[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mother goes through at least 2 cases of beer and several
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1448947841923.jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1448947841923.jpg
60 KB, 550x366
>mother goes through at least 2 cases of beer and several bottles of wine a week
>she's drunk every day by 7:00PM

Give it to me straight guy, is she an alcoholic? This seems like a little much in my opinion.

How do I approach this subject with her? I worry for her health. Also she's really fucking annoying when she's been drinking, which is always, so she's always really fucking annoying.
>>
>>16628555
>is she an alcoholic?
What do you think, given what you've told us?
>>
>>16628560
Yes desu senpai. I don't know, it's just hard to acknowledge that something I grew up thinking was normal might be a legitimate addiction issue.

I'm more worried about how she's going to take it when I try to confront her about this. Maybe I should just let her drink herself to death and leave it alone, but she says/does stupid things when she's been drinking. I feel like I'd be doing a disservice to her if I just leave her to rot.
>>
2 cases in a week and drunk every day. Yes she is a alcoholic.

Obviously i never had the situation of approaching someone with this problem. But mention the things you said you worry for her health and she is starting to annoy you. Also don't forget the underlying problem there might be no one drinks that much alone for fun.
>>
>>16628555

talk to her and just say you are a bit worried. alcohol is supposed to enhance your life, not be the foundation of it. ask her if she'd be willing to cut back on it, perhaps down to just alternating evenings, and never before sundown.

then go over possible hobbies with her. most people who drink dont have anything to do so need to numb the buzz of TV or something. she probably got so used to being an adult she forgot how to have hobbies. so talk to her about what she used to do or what shed like to do.

then perhaps try and do things with her. not often, but even just sometimes. if she wants to write a script, read it for her. if she wants to paint her house, help with one of the rooms. that sort of thing.

if she has a few slips thats fine, but if she literally doesn't change at all, suggest AA and rehab
>>
>>16628555
Alcoholism isn't binary.
And it certainly has nothing to do with the amount one drinks.

Does she do things that she legitimately regrets when she's under the influence?
Has she put her or anyone around her's life at risk? Has she put her job at risk?
Does she end up drinking more than she'd like to?

You can tell her that you don't like the way she is when she drinks. You can tell her that you will avoid spending time with her when she drinks for this reason. You can tell her that you're concerned about her health with the amount she's drinking.

But that's it. You can't say she 'has a problem' unless you have actual evidence. And since all you gave us is the amount she drinks, I doubt she's done anything that would constitute a problem (i.e. gotten a DUI, lost her job, ext)
>>
>>16628566

>Maybe I should just let her drink herself to death and leave it alone,

Don't fucking do this.

My mom passed from complications relating to alcoholism last August. She'd dropped to 90 pounds, lost her memory and lived in a convalescent home for a year before succumbing to her illness. It's a death I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

I had the same thought for years -- fuck it, I tried, if she doesn't care enough to stop despite all our attempts then she can just let the booze take over and kill her. I gave up. Moved far away and cut off contact.

A while before she passed (and before her mind deteriorated to the point where she didn't know who I was), she called me and apologized for everything. I broke down and told her I forgave her, and told her I was sorry for abandoning her. At least in that there was some closure.

But there's still that nagging feeling that I could have done more. Could have stuck around, could have maybe said SOMETHING to stop her from drinking. There wasn't, but still...

The only thing I can suggest is to bring it up in a non-accusatory manner. Alcoholics hate being shown for what they are; they hate being told they have a problem.

Something along the lines of: "You've been drinking a lot, and I'm concerned. I'm sure you have a handle on it but I'm worried it'll get worse... I care about you..." etc.

It probably won't make much of a difference; the only way to get an alcoholic to stop is for them to want to stop. Still, it's worth a shot.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.