[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I gain practice and experience socializing as an adult?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 10.jpg (12 KB, 360x307) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
12 KB, 360x307
How can I gain practice and experience socializing as an adult? Short background, I'm 23 and a kissless, dateless, handhold-less (etc) virgin. I've made 0 new friends since high school, and even those in high school were mostly made due to circumstance; I haven't been in contact with them at all for the past five years. Is there some sort of club for clueless adults I can attend?
>>
Go drink a beer in bar
>>
>>16640120

thanks for the tip. But I feel like that's not a sustainable long term strategy.
>>
>>16640260
you're wrong.
>>
>>16640103
It's too late. 20 wad the cut off for making friends.
>>
File: 1451852210336.jpg (5 KB, 199x250) Image search: [Google]
1451852210336.jpg
5 KB, 199x250
>>16640260
It isn't what you do to facilitate long term friendships/relationships, but it is what you do to get some practice under your belt.

I'm ostensibly introverted, when I drink my communicative ability increases and relaxes my punctilious nature. I met my current girlfriend while playing pool at a bar. As much as I enjoy drinking home alone more than going out, it forces a certain amount of social experience. I worry about every facial tic, split infinitive, misplaced hair, or potentially misfitting shirt while sober.

I guess I'm too drunk currently to make something sound poignant. I should by all means die alone, but relaxing certain predilections at a bar is an easy way to acquiesce to social norms while not compromising your own held beliefs entirely.

Take that at face value since I'll be breaking up with my girlfriend (who I met under the aforementioned conditions) because I loath myself too much to be in a relationship.
>>
>>16640278
This guy must get a hard on from offering useless advice. I think I've seen maybe 5 'worth reading' posts from him in my time on /adv/.

He's also the person who expresses a certain resentment (intentional or otherwise) towards higher education. Take his advice with a metric ton of salt.
>>
>>16640278
Even though this fuck is being a dick, it is really difficult to make friends after 23+, especially when you lack hobbies that don't include vidya and telly. Like even if you wanted to join a group of (well-adjusted) geeks, you're shit out of like since they've already formed their social circles.
>>
>>16640289
> I worry about every facial tic, split infinitive, misplaced hair, or potentially misfitting shirt while sober.

I'm not worried about driving people away due to annoying habits. I'm more worried about any superficially positive interaction simply fading away due to mutual boredom.
>>
>>16640330
>worried about any superficially positive interaction simply fading away due to mutual boredom.
I regularly get texts from people that I've met at bars. My interaction with them was limited to me drinking in the same place, potentially going to their place afterwards, but nothing beyond mediocre conversation.

Most interactions you have will fade into obscurity, that's the way it goes. With a certain amount of experience and grappling inside these conversations, you'll understand which to pursue and which to let drift to antiquity.

You don't worry when they do because it's a normal phenomena and helps you realize when you've landed on of value.

I'm also drunk now (alone at home) so take this with a certain amount of projection and insecurity.
>>
>>16640330
>I'm more worried about any superficially positive interaction simply fading away due to mutual boredom

That's like most of my conversations, I've never have much to talk about even when it comes to day-to-day things (cos I rarely leave the house aside from work and buying milk). I've seen many people launch actual conversations from little things like the weather but I usually just sumerise everything into a couple of sentences.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.