[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I don't know if this is the right place to ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_moi8mvzUUh1qjqxmoo1_1280.jpg (681 KB, 1000x1407) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_moi8mvzUUh1qjqxmoo1_1280.jpg
681 KB, 1000x1407
Hey /adv/

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I need someone to keep it real with me. I've been having trouble with studying, I've had a terrible studying career to say the least. I'm 24 and I'm halfway my bachelor degree, I've had to retake 2 years in high school too so it's safe to say I'm an awful student. This might come as a surprise but I actually love what I'm studying now and I don't think I'm 'classically dumb' if that's a thing. After years and years of terrible grades I have gotten pretty lazy and demotivated but I've had enough willpower to force myself to study most of the time. Today it kinda hit me that maybe it was the way I'm studying, I just read and read everything until I can repeat it by heart. Needless to say this is impossible to do when you're supposed to study several books for one exam. I've been asking around for study guidance at school but I mostly hear it's pretty shitty, google turned up with loads of random things as well so I hoped some of you could point me into the right direction of a good way to study.
>>
>>16609560
former tutor here

There is no ONE way to learn anything. I hate that schools (including higher education) try to mandate a "one-size-fits-all" mentality. That's just ineffective and damaging (as you've clearly seen).

The best way to study is the way that WORKS for you.
Some people are visual. They could read for 3 hours and not understand a fucking thing, but watch ONE youtube video, and in 4 minutes it's crystal clear.

Some people are kinesthetic and need to have some sort of action or motion tied to the material. Use learning aids (molecule kits for science, for example). Make it an active process where you are doing something with your hands to put the material together.

Some people are auditory. Reading will bore them to sleep, but an audiobook while exercising or doing something else could stick in their brain a lot more efficiently.

You have to try new shit and find what makes things stick for YOU.

Memorizing chapters is dumb as fuck. I had so many academic peers that would just recite terminology verbatim and I would ask "Ok, but what does that do... what does an x create in the presence of a y?"
and they'd just stare blankly and go get the book, then re-read the same terminology verbatim.

They didn't even know what it meant!
They just knew how to repeat what was in the book.

That's fucking dumb! That's not learning anything at all.
>>
>>16609807
>The best way to study is the way that WORKS for you
I figured as much, thanks for me giving me some examples! I'll try experimenting with those different styles.

How would you go about having to learn long lists? I have to learn lots and lots of pathologies and the causes, symptoms, consequences etc and by the time I start the next chapter I've already forgotten what I've learned in the previous chapter.
>>
>>16609824
I was a science major as well.
Again, whatever works best for you.

Try mnemonics and acronyms. Those helped me massively in A&P.
but again, what worked for me may not work for you... just throwing out ideas.
>>
>>16609844
>just throwing out ideas
That's exactly what I needed so thanks a lot! I literally had no clue at at all about how to study, so your ideas are really helpful
>>
>>16609807
How to find out what suits you? try everything at least once?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.