[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some advice. here's my current situation >in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1447402240164.jpg (29 KB, 540x465) Image search: [Google]
1447402240164.jpg
29 KB, 540x465
I need some advice. here's my current situation

>in first year of college, getting good grades, first year
>absolutely hate it. destroying me, stressing me out, cry at the thought of it, think about suicide often
>prone to depression since I was young
>have a successful bf with upper class parents, would be expected I finish school
>my parents also want to me to finish school, but are the kind of parents that would let me live with them no matter what as long as I wasn't doing absolutely nothing
>good worker. bosses like me. am able to easily get a job
>currently employed in retail wageslave job
>Ideally want to live a simple life, away from big cities, cheap

I know I'd have to leave my bf if I dropped out of school or risk him resenting me for being a "loser", but I honestly feel like school is sucking the soul out of me. I have tons of hobbies and interests and I'm unable to do any of them because I'm always so exhausted, mentally and therefore physically. A few of my interests could end up pulling in money, and if they didn't I could always go back to school later in life. I'm not worried about ever being homeless or anything like that. I think my parents just want to see me happy.

What should I do with my life? Keep going to school and slowly kill myself? disappoint my parents and lose my bf for the chance of happiness? I really like him and I'd lose some friends I really like. Is there some middle ground? I honestly feel like I'm going to end up killing myself or absolutely destroy my GPA which is sitting at a 4.0 after my first semester. Worth noting, I am not taking difficult classes by any means.

Will it just get better eventually?
>>
>>16616756
>GPA which is sitting at a 4.0 after my first semester. Worth noting, I am not taking difficult classes by any means.

>female
>4.0

literally wasting your time

your pussy allows you to marry into money
>>
>>16616756
think of your future, you will be young once, so what you do in these years will be very important

personally I just fucked up my life and destroyed an 8 year relationship entirely. will have to be rebuilding my entire life from scratch, and im already 26. and this happened because I didnt think of my future, I kept living one day at a time and procrastinating in a sickening way

if your boyfriend doesnt understand your decision, whatever it ends up being, then it wasnt a relationship worth worrying about anyway
>>
Drop your job, get worse grades, finish college.
But that's assuming your degree is actually useful, if you're studying some useless crap with no job prospects may as well ditch school.
>>
>>16616758
Can't bank on that. Need a back up just in case I get cheated on or whatever.

>>16616765
As it stands now, I feel like I won't even have a future if I keep doing this. But I am on the path for my future, I guess.

>>16616811
I only work one day a week, on a day I don't have classes.

I'm on track for being an accountant. I'm a perfectionist and everyone expects me to do really well in school including myself. It'd be a huge blow to my already low self esteem if my grades fell.

My bf is also older, almost graduated, and is on track for med school, so I have that to compare myself to.
>>
>>16616832
Low grades > Breakdown/dropping out

You're free to make whichever compromise you want, grades are completely irrelevant after you get a job or two in the field.
>>
>>16616832
first of all relax. you will achieve great success if you stay focused and keep your momentum going. but trust me, you dont have to be perfect, and your grades are meaningless once you get your degree.

the best advice i ever got on my college dissertation, and i had gotten earlier my life would be 100 times better right now is:

"An excellent, good, or decent dissertation all get you the same degree." This is true for your grades in general. Employers do not care about grades, they care about degrees, and your personality, work ethic, etc.
>>
>>16616849
>>16616863
thing is, I dropped out of high school, so I'm in a crappy school so I can transfer to a better one. At least if I drop out my gpa is unaffected if I decide to go back when I'm more together.

Also everyone think that I'm "smart", and I'll probably lose the respect of friends and family if I proven I'm anything but.
>>
>>16616832
>I'm a perfectionist
There's your problem. Your entire and only problem. It's a painful thing to work through, but it can and must be done. This is coming from a "former" perfectionist.

>>16616832
>It'd be a huge blow to my already low self esteem if my grades fell.
Here's the issue: you will fail eventually. Sure, you might get through school with a 4.0. Maybe you'll land a great job. Maybe you'll blow everything out of the water and all your coworkers and managers will love you. But some day you're going to screw up. Or not work fast enough. Or forget something. Or be blamed for something you either didn't do or had no control over. It'll happen eventually, and if you don't learn how to deal with it now, it will only be worse later.

As other people have said: don't drop out, just get through your bachelor's. You really do need a degree to get anywhere, so be sure to finish a degree. Any degree if need be. If you really hate your degree/classes, consider going for a different degree. Try to go for something somewhat useful, but, again, any degree is better than none.

If simply being in school stresses you out so much (believe me, this I understand), consider doing internships between school semesters. Internships last anywhere from one semester to one year (usually), so you could do internships every other semester or just do one year in school followed by a year long internship. Every internship and school have their own rules, but some work between school semesters might give you the break from school you need. While you would be graduating 'late' due to this setup, upon graduation you would be going for a mid-career job instead of entry level, so take that into consideration.

Overall, if you are feeling this distressed about school, you need to do something to alleviate that. Try to figure out what the root problem is, and either eliminate or minimize it.
>>
>>16616926
This tbqhf
>>
>>16616926
the thing is, I don't even spend a lot of time. Most of my time is spent dreading and procrastinating. all papers were done the day before. all studying the night before. I didn't even keep up with text book reading. The pressure is just so much.

and I know what you're saying. I've faced a few failures and I can deal with it, but I always try my best.

I actually like my classes so far. I'm just so stressed out.

I don't mind graduating late at all. That might be something good to consider about the internships... I'll look into that.

I know I have a lot of deeper issues. I just feel like life is so meaningless at its core. It's existential, I guess. It wouldn't be so bad if I was at least enjoying my life, but for as long as I can remember it's been very bleak. I don't know how to fix that. That's why I want to drop out. To try to enjoy my insignificant life.
>>
>>16616832
>I'm on track for being an accountant.
Unless you want to go for your CPA (and I can tell you probably don't), then getting an associate's accounting degree will serve you just fine rather than pursuing a bachelor's accounting degree. You are going to college, but completing it faster at a more manageable degree of time management/interest.
>>
>>16616970
Just an associates? nothing afterwards? Honestly I'm so frazzled I've forgotten what my end goal is but I think it's something like a degree and then 2-3 years afterwards? To get some sort of certification.
>>
Girl *Snap and Snap fingas*
Reality Check!!!
Da schools and universities just wantch your money. Period. Now with that said.
Relax, girl and party!
But party smart, rock hard and party smarter!!!!!
Woot!Woot!Woot!
>>
>>16616959
>Most of my time is spent dreading and procrastinating.

Oh, God, that was me all through school. The only thing that helped me was to do the assignments the day they were assigned. No joke. Unless it was a group project or a long-ass research paper, I'd just do the damn assignment the day it was assigned and turn it in the next class. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds. I mean, you're already doing stuff in one day anyway, this way just makes it less stressful.

As for studying, I would go over all notes from class the same day (or the next day if there was too much) and re-write or summarize them. I'd still do the last minute studying thing as well, but it seemed more like I was just reminding myself of stuff rather than learning it.

As for the internship thing, some schools have a program for that. I went to GaTech and we had something called the co-op program, so see if your school does something similar. It might make the planning easier for you.

>I know I have a lot of deeper issues. I just feel like life is so meaningless at its core. It's existential, I guess.

Most people go through that. I went through that phase a year into my first job (and it was a nice, highly paid job). I ended up quitting and being a NEET for a year because life felt so meaningless. And then I found something I enjoyed doing so much that I didn't care if life was meaningless. You realize eventually that it is you that gives meaning to things, so stop trying to find meaning and just ascribe it however you want so you can enjoy life.

>That's why I want to drop out. To try to enjoy my insignificant life.

Whatever you do, make sure your actions are geared towards living your life and not just crawling into a hole. I understand exactly what that feels like, but you won't feel any better once you crawl into that hole, and it'll be hard to crawl back out.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.