[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey dudes, I need some advice on taking over a lease so I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 240x200
Hey dudes, I need some advice on taking over a lease so I don't get screwed over. Here are my stats:

>Junior at college
>tuition is $4065 per quarter, with 3 quarters a year
> I have ~$76,000 from a trust fund for housing and tuition
>place im considering costs $775 a month, with a $800 deposit

I'm meeting with the owner today and I want to know what I should ask to avoid getting fucked, any advice?
>>
Get a part time job. Don't rely on your trust fund for money.
>>
>>16623026
Almost $800 a month for how many BR? Does that include utilities, and where are you?
>>
>>16623026

i did somome math for you. assuming you havent started your junior year ( i think you did, but for arguments sake) and assuming you graduate after being a senior, thats 6 quarters of tuition, and 24 months of living.

one thing to consider is general living expenses. your rent is identical to mine, so id assume most of them are, and i spend about 1300 a month (this assumes you dont have a big car payment / insurance however, as i take the bus).

that being said you have enough money to pay your tuition and your rent food utilities etc. for two years

and you will be left with 20,410 AFTER you graduate. not a bad lump sum to start your life with.
>>
>>16623030
Already got one, it only pays $9 an hour though
>>16623044
It's a studio apartment, 650 square feet, it sounds bad but it's the cheapest place where I live.
>>
>>16623026
>>16623056

all that being said, there isnt much to ask other than 'how long is the lease?'

you should be aiming for '1 year, then month to month'. the sooner it transitions to month to month, the better, as you never know when you'll want to move for any reason.
>>
>>16623061

>cheapest place where i live

nah, i get it, i live in LA, its not great here.

if you hunt around you mgiht get a good deal on a two bedroom if you can stand sharing but for now a studio will do you just fine.
>>
>>16623061
>Already got one, it only pays $9 an hour though
Sounds alright then. As long as you follow any general advice you'd get before renting, you should be fine
>>
>>16623056
Awesome, and yeah the utilities are included in the rent
>>
>>16623088

thats even better cuz you dont have to worry about wild cards. the best you can do is sit down and think of ur average budget, and try to allot for an extra hundred or two cuz you know expenses come up.
>>
>>16623026
Wow. I wish I could have had a trust fund of that much. Instead I got 20k in debt and had to work a full time job! Fuck you OP. You have more than enough to cover the remainder of your tuition and housing.
>>
>>16623101
Haha, yeah I'm a privileged piece of shit and I don't give a fuck
>>
>>16623108

no reason why you should. you've done nothing unreasonable in this thread, and seem like an okay guy.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.