16641854
>Why not just pick something which leads to a stable income and learn to love that job?

PhD student in chem here, this route leads to burger flipping unless you have a specific plan (connections, good school, etc), and I went into it because I "loved" it and didn't care if I wouldn't be swimming in cash, but then I met my wife. We want a child, and recently I've been thinking this career path was a horrible idea.
>>
>>16642444
>recently I've been thinking this career path was a horrible idea
See? You will regret it.
>>
>>16642440
People love the flame of struggle. They like new things instead of the boring ol' shit they see others drudging in. They enjoy thinking new, creating new, inventing.
If everyone became lawyers, how will you ever know anything else that can be done by lawyers? Research may be inconceivable to you, but those who do it do it for the fun of finding something new and making new theoretical/practical connections. They don't want money or the ease of becoming a 'common' person.
>>
>>16642440
Some people also like being researchers. Either way you go, you have to be proactive in your field and network the shit out of it to be great.
Welfare makes for the easiest lives but many people want more.
>>
>>16642455
Kek see
>>16642444
>>
>>16642459
You're showing me ONE example. LMFAO.
I work with 75 year olds who threw away 'stable' jobs in order to write books full of research. I still see that flame in their eyes!
>>
>>16642482
A lot of people end up like that guy
>>
>>16642483
Chance you take I guess. Better than waking up one morning and realizing you've lost all your potential getting to like a job you'll never really like.
>>
>>16642483
A lot of people end up in various ways due to various life circumstances. At least that guy knows he tried and gave it a shot. You never know until you do right? A lot of people never try and take up 'stability' and whine about how depressing it is.
So let them smart ones do what they want. How does it matter to you? If anything, become a career counsellor. That'll maybe help you deal with this.
>>
>>16642492
>>16642494
The chance of fibding a tenured post is close to zero these days. It is not worth the risk.
>>
>>16642509
That's your assessment in the country and area you live in. Case to case differs. So do what you want to do. Or do what you think is 'right'.
>>
>>16642513
>in the country and area you live in
This is the case worldwide
>>
>>16642516
too much generalising for one career path that I don't even know you're talking about.
>>
>>16642530
It's true. Google it up.
>>
>>16642534
google what up?
and you think I care?
you do your research for what you want. my life is set with LOTS of opportunities, thanks.
>>
>>16642168
>My parents are adults. What they said are true!
From a certain point of view, yes. Your parents probably did not tell you this out of malice. And it IS true, for someone who has a day job and uses it to fund his pursuit of his passion as a hobby. That's a very healthy way to go, when it can be managed. Certainly it has better outcomes, in aggregate, than people who follow their passions into high-risk fields.

But while most passions can be pursued perfectly well as a hobby, not all of them can: medicine and law come immediately to mind, and there are others. And even when they CAN be pursued as a hobby, frankly, it is good for society that some people dream big. Not TOO many, because most of the big dreamers fail, and society can't afford to pick up the pieces too many times. But up and to a certain point, enough of the big dreamers hit enough big successes that it is worth covering the rest.
>>
>>16641854
THIS. GUY.

Fuck off already, how many more times do you want to post this shit?
>>
File: 400[1].png (297 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
400[1].png
297 KB, 500x498
>>16642444
>>
>>16642634
Thanks, I like knowing that my ass is covered.
>>
>>16641854
this OP seems incredibly, hilariously...

Yuropean?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.