[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I quit my job now or wait? (A lot of variables)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: iwastold.jpg (55 KB, 600x470) Image search: [Google]
iwastold.jpg
55 KB, 600x470
So I was accepted into an engineering program last year. I wound up not going and decided I would work full time and try to help my mom (who I love very much). The thing is that the job I'm in offers no movement upwards, and the GM has basically tapped out after 15 years of work at like 37k. There's a dude who has been there for 10 years (making <14k) that got his first promotion a few weeks ago - a mere 20k. I already have another degree, but I've been unable to find work with it. This job is basically the best I could get.

So I emailed the college that accepted me and they suggested it would be possible for me to go back into the program for engineering. The thing is that classes start on the 11th of January and I haven't even filed for anything yet. I'd have to do my admissions, FASFA classes, and transfers in like a week. The good news is that I was already accepted so they probably (I hope) have all that shit still on file, which exponentially increases the likelihood that I can go to school there in a few weeks.

I'll keep this brief, but I'm wondering if I should put my two weeks notice in now. If I put in my two weeks notice, I can smoothly transition from the job directly into college. This is good for me because I have a good reputation at work and want to be able to use my previous employers as references. If I don't give them two weeks they'll probably be pissed and not let me use them as a reference.

The thing is that I don't know if I'll get accepted in time. I don't want to risk leaving, not being able to get into school, and then sitting jobless until the next semester (like 4 months).

I thought about just seeing if I got accepted and THEN putting in my two weeks notice, but I can't realistically work this job and commute to school for two weeks, so it would be the same as if I just quit as soon as I found out.

What does 4chan think? I have to decide today.
>>
My game plan is to try and get my shifts on the weekends so, if I do get accepted, I can try to eek out two weekends working while doing engineering. If it doesn't work out, I still have a job. The shitty thing is that I already told them to reduce my hours and they're not increasing them anymore.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.