[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Britbong here, needing some advice on which route to take in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: aieoM8LxT.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
aieoM8LxT.jpg
187 KB, 1920x1080
Britbong here, needing some advice on which route to take in my life.

I'm 20 years old and working in a warehouse job for 5 pounds an hour. I finished a course on electrical installation at college nearly a couple of years ago now but this is the problem, the course was supposed to be a route to an apprenticeship to become an electrician and therefore can't be taken to university, problem is its practically impossible to find an apprenticeship in this field nowadays.

I recently thought about going to university and studying something completely different but I'd have to pay for an access to higher education course or something along those lines to get in, which would cost me a lot and would be quite stressful juggling that and work.

Is there any other routes I could take to get away from just being stuck in a minimum wage job for the rest of my young adult life other than the ones I've mentioned?
>>
>>16623469
Apparently careers in the IT sectors are good and easier to get. I asked /g/ but they were as helpful as a handbrake on a canoe.

Certifications and experience is key.
>>
>>16623469
>5 pounds an hour
I hope you don't mean literally, that's under the wage limit
>>
University isn't too bad, you can still work will you go and the debt doesn't have to be paid off until you get a decent job anyway. Find a course with a sandwich placement and the uni will help to get you good experience which might land you a guaranteed job at wherever your placement is
>>
>>16623485
Thanks, I have a friend who did IT at college he's doing it in the RAF now which is cool, might be something to consider, i'm going off the idea of being an electrician anyway seeing as most people who are one have the knees of a 90 year old a 40.
>>
>>16623505
Well £5.30 which is the minimum for a 20 year old I believe
>>
>>16623537
Oh shit yeah, I forgot it was less when you are under 21
>>
>>16623511
I'm just worried about paying for courses to get me there seeing as i don't have any A levels or a diploma that will lead to a university course.
>>
>>16623560
I thought you said you did a course at college? A level equivalent courses count don't they?
>>
>>16623560
If you're smart and/or a quick learner, you could just pay for the exams and study by yourself.

Maths, Chemistry, Biology are just mostly memorising key bits of info and learning to calculate them fast. At A Levels anyway.
>>
>>16623565
I'm not sure, could I get into university and just study something unrelated to my qualification from college? I know that there is no course that is linked to what I did at college that I could study at university.
>>
>>16623577
Yeah that looks like a good idea and a lot cheaper too, do you mean doing them online or at a local college?
>>
>>16623602
I don't know, take a look at the faq on UCAS:
https://www.ucas.com/

It might say. I'm doing a Computer Science course and I know that a lot of my classmates didn't do any computing courses before getting accepted to uni
>>
>>16623606
I'm not sure, check the exam boards for places to take the exams. I think each exam module costs about £70-80 and if I remember my A levels correctly there's six modules for each A level.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.