[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it unwise to major in an unrelated field to your planned career?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: myfuture.jpg (213 KB, 640x449) Image search: [Google]
myfuture.jpg
213 KB, 640x449
I'd like to work in the translation industry after college, and specifically with either Arabic or Chinese since they're in demand. I'd also like to take a lot of literature classes in college since I'm really interested in the material. Would it be bad to major in literature and minor in a foreign language? I feel as if the foreign language would be easier to study by myself due to past experience, while more time in class with literature would be great just for knowledge's sake. I can get certified by the American Translator's Association which gives me even more credibility, and I'll be able to do all that I want.

Are there any holes in this plan?
>>
Can you double major? Perhaps something like linguistics could be a good medium? All in all, you're probably not going to be able to translate to the best of your ability if you only get a minor in a foreign language
>>
>>16625446
I've heard about double majoring but I really don't know enough specifics. From Google, apparently double majoring doesn't cost extra if you can make all required courses fit into a 4-year span well. It sounds like something I would do if it weren't too stressful. Anyone reading this get a double major?

My main fear is that if I minor in literature I'll miss out on a lot. If I can double major without ruining my finances or any amount of free time, that sounds ideal.
>>
White American male here, assuming you are too. I have a 3 step program for your dreams

1. Get a 4 year degree in whatever you want

2. Fly to China and get a job teaching English

3. Once you've learned Chinese fly back home and start translating.

Tickets to China start at about $700 round trip. If you are as I guessed and have a degree then you can get a job as an English professor or private tutor in any city in the country. I was asked to be a professor of English at two schools in Qingdao, one in Beijing, and a teacher in Changsha, plus all the tutoring you could do on the side. You work 3 days a week, get free room/board, and starting wage is 12k yuan/month. If you don't travel you can save $1000/month while learning Mandarin through exposure. Then you just fly home and leverage your experience teaching and translating between the two along with your extensive knowledge of the culture. Mad money.
>>
>>16625440
Have a nice time finding a stable job as a translator.
Even here in Hong Kong, Translation majors have a very tough time finiding full time work. Which is why it is dumb as fuck for people good enough for Medicine to pick Translation as their major (coz you have to study Medicine as an undergraduate here).
>>
>>16626150
Not sure I want to teach English exactly.

>>16626161
Could you explain more on why it's so difficult? I've heard the good translators distinguish themselves and can make good money.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.