[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a stable career path that can support a family on a single
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
I need a stable career path that can support a family on a single income.

Are there any?
>>
>>16638505

union longshoreman
>>
File: 1450788568426.jpg (136 KB, 960x876) Image search: [Google]
1450788568426.jpg
136 KB, 960x876
>>16638505
Sorry, there is, but you may not like it.

Military. No matter where you are in the world, they will help your family in exchange for your service. If you're American, the U.S. Army does its best to put family first.
>>
Engineer
>>
>>16638535
this anon. if there's a crisis anytime, the military will still provide jobs and salary. they pay very good, you have awesome conditions. it's always a good thing you can add to your resumes. and besides that, uniforms make most girls go crazy - really. military especially. it screams discipline, respect, order, strenght and manlines.
>>
>>16638535
>>16638564

Veteran here. This isn't as great an idea as you think it is. Generally having military on your resume only helps if you intend to work in a government job afterward. Aside from that most employers really don't care. The pay starting out is not great. I had many soldiers who struggled to pay bills.

It's not a terrible gig, but to be comfortable takes 6-10 years. Plus there's the living near other service members, general seedy base towns, etc etc.

>>16638505

Income is important, but life style is even more important. I make $40k from my civilian job as a paramedic, and about $5k from being in the National Guard. We're debt free, my wife shops at the discount groceries (Aldi, etc). We always have free phones, no cable. We live comfortably but not lavishly.
>>
File: 1426232075426.jpg (772 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
1426232075426.jpg
772 KB, 1920x1040
>>16638505
>>
>>16638576
but government jobs are pretty good too. i know a few people who started out like that. they make good money now. my brother just started military too. i think it's a good way. everything has a downside if you look for it.
>>
>>16638505
>family
>single income
Why?
>>
>>16638604

I didn't look for the downsides. They found me and the vast majority of the people I knew in the Army. It's a fact of a life, and if someone is even considering the military they need to understand them.

Government jobs are far from certain in the best of times. With the ways things have been going, I wouldn't want to count on finding one in a few years.
>>
Welding is the highest paying trade but even then you would have a hard time supporting a wife and kids. Those days belong in the 20th century OP. Your wife will need to work unless you get some Mad Men office job that pays 100k+
>>
>>16638624
It's definitely not heavenly, but it's better than most other options the average man has.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.