[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is pursuing your interests as a career not considered as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: fabric design.jpg (191 KB, 440x403) Image search: [Google]
fabric design.jpg
191 KB, 440x403
I mean, work is not meant to be fun. It is more important to find a job which pays the bills. So why is pursuing your interests as a career not considered as being picky?
>>
File: 1451242495232.jpg (10 KB, 227x261) Image search: [Google]
1451242495232.jpg
10 KB, 227x261
Because enjoying your work is pretty much a necessity or you'll go insane a decade later.

You also have to balance it against how realistic your ideal career is, but if you hate your job you're hating a significant portion of your life.
>>
I think it's classist. pursuing your interests as a career is somewhat to tremendously expensive, so if you can't do it you're poor and therefore inferior.
>>
>>16628989
>Because enjoying your work is pretty much a necessity or you'll go insane a decade later.
the overwhelming majority of people who have ever lived beg to differ.
>>
Everyone knows it. You take a job that you have a passion for. But it is definitely hard because not many people have the financial security to explore that option. We have bills to pay, life moves forward. Another argument against doing a career aligned to your interests is that it is inherently risky, you may fail and not become rich (read actors, musicians, artists) but those who do take the risk and succeed reap the benefits only few could dream of (read entrepreneurs). So when you tell your parents that you want to be an actor (assume this is your interest) it is both against the grain, extremely risky, and also will not provide you security as a guaranteed salary job at the xyz corporation.
>>
>>16628993
So why is it that people think that "why do pursue their interests as their careers when they could pursue them as hobbies" threads are absurd? I mean, they are not?
>>
>>16628993
>the overwhelming majority of people who have ever lived beg to differ.

Could you post a source after you get back visiting the past and asking said question to anyone who has ever lived? I'd like to cite you on that. Also, if you happen to see Jesus, ask him what REALLY motivated him to do what he did? Thanks.
>>
>>16629011
>implying Jesus is real
>>
>>16629003
this again?
>>
>>16628977
enjoying your work is a good thing, but not compulsory
>>
>>16629003
because if you can afford to do the thing it's obviously better. That not everyone can do it does not mean that some people can and should.
>>
Every. Single. Day.

Your threads are being deleted because they're retarded and off-topic. Can't you take the hint already?
>>
>>16629160
This is different! I am not asking the same question.
>>
>>16629192
keked
>>
You can say that everyone is picky and egoist, and apply it to everything, really.

Chosing a job that is going to fit more whatever need you have is picky. Deciding that you preferer a job that you hate more just because you can pay for thing that you want is also picky. If in the end you are just doing something because you want something good in return and if nobody gets anything bad about it, then going after a job you like is not a problem at all. Deciding to have a phone can be cosidered picky, saying that you should be praised for working in something that you don't like (just an example, i'm not saying that this is your argument nor anything especific like that) is actually picky in the end because it fits the lifestyle that you prefer to have. The only difference is that the lifestyle that some people chose involve working in something that they enjoy doing instead of getting the resource to live how you want to live outside the job. Some people balance how much they hate doing something and how good it is for them when they do it, that also works for jobs (how much you like it, how much happy you can be with the money you get from it).

And I could go beyond this and talk about how you measure the importance of a job/skill, involving people asking other to let them make a living doing whatever they want when people are not interested in their skills, people failing contracts just because they could get more money somewhere else (job hunters), "free" college, etc
>>
>>16629277
/thread
>>
If you can choose a job that you can enjoy, why not pick that?
>>
>>16628977
because living to just work is depressing and pointless. working with a job that correlates with your passion is great because it is enjoyable and you are woking towards something you love.
>>
>>16629560
Yeah, but all jobs suck really. All jobs are stressful in their own ways.
>>
>>16629563
This again? wtf
>>
>>16629563
yeah but there is a difference between being stressed out sometimes and having an unambitious life that is heading no where. just sounds like you are making up excuses
>>
>>16629622
>having an unambitious life that is heading no where
Why pursue a passion when you can do it as a hobby though? Also, it is more important to find a stable, well-paid job (eg. government employee).
>>
>>16629625
this idiot again
>>
>>16629932
What did I do?
>>
>>16628993

really? everyone will agree you gotta pay the bills but they will also agree you need to get a job that you dont hate. there is such thing as a balance.

that being said, why is aiming to do the best you can with what you love 'picky' to you.

picky is NEEDING a job asap and refusing one that is being offered cuz you dont want it. its a sense of entitlement that you deserve something specific so refuse to take thigns 'beneath you'. it doesnt have an interest or an end goal.

but pursuing your interests when you are able to do so and try it out is just someone being ballsy enough to do what they want in life.
>>
>>16628977

In most parts of the world it is considered being picky. The American concept that you should follow a career you find fulfilling and so on is something that has picked up steam over the last decade or so. Previous generations placed much higher value on stability and financial independence.

In reality work is work. There's always going to be parts of it you don't like. And if you're going to pick something like photography or songwriting as your career you better be ready for a lifetime of financial instability and leeching off of your parents. Of course you could hit it big and be massively successful, but the chances are very low. If you want to be an artist, accept the burden of the artist.
>>
>>16629954
>there is such thing as a balance.
the balance is that you'll die on the street if you're too picky about jobs.
>>
>>16629960
So shy do people call me close-minded when I create those "Why do people pursue their passions as careers?" threads?
>>
>>16629962

right. but pursuing a career that interests you is not inherently going to make you live on the street.

like i said, being picky is not taking jobs that are being offered when you truly need them.

but most people who pursue their interests in career dont end up on the street. they often take those lower jobs as part time while pursuing something else.

but by your own logic anyone who even goes to college or hunts for a specific job is 'picky' as opposed to just 'smart'.
>>
>>16629969
*why
>>
>>16629969

Because young people who haven't even started their careers have an overly idealistic vision of the world where everyone with hard work and talent can and will make it in any field they choose.
>>
>>16629977
I agree, but when I create those threads, people do not agree! Look: http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/16599347/#16599347
>>
How many times do you post this thread? You get the same answers.

It is creepy deja vu.
>>
>>16630016
So? These guys agree with me!
>>16629960
>>16629962
>>
>>16628977
It is and should be. That said, if you work a job you're interested in, you'll probably achieve more (all else being equal) than if you hate it.
>>
File: 252131747.jpg (40 KB, 468x344) Image search: [Google]
252131747.jpg
40 KB, 468x344
>>16630020
It doesn't matter. Your thread subject isn't relevant to what I'm talking about. Most of the people in this thread are well past that. Someone else has said the same shit to you.

Every time I come to this board you have this fucking thread.

Are you autistic? How do you keep doing this day after day?
>>
>>16628977
how many fucking times are you going to post this thread
>>
>>16630043
They agree with me. It proves that I am right.
>>
>>16630855
as many times as i want
>>
fck this thread
>>
>>16632204
...what?
>>
>>16628991

This is true.

But the pursuit has consequences. You could be poor but possess the talent and pursue it anyway...or make sacrifices along the way like a crippling student loan (that's what I've got -.-).

Yet, I graduated and I got some experience in a career that I love. The worst thing about it is once you get a taste of the work you love...you can't settle for anything else. Most of my work is contract based so yeah, I get paid but unemployment is an issue.

So there's up and downs...there's also finding a profession that you love and is also financially satisfying? But to go for a job that's soul sucking and "pays well"? I don't hear good things...
>>
>>16633058
What is your job?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.