[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /adv/ I'm a bit confused about my emotional state.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Janeway_Season7.jpg (21 KB, 271x331) Image search: [Google]
Janeway_Season7.jpg
21 KB, 271x331
Sup /adv/ I'm a bit confused about my emotional state.

I'm not really an emotional person, and it's been a pretty steady decline in expression throughout my teenage years and now into my 20s. It's at the point where I have to fake emotion to keep people engaged in conversation and what have you, but it's becoming increasingly rare where I actually feel that emotion.

I can however, trigger emotion using a set of mental gymnastics. It usually requires some visualization (visual and auditory) for me to feel those emotions. I don't think the frequency of emotions, or the range at which they're felt, is particularly different. In general my emotional state is muted. Not to the point of perfect apathy, but muted, quite equally.

I've had points in my life where I've felt less and been more apathetic but it's been a shorter period, and times where I've felt a limited number of emotions (such as anger), but this is new to me.

What's the diagnosis /adv/?
>>
Can you give an example of a situation where you feel like you lack emotions?
>>
>>16617469
Err, I guess? I skipped Christmas dinner this year with my family to sleep instead; I should probably have felt bad or something, but just nothing really. I play a lot of sports and I'm completely indifferent to winning and losing, as long as the game challenges me. I'm not really fussed about the status of my university work as long as it passes.. I dunno what else to put here. I'm trying to think of things I should probably care about enough to feel something for.
>>
>>16617456

I'm kinda like you, i just don't give a fuck, i'm indifferent to almost everything and everyone, but i'm still able to have a healthy social life and do normal stuff(bar, parties, family reunions), the thing is, you don't need to change yourself, just adapt to situations when is needed, i've never complained about lacking emotions cause at the end of the day, i'm happy with my life.
>>
It seems to be fairly common.

Wouldn't give it another thought unless it's something you'd like to change, in which case hit up a therapist.
>>
>>16617576
>>16617581
It seems weird that I can trigger this emotions manually, but they aren't getting triggered by events.

Things seem kind of boring without emotion.
>>
I have the very same problem as OP, i even created a thread about this last week, but got no useful replies. Jokes, for example. I find them ''humorous'' (as in, i notice it's a joke), but i don't laugh at them instantly. I have to tell myself ''You should laugh here.'' to actually laugh. Whenever i'm not in manual mode, people notice i barely express emotions. People only know two faces of my; either the ''serious''/stoic face or an awkward, pretend smile. What is the diagnosis? I don' tknow about OP, but i'm sociable and i find no difficulty interacting with people, however.
>>
>>16617623
Most likely you've just deattatched a little. Might be depression, might be a defense from something traumatic or a repeated series of bs. Might just be getting older, or getting used to routine.

I've met a plethora of people asking me if this ability makes them some kind of sociopath, so I think it's more common than you'd imagine. Who knows.
>>
>>16617634
So this is normal? Why do the people I meet seem to be so full of pride, or lustful, or pleasure seeking? It seems like I'm on the outside of something.
>>
>>16617649
I think the issue is that you're thinking of this as if there's only one cookie cutter shape for 'normal' to be.

It's common. Doesn't mean everyone experiences it, just that many people do. If you aren't satisfied with it you should consider seeing a therapist, trying new things, broadening your experiences.
>>
>>16617456
Blunted affect like this is pretty typical of schizophrenia unfortunately. The time of onset is also consistent with schizophrenia. It could also be depression or something similar though, but even if the possibility of it being schizophrenia is remote, I'd see a psychiatrist because early treatment is key. Even if it's something else you should still get professional help.
>>
>>16617705
>>16617678
Well now that's awkward. Those are quite opposite statements.

Anyway, I lack the delusions, hallucinations, and disorganization associated with schizophrenia. I'm doubtful that would fit.

In a way it's kind of a relief; I can kinda stop lying to myself that things are going to get more interesting. Does make me wonder what I'm supposed to do now, I don't really think I care for who knows how many more years of this boring lifestyle.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.