[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one talk to random strangers? Just to get this off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
How does one talk to random strangers?

Just to get this off the table; I consider myself more or less confident and I have no real problem connecting to people at work, college, sports or partys.

Now I started to use the train on a weekly basis and more often than not there is some person I am dying to talk to.
We are talking 2hour rides here.
Some persons I see again some I do not.
Seems such a waste to be bored and stare out of the window when I could spend the time with nice people.
>>
>>16613952
Is it normal for strangers to talk to each other in your country?
If not, then don't bother. They'll probably assume you're drunk or special.
>>
"Good evening. How are you doing?"
"Nice day we're having :)"
"Is that <insert book/movie/whatever you have in common>?"

Not that hard. A nice smile and a friendly tone goes a long way.

Source: A formerly socially anxious kid who trained himself to be socially by going to restaurants after work, sitting at the bar with a meal and a drink, and forcing himself to start conversations with the complete and total strangers around him.
>>
>>16613965
I am from Germany.
You have to be polite.
You do not intrude.
There are more exceptions than rules tho...

Anyway how would I proceed if I do not give two shits?
>>
>>16614025
Well when I was on a train in Germany I got talking to some guys from Hamburg, but that was because they were drinking vodka on the way to Prague for a stag weekend.

So maybe you should just get drunk on the train. Just a little.
>>
>>16614025

heres some little advices
>dont wear headphones

having on headphones or even ebing on your phone or other personal entertainment device, then suddenly deciding to initiate conversation with someone can come off like you're scoping them out for whatever reason. even if you are, you dont wnat to give that kinda impression.

but if you are sitting there without anything to entertain yourself, they just think you are bored and friendly. so keep your phone in your pocket.

next, try to find something to actually talk about. they might have a book, button, badge, T shirt, or something noticable on their screen. for long train rides you more likely to find people watching shows and reading books. maybe if their music is loud you might recognize the song. so ask. even if you know nothing about it, just keep asking questions til you find a way to insert something more conversational.

if you've seen them before but havent talked to them, bring that up. just be like
>hey, hows it going? where you headaed? im going to (school/work/family). freaking commutes, you know?

etc.

when in doubt just make a comment about the weather or the view and see hwo picks up
>>
>>16614057
sounds good, anon.

Just some extra questions:
1) is there like a time limit on initiating conversation?
usually I will have something to read, to write or just need some time to bring myself to act.

2) Not the original topic mind you but did anybody ever pick up girls on public transport?
It seems so easy and impossible at the same time.

3) I read a lot on trains but would not mind being interrupted. Should I keep it up or refrain from it?
>>
>>16614225

>time limit

no, but

>i like to read

if you are doing on activity then go on to talk to someone it can seem weird, like why are you talking to me if you got a book? comes off immediately as intentioned and predatorial.,

>can you pick up girls

i have, and it depends but try not going with the intention to pick up. i always find its easeir to when ur not actually trying
>>
>>16614259
>comes off immediately as intentioned and predatorial.,

yeah well it is intentional.
no need to be shady about prefering people over books, right?
>>
allright
bump to be on the safe side
>>
>>16613952
Usually people will give you a signal that they want to talk.

Make sure they want to talk before you go invading their privacy
>>
>>16613952
By being completely frank about your intentions.
One of the biggest things that happens is that you try to casually talk to the person and they constantly question your intentions. Like what the fuck do you want. If you go and say you want someone to talk to and that they seemed like a good candidate then youre going to get an honest response.
If its people you see all the time just go over and introduce yourself. Once your eyes meet they are part of your life so just accept it and go meet them. They feel the same way.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.