[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aspiring actor, is it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
> Be me. 19, Semi-Chad in College.
> Living in Toronto, Canada
> Grown up playing sports to gain the respect of my father
> Unsatisfied with my current life. Really want to pursue my passion

Acting.

> Mom thinks I should follow my dreams despite not having any experience in the field.

>Dad calls me a faggot and says to get a real job in the trades or in health care.

What do? Do I continue in college and become another drone in society with a respectable pay and average life? Or do I give this thing a shot. Any advice or experience with this type of situation would be greatly appreciated.

Help me, your my only hope.
>>
>Do I continue in college and become another drone in society
sounds like you already made your decision
>>
You either have a choice of following what you want and it leading to success or failure and moving on, or not even trying and living the rest of your life unfulfilled. You know what you want to do.

Just know that the reason people are successful is because they work harder than everyone else. We always see the surface of success but we never see the grind. Just know that if you want to succeed in such a competitive field that it will take a lot of determination and strife.
>>
>>16612858

It's hard. You always here of success stories of troubled people becoming multi millionaire stars. But most do work at it. Im confident in my ability to work hard and persevere, but I think living near Toronto is going to limit my exposure. I just hope I have the tools I need to succeed and I dont disappoint my family along the way.

I needed an opinion and I got one. Thank you. I needed to hear that.
>>
>>16612826
Take both of their advice.
Spend the next couple of years learnig a trade you like - could be welding, or massaging the elderly or whatever.
Then, as you work in your trade field, go for acting on the side. Shit, if you have a camera and a tripod, you can practice acting at home in your spare time. Dubbing and voicing over movies is a good way to start.
Acting isn't likely to pay you much of anything until you've rubbed shoulders and paid agents, so it's best to have income cash on the side. You're 19, you can be an accomplished healthcare professional by 23, and an actor playing a 19 year old by the time you’re 27. Or even faster, depending on your drive....
>>
Listen to your farther, it is very hard and unlikely you will get a proper chance if you do acting. Just don't do acting, for every one successful actor the is over 100,000 unsuccessful actors.
>>
Acting is something best done as a hobby between work and free time.

I was an extra for 2 months in the upcoming Mel Gibson war film Hacksaw Ridge (Yes I have screentime). It's not full time work, not even for the supporting cast, who have other jobs also.
>>
>>16612858
>Just know that the reason people are successful is because they work harder than everyone else
This isn't always true, especially with acting. If you live in Hollywood or LA, have a family member in the field or friends in the field you're much more likely to stand a chance
>>
>>16612826
Do you have a cool voice? If so you could make a decent voice actor.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.