[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why should I see a therapist? They are humans with flaws too.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1449450683020.jpg (44 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1449450683020.jpg
44 KB, 633x758
Why should I see a therapist?

They are humans with flaws too. They'll judge me and insert their biases into whatever they tell me to do or how they are feeling that day.

So what's the point? I know I need help.
>>
therapists have very little to do with therapy. most of the value is the catharsis from talking. the rest of the work you have to do yourself, but they've been trained in supporting and helping people.
>>
Do you know a better option?
>>
>>16628496
therapists know things that you don't.
they may be flawed, but they are trained to help you with problems pertaining to your mental health.
that's why you would go see one.

but, as you said, they do have a bias, which is why you should try a few, until you find one who's bias you agree with.
>>
>>16628496

if you know you need help then you know you need it from SOMEONE not something.

so you have two choices
>seek out someone who is licensed to deal with your particular issues
>seek out someone you know has personal experience with these issues.

a therapist has to get licensed. whether or not you trust that licensing is up to you, but they arent just people who woke up one day and decided to charge you. a lot of people 'shop' for therapists, trying to find one that works for htem, because they are as diverse as any people.

but like other anons say, they for the most part just let you talk and they ask you questions. unlike a psychologist or a psychiatrist, they are not supposed to tell you what is what.

they ask you questions, and based on your responses guide you to what you really want.

>my mother wont stop inviting me over for dinner
does that upset you anon?
>yes, because everytime she does she spends the whole night complaining about how i never visit
have you tried talking to her about this
>yes, i even made it a point to see her every day of a week and she didnt make note and continued to complain i was never around
do you want to be around her more?
>not really, i find the once a week to be tiring as it is. i do it mostly out of obligation at this point.
what would you like to do instead
>id like to just cut her off, but as i said id feel very guilty
well anon, why dont you NOT go this week, and see how that feels for you. then we can discuss it next week.

thats basically how it goes. they lead you to what you are actually trying to say, but encourage you to do what you are afraid to do.
>>
Why should I see an architect?

They are humans with flaws too. They'll judge me and insert their biases into whatever they tell me to build or how they are feeling that day.

Stop making excuses, it's quite natural to go to experts for help and advice and we are communal creatures.
>>
Why should I see a doctor?

They are humans with flaws too. They'll judge me and they have their own health problems and bad habits.

>>
>>16628496
Because there's no one else you can talk about your issues wiht.
>>
File: tumblr_l3bokiiyQj1qac08mo1_500.jpg (125 KB, 500x522) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l3bokiiyQj1qac08mo1_500.jpg
125 KB, 500x522
>>16628496
What is your situation? Post about your situation here and we'll see if you should go see a therapist or not.
>>
OP, the biggest waste of time and money I've ever had was spent on a therapist.

All it did was make me feel like a shit person. I can do that without spending 75 bucks a week.

As it turned out after some self reflection, I was fine the whole time. Everyone in my life told me I needed therapy, and when I went I had an epiphany that people don't want me to go to therapy for myself, they wanted me to change who I was to conform to THEIR standards.

Now if you are legitimately having issues, see a therapist. But if you aren't, a therapist will do more harm than good, in my experience.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.