[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Credit Card
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 485x303
Hi! 21 year old female student here. I'm applying for a credit card and would like some general advice from anyone who has had one or knows anything about them? Also I have what feels like a really dumb question to ask- If it says 55 days interest free on purchases does it mean 55days from the day it's activated or 55days interest free for each transaction? Thanks!
>>
>>16615478
You bank is probably your best bet for getting your first credit card. If you've had an account there for a while, they're likely to approve you even when others wont, assuming you don't have any credit built up yet.

I'm pretty sure the 55 days means 55 days after the payment is due. My card is on autopay, so I never pay interest because I just always pay it off whenever I use it.

As a side note, a credit card should be thought of in just the same way as a debit card. If you don't have the money in your bank account to buy it, don't fucking buy it. I've seen so many friends get deep into debt because they think credit card means "Buy now, pay when I'm old and have more money."
>>
>>16615492
>As a side note, a credit card should be thought of in just the same way as a debit card. If you don't have the money in your bank account to buy it, don't fucking buy it.
This, but in addition to this, don't use your card to buy things like gas/groceries/etc because if you do so you'll be paying a lot more on those things because of interest. Use your credit card for a big purchase and then don't use it for a while. For example: say you've moved into your first part and would like to buy yourself a nice bed of good construction.. or maybe something like a computer or a new TV. Buy yourself something nice and lasting with your card, and stop using your card while you pay it off over time. That's a great way for beginners to build credit.
>>
>>16615530
>don't use your card to buy things like gas/groceries/etc
Additionally, it's easier to lose track of how much you're spending when you're using it for small stuff. Definitely stick to only using it for bigger purchases
>>
- Never get a card with an annual fee. Don't pay for pleasure of letting them make money. How do they make money? By skimming a few percent off each transaction they process. The merchants are the ones footing the bill. Any fees you pay are just extra money for no reason. The banks don't need your help like that.
- Speaking of fees, that includes late fees and interest. Don't pay them! It's not required. It has no impact on your credit rating. I'm going to repeat: paying interest has no impact on your credit rating. Zero. You avoid interest by paying your balance in full when the statement comes in the mail.
- Because you want to establish good habits regarding interest, ignore that 55 day crap. It doesn't matter. You're going to pay every month in full.
- What builds credit is: having a credit line (your credit limit), utilizing it (charging stuff to your card) and paying at least the minimum balance on time. But you're going to pay the full balance, right? Right. Always.
- Regarding credit limit: take what you can get. If it's tiny, call them in six months and ask them to raise it. Don't go opening more cards yet. One card is enough to build.
- Regarding utilization: carrying more than 30% of your limit as a balance is inefficient. Aim for 20% per month so that you have room to spare for emergencies. ONLY CHARGE WHAT YOU WOULD NORMALLY BUY. Gas, groceries, etc. We wait for the end of the month to pay because the credit bureaus only receive periodic snapshots of your credit. If you pay before the snapshot, it looks like you have 0% utilization. This is useless.
- Don't pay fees. Don't pay interest. Remit the full balance when the statement comes in every month. Don't accrue debt.
>>
>>16615530
>paying a lot more on those things because of interest.
Hey look it's someone who never used a credit card before.

You don't pay interest on the balance accrued during the statement period. You're wrong about the most basic foundation on credit card use. Good job.
>>
>21 year old female
Why bother giving advice, you're just going to spend it on makeup and shoes.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.