[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get over feeling guilty for being privileged? Feeling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1451476608928.jpg (206 KB, 792x1224) Image search: [Google]
1451476608928.jpg
206 KB, 792x1224
How do I get over feeling guilty for being privileged? Feeling like the bad guy in this world is completely sapping me of motivation to do anything.
>>
>>16621552
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM
>>
>>16621556
That's the problem, but what's the solution?
>>
wow
thank christ i went to engineering school
>>
Pointing out privilege doesn't mean accusing someone of being a bad person. It's only bad if you pretend it's not there. Recognize your privilege, and put it to good use.
>>
>>16621583

Ignoring liberals
>>
>>16621552
Um how about stop being a baby and deal with the fact not everyone is gonna have the same chances in life and take advantage of it
>>
>>16621594
I can't. I spent my entire life around liberals. It's engrained in my subconscious.
>>
>>16621596
I feel like doing that is immoral. How do I get over this feeling?
>>
>>16621598
We have a rule. We never free a mind once it's reached a certain age. It's dangerous, the mind has trouble letting go.
>>
>>16621596

Holy shitfuck. I mean, goddamn I'm only 21, but when I was a kid, we had a fuckin' saying "Life's not fair".

Do we call tigers privileged because they shred deers and shit with their big ass claws and teeth? Fuck no - nothin' in this world is fair, some people get more some get less. We move on and we deal with it.

I feel so sorry for the parts of my generation who were never told "lifes not fair" and actually ended up paying to go to university just to be brainwashed into thinkin' that it should be, and that anyone with the scales tipped in their favour is bad.

Life's not fair, deal with it.
>>
>>16621552
>How do I get over feeling guilty for being privileged?
By discarding the modrrn concept of "privilege" as incoherent, overrated, and ultimately self-serving: a denial of personal agency for the purpose of maintaining empty self-esteem.
>>
>>16621598
Leave San Francisco.

My family used to live there actually. See, my father worked in construction. Back then they were trying to overhaul some condemned building for low income housing.

The problem was two fold. One, some black woman kept hopping the fence and taking a shit on the ground, even though she could have snuck into a portajohn. Secondly, the locals kept tearing down the improvements until they hired some number of them. Said hires mostly just thumbed their ass or dug a hole and filled it back up, but it made the locals cut it out.

The sooner you realize privilege is more that your community just doesn't sabotage itself, the better. Granted this was in the 80's, but I doubt the dynamic has changed all that much.
>>
The modern day PC police and SJWs are actually bigots.

You have nothing to feel sorry for, just stop thinking about it so much.

This is coming from a poor black 20 year old working on a GED because his mother fucked him over throughout high school.

I don't care that you have more wealth. I may care that I don't have as much as others, but that's because I have a level I hope to reach.

You shouldn't take privilege shaming to heart. It's bigoted sjw propaganda trying to reverse discrimination by discriminating the old discriminators.

You didn't enslave my race, you don't sympathize with or support the KKK or Neo Nazis, and above all else, you likely have a relatively neutral opinion about blacks! That's cool! I'd have your back and advocate that you don't and can't exhibit bigotry based on your birthright and genetics.

Know what is bigoted based on those things? Token exhibitionism, flaunting the differently colored or gendered person at the forefront JUST so people can see that the collective is integrated and thus politically correct.

The omission of non-linear anti-racist propaganda (eg: Two Muslims in Liverpool tortured, killed, and burned a white kid because they lost a bar fight. But at the headlines, a bar brawl between a white male and a black male is being labeled as a hate crime perpetrated by the white male.) (eg: history books never mention how Africans turned on their own people and began to sell their kind to slave traders for the bartering goods.) is also bigotry used in attempt to combat bigotry.

OP, the world is a huge fucking baby, and we'll never grow up until we learn how to not give a shit.

I will not flinch if you called me a nigger. It's a word denoting my race. Its connotation is bad because we allow it to be.

Let's all just give a bit less of a shit..
>>
>>16621634
>You didn't enslave my race
Some of my family was directly involved in the slave trade, primarily sailors.

What do I win
>>
Browse /pol/ for a while. Reminder /pol/ is always right, always.

>privileged

Bullshit. I'm white. No one ever handed me a check for it. If I didn't scrape and claw to get my shit together, I'd be like the rest of my family, shitting out a kid at 17 and hooked on drugs. White privilege... Bull fucking shit.

Class privilege? Maybe, insofar as if they get in shit their rich mommies will bail them out. But I know plenty of middle class failures and plenty of lower class successes. That said, class privilege is the most feasible of any "privilege."

Yeah, the boer farmers in SA, the russian and east european sex slaves, the bitterly poor appalachian coal miners, some guy born in bumfuck nebraska on a corn farm, they all are real damn privileged.

You should never have to apologize for something beyond your control. You can't help being born white middle class. Why live your life bowing your head for it? Live as well as you can attain and shoot for greatness. You did nothing wrong and are not at fault for sins of your father.

Also the entire concept of white privilege is racist as fuck. They are implying there are no wealthy and prosperous non-whites. Like bitch let me tell you about South Korea and the UAE.
>>
>>16621638
My respect.
>>
>>16621634

You're pretty alright.

>>16621613

That's completely disgusting. Reminds me of the story of that rich guy who donated 5 million buckaroos to build an irrigation system in Africa so they could get a farm going. As soon as he left, the African people tore it apart and sold it for scrap. Now they still can't farm and are still starving.

>>16621598

Relax, you can unlearn all that shit through self-education on the facts of reality. I grew up being told all my life that bread and grain is good for you, muh 6-11 servings a day, and now I'm on the proper no-bread diet like a good /fit/izen. Take your fate in your own hands and be responsible for yourself, rather than whining and blaming your upbringing like a child. be a man.
>>
>>16621598
Those same liberals told you that, I'm guessing?
>>
>>16621592
>Pointing out privilege doesn't mean accusing someone of being a bad person.
Then why do all the proposed solutions involve punishing people who have dobe nothing wrong?

>Recognize your privilege, and put it to good use.
A phrase which invariably means "submit". No. I am all for equality, but counter-privilege is not the answer: you cannot balance injustice with more injustice.
>>
>>16621613
Ever since I moved from nyc to Austin I've stopped believing in the privilege meme completely, but the feelings still haunt me.
>>
>>16621552
>How do I get over feeling guilty for being privileged?
Literal privilege: Use it, go and do great things.
Tumblr privilege: Realize they're talking about one or two percent advantages, shit that's drowned out entirely by individual differences. Statistics have meaning for groups, trying to apply them to individuals is just humblebragging garbage.
>>
>>16621552
Realize that the neo-feminist social justice that is the primary instigator of this rhetoric is not pro-equality, pro-minority or pro-woma, it is anti-white, anti-male and anti-Western. Seriously, all the stuff they do that doesn't seem to make any sense to you can be easily explained this way. This realization is the first step to truly liberating your mind of the indoctrination that you seem to be suffering.
>>
>>16621552
make the most of your privilege. and help others who aren't.
>>
>>16621552
Your privilege didn't just fall from the sky like liberals believe. Your privilege has been cultivated by your parents and past generations. They've cultivated your family tree to help it grow larger, and you need to do the same.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.