[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wrote, produced and directed this short film: https://www.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Chad.png (60 KB, 196x221) Image search: [Google]
Chad.png
60 KB, 196x221
I wrote, produced and directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cAXAI5SN3M&feature=youtu.be

The editing didn't come out that well, but I'm sort of happy with it. Should I continue making films or am I a lost cause?
>>
File: horse.jpg (102 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
horse.jpg
102 KB, 1024x681
[opinion removed due to copyright reasons]
>>
>>16627649
That was a piece of crap.
>>
>>16627665
Ha. What did you think?

>>16627721
What didn't you like about it?
>>
Alright, so I got 16 seconds in and my first suggestions is to go to youtube, and watch the few short videos by 'Every frame a painting'.

They are really nice to watch and so insightful even if you werent a film buff you would appreciate him.

Id also say that you watch a lot of modern films aimed at the lowest common denominator based on the way its going so far. Ill watch on but honestly dont expect this opinion to change much.
>>
>>16627773
>What did you think
that you should stop
>>
>>16627649
to be fair, I couldnt watch more than 2-3 minutes.

Script turned me off. The whining about spanish language and americans blah blah blah lib bs got to be a bit too much. But maybe there is some twist I didnt get to because I couldnt take watching all?

Editing sucked. Especially the sound. At least crossfade it you idiot.

Camerawork was shoddy at best.

Just screamed amateur hour. But I'm not saying you should quit. ust have something better if you wanna show people and get compliments.
>>
>>16627794
Thanks for the critique. What didn't you like about the camerawork?
>>
>>16627794
>The whining about spanish language and americans blah blah blah lib bs got to be a bit too much

This. I wanted to deport my computer after watching the first 30 seconds.
>>
>>16627787
Also its too long winded already, honestly Im a minute and a half in and im done.
>>
>>16627801
Its the sort of camera work you see in reality tv or lowest common denominator chick flicks and comedy films. Watch the every frames a painting guy and you will very quickly see what I mean.
>>
>>16627801
>What didn't you like about the camerawork?
First of all, you could tell it was made by some shitty consumer camera, with no thoughts about framing, lenses or lighting.

Secondly your framing are just basically the same 3 shots throughout the whole video. No close ups. No reaction shots. You don't even show all 3 actors in an establishing shot.

It's like you got 2 other people, made one shot for the chick. One for the spanish dude and then filmed yourself with a tripod.

Theres no movement in it. It's static and dull.
>>
>>16627787
>you watch a lot of modern films aimed at the lowest common denominator

That's true. I'm a low brow guy.

>>16627812
::shrug:: Was it too didactic?
>>
>>16627827
>Was it too didactic?
Well duh, I don't know who you wanted to create empathy for in this film, but I wanted to shoot that greaser who never shut the fuck up.

You made a one minute move 5 times onger than it needed be.
>>
>>16627826
>You don't even show all 3 actors in an establishing shot.

One actor couldn't make it that day.

I hear ya on the same three shots. If I had more time and a more cameras, I would've used more angles.

>>16627825
I'll check him out.
>>
>>16627846
>If I had more time and a more cameras
Ever heard of just blocing out the scenes and shooting it more than once. You aren't making theater. And you only need one camera.
>>
>>16627840
>I don't know who you wanted to create empathy for in this film

The waiter mostly. By greaser, do you mean the waiter or the boyfriend?
>>
And one more thing.

>Should I continue making films or am I a lost cause?

What is it you actually wanna do? You havent reallt impressed me as a producer, director or writer. I'll tell you this because of my own experience, find what you wanna do and learn that trade. Dont try to do every aspect of this.

If you want to do camera (your camerawork isnt impressive, but if you take good photos its a possiblilty) then take pictures and hone your skills in that.

If you want to write, then write short stories and head over to /lit/

If you want to be a director, then you need people skills. I'd say read books on directing and also volunteer on some charity work learning to deal with people.

If you want to be a producer, you just need to learn how to be an asshole.
>>
>>16627854
>blocing out the scenes

I blocked out the scenes and planned on more elaborate camera work, but then one actor couldn't make it and there wasn't time to find someone else. If I re-positioned the camera, I would've had to use different angles for each shot. I didn't want to take up too much time. Schedules you know.

That's definitely something I'll think about in the future.
>>
>>16627856
>By greaser
clearly the waiter talking spanish. Your point could more easily have been put across by using the subtitles. All the long winded shit about the ancestors etc could have been written as a subtitle, whereas the waiter just says: "Well of course I speak English, Sir. May I take your order?"
>>
>>16627870
I'm interested in writing and directing. I've had stories published, both fiction and non-fiction. In a few months, I'm directing another short film. I may put together another in the mean time.
>>
>>16627827
It did treat me like I could keep up unless every single step of the conversation was slowly spelled out. This makes it boring because I dont have to think, and because there is no action on screen and all of the shots are boring repeated close ups of a torso from the same angles I had nothing to consider, think about, or look at.
>>
>>16627879
>I've had stories published
and by this you mean?

>I'm interested in writing and directing.

OK good, because your technical skills seem to be sub par.
>>
>>16627885
That's good feedback. Thank you.
>>
>>16627891
One of my short stories is in a horror anthology. L.A. Weekly has also published a few of my journalistic pieces.

In terms of editing, it was my first time working with outdoor footage and with Final Cut Pro X instead of Final Cut Pro 7. The other videos on my channel are a better showcase of my editing work.
>>
>>16627901
>One of my short stories is in a horror anthology.
Why dont you post that instead of your shitty short film. That actually sounds interesting.
>>
>>16627901
>The other videos on my channel are a better showcase of my editing work.
like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnyB8GeZSoc
>>
>>16627914
Here it is: http://astore.amazon.com/singripre-20/detail/1944044043

I'm looking for critiques about the short. It was my first directing effort and I want to improve.
>>
>>16627920
I was thinking this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ml8QVGR4dY

Or this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASAqOSnkhjQ

Troll harder.
>>
>>16627924
>Troll harder.
How is that trolling? The vader one was literally the first other video I watched because of the title, and it didnt impress me.

At any rate, I don't want to come off like a dick in the new year. I'm just drunk and don't know what I'm saying. Good luck with your endeavors.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.