[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>make plan in 9th grade to kill myself when highschool ends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1450323925270.jpg (59 KB, 585x898) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1450323925270.jpg
59 KB, 585x898
>make plan in 9th grade to kill myself when highschool ends because I had no friends or serious aspirations
>grades suffer badly for two years
>somehow end up dating the valedictorian of the grade above me
>she helps me find purpose
>grades improve somewhat, as I then planned to go to a technical school following highschool
>we plan to stay together after highschool (we were both lonely, but very happy with one another)
>I visit varying in-state colleges with her to help her decide where she wants to go
>we both fall in love with a very good engineering college
>feel as though grades don't represent who I am
>I strive for the rest of my senior year to get grades up to be accepted
>I barely make it, I am heavily advised to see a counselor

I'm very worried that I won't be good enough for the college that I want to go to. I plan on going for Computer Science, which require as rigorous of courses as other engineering majors.

Do I:
>risk going to four year college with gf
>four/five years at ~17,000/yr
>be guaranteed any job that I want because of certifications and credentials that college holds (NASA, NSA, etc.)
>possible, but would kick my ass

>stay at home and go to local 2 year college
>costs 5,300/yr, can transfer after
>friend's brother graduated with 2 year degree and started at 53,000/yr salary
>work for family business and see gf on weekends
>won't be as fulfilling

Her leaving isn't in the question. Seeing as how many of you have been far past college, I was wondering what /adv/ thought.
>>
The latter, obviously. No college will guarantee you a job, don't be naive. With the second option, you always have the option of transferring if you feel you're not being pushed enough or if you manage to save up enough money.
>>
>>16625500
>CS
>be guaranteed any job that I want because of certifications and credentials that college holds

Programming is the most outsourced job lol
>>
>>16625500
Don't settle for something that wont make you happy, and don't worry about the money too much 17k a year isn't bad CS averages 60k starting.
>>
>>16625508
>>16625535

I'm honestly stuck between these two things.

It would be entirely safe to go to a community college, and have the option to transfer if I want to. However, I can more than likely still manage if I push myself hard enough in the 4 year.

More background info:
>Brother/father may need me to help run business, which I could do with community college because of proximity and lower difficulty.
>I do not care about money as long as I get enough to live decently. I do not crave expensive things, and actually want to live in a moderately small home.
>gf and I will see each other on weekends if cc, but can room together if 4 year.
I'm afraid that I'll either be overburdened by work at 4 year or that I'll not get a good enough education at cc.
>>
>>16625582
That's just confirmed CC as the best option in my mind. The only thing pulling you towards the other option is the girlfriend, and you should never make a big decision like this based on a relationship at your age. You'll still see her over the weekends anyway.
>>
>>16625500
go to the expensive school work hard and associate with the people that make you happy. you'll make the money back. Also advice is look up the course you want to take, look up the professors of the college that teach their course, find their publication and in the personal essay to that college add in how this is ideal for you and you're interested in what you want to do and work on.
>>
>>16625535
>17k a year isn't bad CS averages 60k starting
Yeah, but a job is not guaranteed, and half of all graduates earn less than 60k a year because that's how averages work. He's still going to put himself almost 70k in debt over the four years in tuition alone if he chooses the four year college.
>>
>>16625582
What does community college get you? If you want to transfer to a CS program and finish in 2 years you will need to take very spasific courses at the CC. You will save some money but it will be harder. I actually did this 2 years CC two years 4year school for a BSEE and it is a good route if you can make the transfer happen right but you will need to be on top of
that. Talk to counselors at both schools.
>>16625595
Standard deviation is like 10K
>>
>>16625626
>Standard deviation is like 10K
Yeah, but there's still no guarantee that he'll have a job right away after he graduates. CC with the option of transferring is much less risky, and it seems like it'll give a bit more of a balanced life too
>>
>>16625595
Due to me being a spoiled cunt, my father plans to help me with my schooling.

My mother fucked him over by dropping out her senior year for Bio major, only to come back 12 years later to become an elementary school teacher. My brother also dropped out his first year and got caught with drugs, not to mention that he in over 100k in house debt and has totaled four of my father's vehicles.

My father owns my brother's house, provided my brother with cars, and has payed for my mother's wasted schooling. He wants to help me out with college, and I don't plan on doing any stupid shit while I'm there. Not only do I plan to not fuck him over, but I also plan to pay him back once stable.

>>16625626
>>16625593
Will do this. What are some specifics that I should ask them?

>>16625590
>>16625635
Leaning towards this.
>>
>>16625509
Don't want to give it away, but it's one of the top five engineering colleges in the nation. If I can't get any job I want, I can get A job I want, considering most students are hired even before they graduate, and ~95% of students find jobs at least by the beginning of the year following graduation.
>>
>>16625666
Serious advice: don't think you're definitely going to have a job when you finish. My friend went to a school like that, where they actually told her she'd have a job when she finished, but in the end she had a lot of difficulty in finding a job afterwards because the field had become rather saturated, both with graduates who finished before her, and qualified people immigrating to where there was work. Nothing is a given in life.
>>
>>16625671

This is why I'm concerned about community college.

If the market becomes saturated, I have the advantage of a diploma that is certified by many companies and agencies if I finish with the 4year. While I can still get the same diploma by transferring, I feel as though I'll lose a lot of important information by going to a community college.
>>
>>16625687
>I feel as though I'll lose a lot of important information by going to a community college.
You feel? Or you know? Big difference. If it's the former, I don't think it'll be too much of an issue.
>>
>>16625648
If you plan to transfer from a CC to a 4 year school for a technical degree you will need to fill the programs prereqs, this is different from just getting "an associates degree." Talk to the 4 year school first and find out if they take students from this CC into the program you want, and what classes they will want. Talk to an adviser in whatever department covers CS. Then talk to an adviser in whatever department covers CS in the CC (if there is one) about what program they have for transferring students. You should be able to find out roughly what classes you will need to take and when (this is super important, some of these classes will have to be take in a sequence) for the next 4 years till you get your degree.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.