[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/adv/ you guys have not steered me wrong before. So here's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Amber Rose2.jpg (106 KB, 850x1275) Image search: [Google]
Amber Rose2.jpg
106 KB, 850x1275
/adv/ you guys have not steered me wrong before. So here's my current dilemma:

> I'm 29 male
> Single
> Living at my father's house outside Atlanta
> I've had some shitty career luck the last 2 years, but last month I finally stumbled onto a job that I think will make me $50k this year or better.

I moved in with my dad last year when my job got really shitty and the girl I was living with got addicted to pills. It was a whole crazy debacle.. So right now I pay my dad $500 every month as rent, and it's pretty cool overall. But my only issue is: dating and social life, it's pretty lame living with a parent (especially at my age). It's hella awkard when I have company or a date.

I really think I have to move soon if Im gonna live a normal life. Here are my options:

A) keep living with my dad. I can trust him, rent is cheap and haters be damned.
B) Move in with a friend of mine from college. He wants to get a house together. Everything is cool, but my monthly housing costs would go up to like $800 a month and thats a lot.
C) Go on Craigslist and find someone renting out a room. It could be a normal person or a psychopath. And really it would be the same as now, except not the dad shame. the rate would be like $650 a month.

I'm really torn guys. Mainly I think the problem is I feel ashamed bringing girls back to my "dads" house. Thoughts? Criticism?
>>
>>16616253
>A) keep living with my dad. I can trust him, rent is cheap and haters be damned.

I'd choose that option. You seem to have a supportive and loving dad. The right people/girls won't care you live at home.
>>
>>16616262

You really think so?

I just assumed that most women would run the fuck away when I tell them I live with my dad.
>>
Jesus grow the fuck up and leave already.
The sustain is really embarrassing, for you and for your father.
>>
Depends what your goals are. If you are trying to stack money, stay with your dad. If you are concerned with pulling more women, get a place with your buddy. If you choose the second option, maybe you could get an additional roommate, spread the cost further, and balance both goals?
>>
>>16616270
I lived at home for a while when I was around 32-33, managed to have a gf and friends. They didn't really care.

What means more to you?

What others think or what you want to do?

Many women probably do care, I see it as shallow.

I can say option C should be off the table.
>>
>>16616253
I think it's more depressing you use words like hella.
>>
>>16616262
I'd go with A also until you're really on your feet and have a good amount saved up along with job security then think about moving out.

I'm in the same boat as you actually. Just turned 29. I've been at my mom's house for almost three years now. Finally found a good job two years ago and started saving money. I was actually about to get a house earlier this year but things aren't going so well in the industry I'm in so I'm kind of back to square one unless things get better in the field.

The last girl I dated didn't have a problem with my living situation. All that mattered was I had my shit together aside from my own place of course. Once you get to our age I think people care less about the so called independence that comes with having your own place. It was more a big deal in your early twenties. As you get older people are more understanding to your situation and frankly care less about if you live on your own, but I think the window does close at a certain age. I don't know mid 30's? So plan to get out soon though.
>>
Save up enough to live off of for six months and then move out. You can afford 800 a month and if it's not as nice as you expected it seems like your dad is cool and supportive and I'll bet he'll welcome you back.

50k per year is about 4k per month, $800 is 20% of that which is very sustainable (1/3rd of income as rent is about as high as you'd want to go). Make sure you're not blowing your money on anime figurines or cars or any other bullshit and you can easily afford this.

Go live life.
>>
Thanks guys.

I'm doing everything I can to make money and leave.

I appreciate it.
>>
I don't think living with parents is such a big deal nowadays.
>>
>>16616625
>>16616253

the CORRECT answer is that it depends entirely on what you're TRYING to date.

if you're looking for long term life partner, then it can actually help you weed out the useless fucks who are just looking to tap a brother out and move on. Someone worthwhile either a: wont care if you're cool enough to make up the diff, b: cares enough to listen how you got there and understands.

especially considering rent prices in ATL and the north arc just went up $300/mo on average for under 1000 sq foot this year,

however.

if you're 29 and still kicking around tricks, or boozing it up with friends who would really give you shit about this, and that really upset your style, then you may have to eat it and get the fuck out.

pick your poison.

either way, save up an emergency fund before you decide dipshit. no sense in trying to make something happen overnite.
>>
>>16616253
Definitely option A until you have a decent amount saved up to either make a sizable down payment on a house or 6 months worth of living expenses, depending one what your future plans are. In the meantime, keep paying your dad rent, offer to help around the house, check with your dad before you have people over and generally make yourself useful. In those circumstances, any woman turned off is probably not worth it anyway.
However, option B is also pretty decent if you can trust the guy. $800 a month including utilities is actually pretty cheap for the ATL. Option C is just NO.

Just work out a budget, make sure you are saving as much as you can, talk to your dad about your mutual finances(is he ok without your rent money?) and consider your plans, especially where you plan on staying long term. If you expect to be in a place more than 8 years, I'd strongly recommend buying. If you would like to move around more, just keep an emergency fund built up and rent.
>>
File: Still Lives with Mom.jpg (139 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Still Lives with Mom.jpg
139 KB, 540x540
>>16616270
>I just assumed that most women would run the fuck away when I tell them I live with my dad.

pic related
>>
>>16616253
i can relate op but i am quite a bit younger then you. i am 21 and stilling living with my parents. most women attracted to me are in a similar situation so it doesn't evoke shame. however i can't bring girls back to me or casually invite them over.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.