[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I break it to parents/grandparents I'm quitting Premed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: g1330904661398931285.jpg (44 KB, 550x334) Image search: [Google]
g1330904661398931285.jpg
44 KB, 550x334
(Happy 2016 btw)

I'm in my 2nd year of my undergrad and after my 3rd semester I pretty much can't do premed anymore. I got all Cs in my science classes and a D+ in Organic Chem, pretty much screwing myself over gradewise for medical school (I needed some As and Bs this semester to hit a 3.0 average, and well that's now just a dream). If I continue down my Bio specific major I'm pretty much gonna dig a deeper whole for myself. I'm probably gonna switch to a major I care (more) about, specifically either Computer Science or Computer Engineering. Problem is, both my parents/grandparents want me to go into medicine. They're old fashioned so it'll definitely be weird for them. I'm not really scared to do it either because as long as I'm in college doing stuff they'll be generally happy, but they always wanted me to do medicine so there's that hoop to cross. Any suggestions?
>>
Tell them you're not doing well in or enjoying your coursework, and that your advisor or professors suggested you switch majors so that you can graduate/get a job.
>>
>>16630323
>Mom and dad, after 2 years of trying out this whole premed thing, I've decided it's not for me. I'm not interested in the coursework and I've discovered that I like computers a lot more. I'm going to switch my major to CS or Engineering.
>Are you sure about that, son? You know how much your grandparents were looking forward to seeing you succeed as a doctor.
>I know, but I did give it a try for two years and it's not making me happy. I believe this change will allow me to be happy in my future career.
>Okay, we just want you to be happy.
>>
As much detail as you can give about the plans and opportunities which you see in a future with CS/CE. The less time they spend focused on medicine, the better the conversation will go.
>>
>>16630323
Then do you want to study medicine?
>>
Damm dude it's not that dificult, just go to read your's books
>>
File: 0719151607.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0719151607.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>16630323
tell them you want to be a truck driver
after that sinks in tell them that was a joke but you are not happy and want to find what will make you happy
>>
>>16630323
Ask yourself if what you're doing is what will make you happy or your family happy. They don't have to live your life, you do. You should do what feels right for you, and not let someone else (even family) choose how you live your life.

Keep in mind that switching majors will probably set you back some; it may take longer to graduate and/or require more money (if you're in America). If you're able to handle that I don't see why it should be a problem, but if your parents are paying for it they probably won't be too happy about it, if that's the case.

Lots of people study medicine only to find out after getting a job in a hospital that they hate it. It's better to change now while it's still relatively early rather than after you've gone down that rabbit hole. Honestly it may be possible to go to medical school somewhere if you get a good score on the MCAT. It may not be the best one but you don't necessarily have to give up now, in case you change your mind again.
>>
>>16630323
Dear faggot OP. Go apply to a trade skill program if you can't hack higher than a C in BASIC FUCKING SHIT TIER SCIENCE COURSES, then you don't have the discipline to do Como sci or engineering.
>>
>>16630749
are you implying trade schools don't require discipline?
>>
>>16630755
Compared to comp sci, engineering, or premed? Not nearly as much. Seeing as OP is a waffling faggot with no sense of direction, trade school would be fixed and pointedly focused on an end goal and employable skill. The real problem here is that OP is a lazy faggot
>>
>>16630553

Don't truckers make decent pay though? Surely it's not nearly half as bad as other professions.
>>
>>16630323
I got A and A- for ochem, A- for p chem, and A for inorganic.
You fucking suck bro lmao

Also, premeds on average are fucking stupid and most of the time do it because they're in a situation like yours where the parent wants them to be doctors

Kol
>>
"Kijk eens wat ik in mijn kamer vond."
>>
I more or less agree with >>16630796

If you're going into Comp Sci, you'll need to understand why you're there in the first place and actually study. Otherwise your best option is to learn a specific trade or get a job and earn money, because a bachelors degree with mediocre grades, in a field you only sort of care about is pointless when it comes to applying for jobs.

If it's your 2nd year I assume you're around 20 years old? It's fine if you don't know what you want to do, yet. The worst thing right now is succumbing to pressure and studying something you have no interest in or going into something else entirely, just for the sake of studying something.
>>
tell them you have no chance of getting into med school because your grades already tanked beyond the point of return.

but do note that CS is rapidly becoming a meme degree due to the fact that literally everybody wants to study it. you'll still have to work hard to get hired.
>>
>>16630848
not really, you're considered pretty much disposable by your trucking company and the money isn't good enough to justify the difficult lifestyle
>>
>>16631655
>>16630848
if you can live the life, sure. but it'll be all automated in 50 years so prepare for that.
>>
Caustic posting anon bashing OP here. After some consideration, I have legit advice for you.

Self study and take the test for comptia a+, network, server +, and security +. You can download all the source study materials. Tests will run you 150-250 each. You wanna do comp sci or something computer related, you go get those fucking certifications anf start working.

That's the holy foundation for anone who is going to do fuck all in the data/tech/DBA/cybersecurity sector.

If you can pass those, you have proven you're not a limp wristed faggot wasting your folks money.
>>
You don't have a choice OP. You can't continue premed with those grades. I'd suggest taking a break and working at a shitty retail job to wake yourself up.

If you decide to continue college at some point, get your grades up. Doesn't matter what you take, but graduating with anything less than a 3.0 is shameful.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.