[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
named driver on insurance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: sick bump bro.jpg (2 MB, 3340x2192) Image search: [Google]
sick bump bro.jpg
2 MB, 3340x2192
I've been getting some insurance quotes because I want to start driving. I've noticed if I put I've had less than a year of being a named driver on another vehicle, I can save like £300.

Could an insurer prove I wasn't a named driver? Should I say I was a named driver?

Thanks adv.
>>
>>16622655
>Could an insurer prove I wasn't a named driver?
By checking insurance records, obviously.

Serious advice: don't lie when it comes to insurance. They'll do whatever they can to not pay out if you make a claim, and lying on your application generally voids your policy. If they find out, you're screwed.
>>
>>16622655
Insurance fraud is such a big deal that it's a crime and they have private investigators whose sole job is to find that stuff out. Not worth the risk, OP
>>
>>16622684
Is there some database they all share that would have my name listed with being a named driver if I had been? Or would they simply ask for documents from us? I personally wouldn't be given anything to prove I'd been a named driver if it was for less than a year, surely?
>>
>>16622655
>Could an insurer prove I wasn't a named driver?
Mate, it doesn't work like that. You have to provide evidence of the things you're saying rather than them trying to disprove it.

For NCD you have to get a certificate from your previous insurer, but there isn't anything like that for being a named driver. You might "get away" with it when you take the policy out, but the first thing they do when you make a claim is go through everything with a fine tooth comb trying to find a reason not to pay. In your case, that'll mean they want to contact the insureer you were with before, and when they find out it doesn't exist you claim gets junked and you'll be liable for any damage you've caused to the other person's car as well as your own.

That said, there are things that are worth fiddling around with. When I insured my van with my wife as a named driver it came in about thirty quid cheaper than insuring it just me and the lad who works for me, but when I tried getting her as a named driver on my car the price went from £260 to nearly £500 - even though I insure her car with the same company and her policy covers her for driving other vehicles. Try adding someone else as a named driver, preferably with someone more experienced, and see if that helps.

Also, if the car is on old banger, try setting your excess really high. I've got a £750 excess on my van (you only have to pay it if you want your vehicle repaired, the cover the full cost if you hit someone/thing) because it's only worth about two grand and if I crashed it I'd just scrap it and get a new one. The excess on my car is only £100, hence why it costs more to insure, but given that it cost the best part of £40k I'd quite like someone to buy me a new one if I wreck it.
>>
>>16622774
Alright, thanks, it'll be the first time I get insurance, looking at around £1800-£2200 for a 12 plate ford fiesta, so obviously saving £300 is attractive. Guess you're right, saving 300 now isn't worth being fucked for the foreseeable future if something goes wrong.

Funnily enough if I add my dad as a named driver my insurance goes from 3200 to around 2000, but adding my mum increases it, going to play around more trying to reduce it legitimately.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.