[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is working in Fast Food really as bad as everyone says it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3
File: 0013 - clDaMk2.png (32 KB, 655x650) Image search: [Google]
0013 - clDaMk2.png
32 KB, 655x650
So is working in Fast Food really as bad as everyone says it is? I'm looking for my first job and the local Dairy Queen is my only choice.
>>
Yes, it is. But you can't really be picky about your first job. they call it "|entry level" for a reason.
>>
>>16629759
Ye its shit. Be a doctor instead
>>
>>16629759
If you need a job, go for it. It is bottom of the barrel and people will feel superior to you and try to take advantage, but it will get you a paycheck
>>
>>16629759
If it's your only option, then that's pretty self explanatory. You need money. As soon as you can find something better you should jump ship.
>>
it depends on your coworkers. My friend works in a sandwich shop and food service does suck but he has a good time because of awesome boss/coworkers.
>>
>>16629759
It will probably not be very pleasant. The wage will probably be minimum wage and the working hours will be long. Your manager may have an unpleasant personality.
>>
>>16629820
>implying anyone can be a doctor
>>
In my one month experience, the work honestly wasn't that bad. Also the customers and coworkers were pretty cool, except for a few stereotypical "ignorant" black people.

My problem was my manager, good lord my manager. She would criticize me in front of customers and give short vague responses when asked how I could improve.

It shouldn't be too bad with good coworkers and supervisors.
>>
>>16629759

go in and do it, just dont think of it as important. when someone has a problem, just shake it off. really it doesnt need to stress you. literally no reason. stressing about anything that happens there makes no sense cuz in five minutes that problem will be gone from your life forever.

the big problem with entry level jobs is that people act like they have to be everyones bitch becaubse of it. smile, make as many jokes as you can, and try to talk. thats what keeps you feeling normal.
>>
I've worked at five guys and popeyes, currently working at culvers.
kitchen work better than being out front dealing customers. Fast food jobs really depend on the people you're working with. I only worked at 5 guys for 4 days I was an idiot and gave some Indian guy money and didn't get his money in exchange. I got sent to wipe windows and clean up peanut shells. I quit the next day and the owners to this day think I stole the money and in all honesty I wish I did. Popeye's was a shitfest full of ghetto black people and a trailer trash manager that wanted my dick something fierce I just stopped going there it was a mess of a place. Culver's on the other hand is boss as fuck it's outside of the city limits so most of the people working there are white high school kids from the county same with the customers and everyone is super nice. It just really depends but if you want a job grab it. I was out of work for almost a year after I got fired from Popeye's. I don't where you live OP but it can get rough out there.
>>
>>16629899
>culvers
Wisconsin, Illinois or Minnesota?
>>
>>16629759

Fast food was the worst job I ever had, and this is compared to amusement parks, construction, factory work, etc. I would not recommend it to anyone, ever. But as everyone else said, gotta do what you gotta do.
>>
>>16629856
Sarcasm is for smart people only.
>>
as far as entry level jobs go see if you can get a job as a security guard instead. Its not that great, but its a hell of a lot better than fast food.

If you are intent on working in fast food though I'd recommend trying to get a job as a dishwasher in a normal restaurant rather than fast food. If you show some interest when there's a lull in dishes the cook will show you a few things and eventually they'll move you over to prep work like chopping salads and that sort of thing, over time they'll show you more and more until you know enough to be a cook yourself. If you know how to be a line cook you will literally never have a problem finding a job no matter where in the country you go, restaurants are always looking for cooks.
>>
>>16629908
Illinois
>>
>>16629759
Also - it's part time.
>>
>>16629858
>>16629868
The only thing I'm scared of is the math. I suck at math, and I'm scared of doing the change part. Like the register asks for $10.93 and someone gives me a $5.34, I have to use a calculator to get $5.59. I just suck at numbers in my head.
>>
>>16630105

dont worry about it. everyone sucks at numebrs in their head and everyone just uses the register to determine how much to ask for and give back. if urs doesnt have that option for whatever backwards reason, having a calculator on sight is not bad, its efficient.

and remember as soon as they leave its over. when it comes to ignorant customers, just think about how funny it is and what kind of greentexts you could write about em later.

in regards to your manager, stop caring. if you do something wrong, acknowledge it apologize, and move on knowing you wont make the mistake again or at least as often. you gotta remember that in five minutes its all over. thats all these little moments are: little moments. and in a few years they will be distant memories, or some parts not e ven memories at all, just part of the stuff randomly deleted by your brain,
>>
>>16630121
So am I allowed to have a calculator on deck?
>>
>>16630105
I'm the same way>>16630090
I'm this guy
That's he reason for the incident at 5 guys. That's why you ask if you can work in the kitchen unless the job is specific to working the cash register.
>>
>>16630126

idk, ask your boss. if the register doesnt tell you the exact change you are meant to give, just ask if you can. if not, have your cell phoen opened ot the calculator. whenever you pull it out make sure you say 'let me calculate that...' as you punch in the numbers so they dont assume you are texting.

but if you explain to your boss its faster for you to bring in a simple calculator and explain that you'll bring in your own they might be annoyed but realize it will be faster than you attempting math in your head.
>>
>>16630130
I'm so bad with numbers I linked the wrong one
>>16630126
Cash registers are calculators with money drawers in them
>>16629899
>>
>>16630105
> Like the register asks for $10.93 and someone gives me a $5.34, I have to use a calculator to get $5.59.
More like the customer's total 10.35 you get a 20 from them you hit the 20 button on the register it tells you the correct change you get the correct money out of the drawer boom done. you're over thinking this which is natural I did too
>>
>>16629759
its fine if you're not a total sperg, or sheltered little babby

You're going to work hard for very little recognition or pay, but that's why its an entry level job.
>>
>>16630151
>You're going to work hard for very little recognition or pay

Again I really don't care. I don't give a single fuck how anyone treats me, because I'm not going to be paid to care. I'm going to be paid to do the shitty job. Doing the job is the problem though, because I don't know if I have the math skill to do it effectively.

It sucks even more because I'm afraid of asking the employer or itnerviewer about this shit because it'll just show I am retarded.
>>
>>16630162
You're making this into a big deal and it's not. Do the interview they'll more than likely tell you what position they want you in or they'll ask you. Walking into an interview afraid of something like that will tank the interview. It's fast food bruh it's one of the lowest common denominator jobs out there literal retards work in fast food I've seen them, you can do it and it seems like you need to just for a self confidence boost jesus dude you gotta think more highly of yourself.
>>
>>16630183
The position I'm applying for is Dairy Queen's frozen guy or whatever it is. The guy who pumps out ice cream. But I hear they make you rotate shifts though, so that's what I'm worried about.

And you're probably right about the confidence thing, because so far it's taking all the amount of willpower I have to even fucking write up the application at all.
>>
>>16630187
Rotating shifts isn't something you need to worry about when you start nor will they put you on something you don't know. If it's a decent place they will have someone training you in every position. Being trained is good because you can get your mistakes out of the way while someone is watching you and they will correct it and tell you what you did wrong. No one at a job will think less of you for making a mistake everyone does it when they first start out.
>>
>>16630213
Will they train me before opening, or actually during the job itself, with real customers?
>>
>>16630187
to add to this>>16630213
I feel you on the application part of it. I've filled out so many apps and I always have a nervous feeling while doing it like I'm not good enough no one is going to hire me. Jobs and school (I hope you're going to go or already enrolled) will boost your confidence trust me.
>>
>>16630217
During the job for the most part they'll introduce you to the equipment before you get things going. Customers don't mean shit they're in and out at a fast food place.I can tell you're worried about the customer's reaction if a mistake is made on your part but it's not an end of the world scenario and it's being played up as something far worse in your head. Trust me dawg I've made plenty of mistakes and all you do is learn from them.
>>
>>16630249
Well the problem again isn't the customers, it's just that if I give away TOO MUCH change or TOO LITTLE change, the manager will probably get pissed off at me. I basically want to do this job as best as I can.

Essentially I don't give a shit what the customers think, I'll just smile and whatever and go through it. I care what my manager thinks, and to some extent, my coworkers.
>>
>>16629759

For a first job it ain't bad, but depending on you geographic location, you could do better for a first.
>>
>>16630390
YOU'RE WORRYING ABOUT A POSITION YOU'RE NOT EVEN APPLYING FOR! FUCKING STOP JESUS CHRIST DUDE STOP THINKING ABOUT MONEY YOU'RE GONNA BE MAKING ICE CREAM! All you have to do when handling money is to COUNT it to your self and then to the customer. That being said YOU'RE NOT APPLYING FOR THAT POSITION! IT'S NOT A PROBLEM YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT!
>>
>>16630456
Nigga chill the fuck out.
At this point in time, this job, no matter how miniscule, is literally going to be the only thing that I have going for me. You bet your ass I'm going to be sitting here taking this shit as seriously as I possibly can, and worry about every detail and plan in advance for it all, so I can hold onto it for as long as I possibly can.

Shit, I have even gone to the level of writing down about 33 interview questions and planning my answers in advance and memorizing every single one of them. I'm that fucking paranoid.

I'd rather be overprepared than underprepared.
>>
>>16630466
LOL
your the one that needs to chill I know this is babby's first job interview but you gotta come correct. You can plan for job interview questions but not the actual job especially since you have no experience. If this is literally the only thing you're doing with your life it doesn't look good to employers at all. Go to school I'm not saying this for any other reason then going to school helps you're mess of a life I know it's a mess I can tell by the posts so don't deny it. Job interviews go well then you get the call or email you didn't get it then what? Back to square one? I'm not saying this to shit on you I'm saying this because I've been there. Even if you get the job what then? You're not gonna be making enough to pay bills so you work more, It's fast food still doesn't pay enough and now you're working a shitload of hours and not getting much out of it. Jobs like these help you out in life to reach a bigger goal don't sell yourself short a think this is some big thing, you can do bigger.
>>
File: Kikes_did_9_11_Pepe.png (232 KB, 619x406) Image search: [Google]
Kikes_did_9_11_Pepe.png
232 KB, 619x406
>>16629759
>>
Pro tip: Wash your fucking shirt every day, don't be that guy with the line of splattered ice cream encrusted on your shirt. Assuming you're in the US it's probably winter where you're at, which means it's going to be deader than dead, so brush up on your small talk. Also since it's dead in the winter, it matters less when you fuck up. You basically have until summer to get your shit together. If you're working chill, there will most likely be a little black book somewhere in the ice cream area that has all of the blizzard flavors listed out. If your store's anything like mine, nobody will tell you about it because nobody knows it exists and it will save your ass the first few weeks.
>>
>>16630509
Nigga, I am 18 years old, live with my parents, just fresh out of High School, and I am split between going to college for a CS degree, or going to a trade school for either welding, data entry, or trucking.

The reason why I'm getting the job is not just to feel like I have my place, it's also because I'm not stupid enough to fall into the same trap all the other retards I see out there have fallen into, and that is thinking that going to college and getting their fucking piece of paper will automatically guarantee them a job.

Employers, and I especially speak on the CS part, don't give a single fuck about your paper. They care if you have the fucking job experience and that you know what you're doing, and you have the things to show you know what you're doing.

In the CS field, specifically for programming jobs, a CS degree does not mean jack shit if you don't know how to fucking program. I have TONS of backup on this, from friends, stories all over the internet, etc and that is: CS graduates hardly know how to program at all.

The fucking businesses have learned this long ago, and that's why it's not mandatory to go to college to enter the programming field like some of the other fields are. Programming you can get experience for without college. A degree only just opens a few more doors. It's not a guarantee.

The same goes for most other jobs. If I am to get a good job, I need fucking EXPERIENCE to show I have worked before. Now adays, harldy any college students have even worked a minmum wage job at all.

So, to answer your question, I'm going to get a job, work my ass off and keep it as long as I can, and while I have my time off, finally make up my mind whether or not to go into trade school, or college. I'm not getting the job for the money, that's about like 25% of it. I'm getting it because it will help pave way to my future goals. I literally don't need the job for anything else. Just experience.
>>
>>16630613
Also, I know what someone will say...
>They care if you have the fucking job experience and that you know what you're doing, and you have the things to show you know what you're doing.
>"oh wel that mean u do need degre xd"

When I say that you have the thing to show you know what you're doing, I mean a portfolio of programming projects, and a damn lengthy one, something I've been building for the past 3 years of my life, and I am continuing to build it. I'm not going to college for programming probably though, it's more of a hobby.

More than likely, I'll work at this shithole for about a year, and then go into the trade school and go from there. It just seems like the best path.
>>
>>16630613
Dude dairy queen experience doesn't mean shit you should've done that when you were 16 and still in high school. No one is gonna see you worked at Diary Queen and be impressed except for other food related jobs.
>>
>>16630613
Are you fresh out of high school? It's january? How long have you been out?
>>
>>16630638
Well not fresh per say, but I've been out for about 8 months now. Still under a year.

>>16630631
It's better than nothing.
>>
It's a low skill min wage job for a reason they expect everyone they hire to get drooling retards. I'm a driver for paoajohns and in store the computer tells you exactly how much change to give back if you type in what bill they hand you. I'm most certain every food place is like this
>>
>>16630775
what about the change
>>
>>16630783
Order is 13.22, they hand you 20.25
Just type it in and there is a change due boxthat says the amount. If you're feeling really fancy you can hit the split payment button and charge part of their order on credit card and the other half on cash
>>
Charisma and nepotism is everyone's best friend.
>>
I did food service for 5 months. Worst job I ever did. Low pay, shitty co-workers, come home covered in grease, rude customers, constant workload.

Work it for 3 months then look for something else and take the first thing you can get that is not dealing with food or the general public. Construction and warehouse work is great for low pay.

>>16630794
This. Don't mess up what you put in because you will need to do math.
>>
i worked at DQ when I first got out of high school. Lot of free ice cream. put on about 30 lbs. shit was so cash
>>
>>16631240
Oh so it wasn't that shit?
>>
I started out and for months I thought it was fucking horrible, but now I can completely tolerate it

You WILL consider quitting at least once per shift. and you WILL go on a lengthy job search and get rejected numerous times until you just accept it
>>
>>16631274
Ah I was 17 at the time and this was a long time ago. If you're still young, it's an ok job. I mostly jacked around and would steal food and ice cream. Pay was absolute shit and it could get hectic at time.

Good thing about working at DQ is in the winter, business got pretty slow so you had more time to goof off.

I wouldn't recommend being there more than a year. Just something to start your adult life in. Or if your in college or something.
>>
>>16631303
Apparently they pay $9 an hour over here, which is like $1.75 above the minimum wage here...
>>
>>16631318
Whole hell of a lot better when I started. 5.15 an hour was what I made and that was minimum wage.

Of course I closed and management wasn't around so I would take blizzards/shakes/food home.

If you can get in as a cook, that will be better. Not a lot of people go to DQ to order food. It's almost always ice cream.

I was the cook who only did ice cream when it got real busy.

Usually food orders will involve chicken strip baskets. I made tons of those.

Like I say, it's not bad. But you don't wanna do it long term. And I could never do it now. It's something you gotta do when your young. I would not have the patience now.

Oh, and if you work on the front line, expect people to shit on you time to time. Customers like to shit on restaraunt people for some reason.
>>
>>16629759
You'll be fine anon. I've had coworkers who were literal retards operate the cash register fine. Customers and managers are the worse part of the job.
>>
>>16629759
My ex worked at DQ. I loved those mint oreo blizzards, but it wasn't enough for me to stay with his overbearing controlling psycho ass that wanted me to delete all my friends and have no one but him.
I work at KFC, and its bad but bearable. The worst part is the old customers that come in and complain there's a 15 minute wait on chicken because chicken isn't like fast food, it takes actual time to cook.
Also not allowed to accept tips, and only a 30% discount on food.
but I did meet my current boyfriend there, we work together and love together now, and we love it.
>>
When I was a mechanic I took a job at a sandwich shop as a service source of income. $9.75/hr to make sandwiches wasn't horrible, even working about 70 hours a week between both jobs. I quit when school started up because the manager was a moron and I knew he'd never be able to manage scheduling me around school and another job. Met a few career food service workers. They had broken souls and broken bodies.
>>
>>16631332
Ha! Nice.
So did you ever get caught? Didn't they have cameras/notice inventory missing?
>>
>>16631358
No never got caught.

We had 1 camera but it didnt work and only pointed to the register.

If anyone ever noticed inventory missing, I was never told about it.

Didn't matter anyways, the owners running it were crooked anyways. It end up going under and come to find out they hadn't paid any Social Security or unemployment in on any employees and they got in trouble. So I guess it evens out.

Did get to create all kinds of crazy blizzards.

Also, their brownies are great. I ate a whole container of them one night. Got sick as a dog and had to leave but damn they were good. If they still make brownie earthquakes, get one.
>>
2 months of Krispey Kreme. Worst job I ever had. Immediately looked for a job just to get out of there.
>>
>>16631371
I'm lactose intolerant unfortunately. That and I can't eat anything with gluten in it.
>>
>>16631378
fuck dont even start then. too much temptation.
>>
>>16631394
Nah I've been on a diet for like 5 years. Is no biggie.
>>
>>16629759
Nail it be good at it. Don't let the long days get to you. Wear comfy as fuck shoes. Youll be fine. You got this man.
>>
Working at Starbucks for a year and a half now. It's a bit different in terms of job satisfaction I imagine but the work is similar. It's pretty high stress and it'll wear down on your body. Hopefully your coworkers are likable.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.