[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I major in if I want to do 3D animation? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1405304819557.gif (499 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1405304819557.gif
499 KB, 500x375
What should I major in if I want to do 3D animation?
I've been googling the past few days and all that seems to come up is kind of niche programs at CSUs or for-profit art institutes.

Is it really worth it?
>>
>>16624506
Anything degree that would have classes which would help would be art degrees, which are not needed at all. You are better off teaching yourself and beginning to develop a portfolio.

If you must get a degree, get a Computer Science or Computer Engineering degree, but be warned that what you learn will have little to do with 3D animation except maybe getting to take one elective course in computer graphics.
>>
>>16624531
Don't you think studios might prefer hiring from colleges though?
I also am not sure if self teaching will be as effective as the classroom, many have representatives from these companies coming in to aid and network with artists for potential jobs out of school.
>>
>>16624506
Yeah, it's pretty useful. You need feedback to get better. Also, school is the best place to start building a social network that will help you get a job and better your skills.
Now, i dont know about the schools in your area, but you should call them to get more information about what they are offering and what companies are hiring their students.
>>
>>16624586

you made this thread the other day and you didnt get the answer you want.

3D animation isnt an art like drawing. its extremely technical. all schools are for profit, art schools just have a bad rep because there is no realistic job market for them.

but there is for 3D animation. its actually done here in america and not just for cartoons but for live action movies as well.

go to a school that teaches 3D animation and do it.

if you want to make sure its right for you, download blender and start going through the tutorials. the /3/ board will help you learn.

but going to get an unrelated degree in college isnt goign to help you. studios dont care about your degree, they care about what you can actually do.
>>
I am of the idea that one's best bet is to build a catalog of your own work. Make a lot of stuff, and more stuff, and put it online, you'll eventually find someone who wants to pay you for your work
good luck
>>
>>16624506
CalArts:Animation.
USC: Animation.
Art Center: Film.
RISD: Film.
SAIC: Animation.
Carnegie Melon: Animation.

I know for a fact you learn 3D at CalArts and you can concentrate on the route, and it gets your foot in the door to a lot of places like Nickelodeon, Disney, and Warner Brothers, but it is highly competitive. Art Center has no formal animation program, but offers classes in Motion Graphics, and can definitely give you foundation for 3D. USC has a very good animation program. Build a portfolio of drawings and animations if you want to go the university route for animation. Make stuff. Take workshops at local colleges and art places.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.