[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become more articulate and well worded? The way I talk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: BACON_.jpg (312 KB, 1000x783) Image search: [Google]
BACON_.jpg
312 KB, 1000x783
How do I become more articulate and well worded? The way I talk to people now is awkward and off putting, combined with just not knowing what to say in conversations. Its at the point where I have trouble kicking up discussion on this very site.
>>
Read more to increase vocabulary and linguistic skills. Hang out with a wide variety og people and listen to them more to find out contemporary colloquial
>>
Practice being attentive to the way in which people speak. The most effective form of communication is to talk in the way which people talk to you. It's part of knowing your audience.
>>
You probably don't talk much, check some info online to talk with your "true" voice, not forced, practice alone.
>>
>>16626415
How did you know I didn't?
>>
Read... then read some more... and then read even more. Make sure to read different genres/authors as well, as to broaden your intake of a wide range of diverse words and phrases. As you find some you like, make a concentrated effort to include them into your conversations.

Try to get into circles that promote intellectual thought/discourse. Maybe read some philosophy or political/economic theory. Having a vast vocabulary means nothing if you don't possess the intellectual capacity to figure out how to interject it into everyday conversations.

Also: write. When you write, you have the time to be very deliberate about your wording and phrasing. It enables you to find your own particular vernacular and pacing as you try to figure out how to transpose your own isolated thoughts and ideas onto paper for OTHERS to understand. Also, as I write, I find it useful to remember that that IS the goal (i.e. succesfully getting someone else to understand what you're thinking) and thus imagine that I'm actually speaking to people, as it essentially forces me to articulate everything as clearly as possible; when the goal is to put everything on paper as if you're communicating in person, you will very likely improve your ability to communicate in person.

Lastly: go out and actually converse with people; and I don't mean just bullshit with them, have actual meaningful conversations. I obviously don't know your personal situation, but I myself have a good close friend that I spend some time with each week and have lengthy discussions with. We discuss news, politics, sports, science, math, literature, etc.; basically, anything that interested us that week. If you're lucky, it'll be someone who isn't overly critical and will allow you to work your way through brain farts, like stumbling through a new word.

I have a very noticeable stutter, yet get compliments on my interpersonal communication skills nonetheless. All you have to do is put in some effort and you'll do well.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.