[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I risk going to a university and getting in debt for $30,000
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: work.png (189 KB, 411x421) Image search: [Google]
work.png
189 KB, 411x421
Should I risk going to a university and getting in debt for $30,000 of debt. Or go to a Community College and not get the real college experience. I don't get financial aid, but don't want to be left out of a true college experience what should I do. I would be interested in hearing any experiences.
>>
>>16620430
>risk
What's there to risk? It's not like getting an education is like winning the lottery or anything
>>
>I don't get financial aid
???
>>
>>16620458
The risk is being in debt $30,000 that's money I'll have to pay back. That in and of its own is a risk.
>>
I cant tell you what to do, but I am currently a freshman at a small school in Kenosha.

All the same thing were going through my head when I was in the summer going to college. I was about to go into 40000 dollars in debt. I started frantically getting classes set up for community college because i was scared shitless of money. After being convinced by people to go, I went.

I have to say, after one semester, I am so happy with the choice I made. These truely are going to be some of the greatest years of your life if you truely seek out friends and oppourtunities. Will life be tough after college? Yes. Was it worth it, even after my one semester? Yes.

But also, in my situation, I come from a poor dysfunctional family who has no money to provide and its depressing to be home in a house that we almost get kicked out of every month. Its all about the situation I suppose.

All in All, I loved the fact I'm going to be struggling, because in the end, it was worth it.
>>
What the fuck is a true college experience? What are you looking for? Random sex?

If you're too dumb to score financial aid, don't bother with college.
>>
>>16620676
>What the fuck is a true college experience?
What the movies tell you college is like.
>>
I had a long response written out but I'll say this instead:

Go to community college to save money, you might as well if you don't have AP credits or whatever. A year really isn't that bad. But it does lack socially compared to proper colleges, and you won't find as many motivated people.
>>
>>16620430
Do the thing that gets you the most money on the long run.

I don't much about USA's education system, so I don't know if community colleges are good enough but I can tell that this "true college experience" you speak is pretty much dumb people acting dumb around you, 30.000$ is too expensive for that shit.
>>
>>16621422
>but I can tell that this "true college experience" you speak is pretty much dumb people acting dumb around you
Wrong. The "true college experience" is an elusive ideal. The ideal university is when all conversations with other students are inclusive, exciting, and relevant to modern society. Peers share in their problems and successes of the course they are taking. News from the popular media is highly criticized, in terms of belief systems or advances in scientific fields. The students at an ideal university, in other words, will teach you even more than the teachers do.
>>
Meh, I enjoyed college but I am glad that i T is almost over. Join the army and then go to college
>>
>>16620695
OP, you want to run a debt for $30,000 to play beer pong and have make out sessions and play pranks through fraternities or to actually make yourself worthwhile to society?

Go to the library and self-study. Attend open seminars and lectures. Watch lectures on youtube/vimeo etc. Read scholarly journals and articles.
And/or go to community college.
>>
If you get a degree that is worth a damn the "true college experience" will be studying for 80 hours a week while trying not to melt down.

Get your basics at community college, then decide if you want to continue.
>>
>>16621714

This.

There's no such thing as the universal "College Experience." It's a fucking lie that people cook up to try and justify having you spend a million bajillion dollars on what's honestly a glorified extended adolescence. In reality, when most people start talking about the "College Experience," it indicates the fact that they didn't have a lot of freedom growing up and now don't have a lot of responsibility so they can live the childhood they saw on the movies (up through their early 20s - what's wrong with that picture?).

I know it sucks and it's not what you wanted to hear, but going to the community college is the smart move. Transfer into an accredited university after like two years so you can get a job.

The "College Experience" for most responsible people is working a job part time and studying a lot. You can still have friends and go to parties, but when you get to a certain maturity level, you begin to see how stupid it is drinking beer with a bunch of strangers who are excited to be fulfilling a role they think they're supposed to.
>>
Gaze into the mirror ball, OP. This will be your college experience:

>Orientation Day. I'm so stoked
>Find a couple of bros to hit the pub. See qt3.14s sitting the next table over. College is awesome.
>First day of class was a breeze. There sure are a lot of asians here
>Assignments are already handed out in the first week and due the next- what the fuck?
>I have a week so I'll 4chan a bit
>x hours later
>Where did my time go???
>Work starts piling up
>Sleep late so miss a couple of morning classes
>Term paper is due the next two week
>"How do I write my paper, /adv/?"
>>
>>16622111

Honestly I thought college was really easy. Granted you had to read a lot, but most of my friends and I read a lot anyway so it wasn't a big deal.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.