[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My parents got divorced when I was about 8. Since then, my father
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1445287257061.jpg (1 MB, 4558x4542) Image search: [Google]
1445287257061.jpg
1 MB, 4558x4542
My parents got divorced when I was about 8. Since then, my father got a new wife and got a new home and kids. My mother though, which I spent the last nine years with before heading off to college, never got around to a new relationship. Those nine years, I have always celebrated New Year's Eve with her. I'd spend the evening with her until about 0:30, and then I would go to friends and she would go to bed.

However, I went to college in a different region of the Netherlands, and it is about four hours away by train. I already have made plans with friends, but they all live where I go to college. Meaning I either can't spend time with my friends or I can't spent time with my mother.

She's a single parent, and does not really have any friends. I just can't cope with the thought that she will be alone with NYE if I don't spend the evening with her. But if I would do that I won't be able to spend time with my friends which I really want to.

I hate to tell her that I am going to spend NYE with friends this year as it sounds like I love my friends more than her. How do I deel with this? I think I won't be able to enjoy the party guilt-free for leaving my mother alone on NYE.

Am I overreacting?
>>
>>16619973
No, man. Spend time with your mother, it is a privilege to have such a kind mom. My mom is not nice to me, or the rest of my true family, (my dads side). She is consistently rude to me and never truly means what she says.

Cherish the fact that you have a very kind, gracious mother that you like spending time with and make sure that you spend every moment you can spare with her.
This is easily the best advice I've ever given.
>>
>>16619973

spend it with your mom. you see your friends most of the time anyway, and there will be dozens of parties to go to throughout the year. your mom just wants the holidays.
>>
>>16619973
Let her begin her life by giving her some space.
>>
>>16619987
This is a good advice.
And also, spending NYE with your mother and being guilty-free is a great feeling. You will not regret it.
>>
>>16620004

this. besides new years parties at college are loud noisy BS. thats no different from ANY party.

you should instead just go spend it with your mom to reflect not only on the year but your life. thats sorta the point of new years. not to have another drunken party.
>>
Alright, thanks guys for the comments. I appreciate it.
>>
Don't lose hope in /adv yet anon!
Great NYE!
>>
Spend it with your friends, It's a little selfish for your mom to expect you to be home on new years eve, so its pretty unlikely that she'll expect that, just visit her when you can.
>>
OK all of these previous poster must not have divorced parents.

The exact same thing happened to my mom she is roughly 55. She at least has friends but yeah.

Ask her! "Hey mom, my friends all want to party in town x, is it OK if this year I go out with them?". She should understand and I'd you tell her early enough she will be able to find other plans.

What is your mom going to do when you end staying in town x?

I'm currently 12 hours away from my parents. I'm home for at max 1 week at Xmas and maybe 1 weekend a summer. My mom understands that my life in a different city.
>>
Op stap in Groningen is toch vet kut jonge. Get a Life
>>
File: 1438442209305.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1438442209305.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>16619973
>>16619973
> My mother though, which I spent the last nine years with before heading off to college, never got around to a new relationship.
>>
>>16619973
You're leaving it a bit late to tell her, aren't you?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.