[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decorating Bachelor Pad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: a2304900365_10.jpg (652 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2304900365_10.jpg
652 KB, 1200x1200
How can I decorate or furnish my apartment better? It's a one bedroom apartment with just me living in it. So far I'm planning on getting some posters and framing them, at least in my bedroom. But I'm not sure how I can make the living room and dining room look good.

Girls/gays, help me out. I have a pretty good budget but I don't want to spend too much.
>>
>getting some posters and framing them
oh my god no NOOOOOO

you don't have to be gay to not have reddit tier taste

first off you need to give more detail about the apartment; floorplan, square footage, maybe a pic or two
>>
File: 20151227_084037-1.jpg (3 MB, 1850x2702) Image search: [Google]
20151227_084037-1.jpg
3 MB, 1850x2702
>>16608907
What's wrong with frames?

Here's the floor plan. 600 sq feet
>>
File: 20151227_083557-1.jpg (3 MB, 2702x1851) Image search: [Google]
20151227_083557-1.jpg
3 MB, 2702x1851
>>
File: 20151227_083750-1.jpg (3 MB, 2602x1922) Image search: [Google]
20151227_083750-1.jpg
3 MB, 2602x1922
>>
nothing is wrong with frames
everything is wrong about posters

to start the most important thing in a room is furniture, I don't know how much you want to change it up from what you have, but it looks like you don't have much to begin with
where you go to find furniture depends on your style and budget

if you're going to put things on your walls it needs to display your personality, maybe things of sentimental value, or monetary
it's better to have a clean wall than to mount cheap shit on it (like a poster)
>>
>>16609013
also, past furniture, if your complex allows it, you can paint walls or place wallpaper
>>
Get a shelf. Put stuff you like on it. Fuck these fuckers. It's your house. You can buy cheap decorations on manufacturing sites like aliexpress.
>>
>>16608849
Damn it, what is OP's pic from? It looks familiar from some creepy cartoon I may have seen back in the day.
>>
File: 1448749449261.jpg (279 KB, 764x899) Image search: [Google]
1448749449261.jpg
279 KB, 764x899
It's got a good floorplan op. Do you own it or rent it? If you own it, you could paint one wall an accent colour. Also get some better lighting, it looks dark and gloomy as fuck.

That tall light by the tv is good, put it in the corner and use it, rather than the nasty ass ceiling light above the table.

The other thing is blacklights are neat as fuck in a bachelor pad. google for some ideas.
>>
>>16609013
>hurr posters are awful
It depends a lot on the poster. You realise that "poster" can also just mean large prints?

OP, you could leaf through some interior design magazines or read some blogs, (and just copy some general ideas or details that you personally like and ignore the rest, for example only pay attention to how and what sort of pictures they've on the walls, or where are the sofatables and what are they like) but essentially it's good to put stuff on the walls, get a couple of plants, and pick a colour scheme and a general aesthetic and stick with that. If your sofa is the wrong colour for that you can buy a blanket or a big piece of fabric and just throw it over the sofa, changes the look. Also consider floor-length curtains, they can be of any cheap-ass material, but they look nice.

The biggest mistake people make imo is just throwing stuff together so it's all a jumble of different colours, a cornucopia of clashing prints and patterns etc. You should think of the bigger picture - everything doesn't need to be matchy-matchy but they should be in harmony with each other, or in carefully considered discord. For example in the picture that you have - your chairs are pretty nice, kind of old-timey, decorated-looking. Do you like that look? you could start to build things around that. So one colour would at least be brown, and wood surfaces. But the placemats look awful. It'd be different already if instead of gaudy floral pattern placemats they'd be single colour, or some nicer texture like I don't know, cotton or linen. It's little details like that that all together create the atmosphere.

But yeah, get some nice prints or pictures on the walls.
>>
>>16609038
It's from an album cover. Kairon Irse - Ujubasajuba. Pretty awesome album if you like shoegaze.

Thanks for the tips so far. Where's the best place to get pictures or prints from? Also are command strips good enough to hold pictures? I can't really nail anything into the wall since I'm renting.
>>
>>16609970
I don't know, maybe allposters, society6, your local papershop or art school sale or small gallery? Try to find an illustrator you like and support them by ordering a print off them? Depends on what you like.

Or something from these listings:
http://www.creativebloq.com/career/sell-design-online-912746
http://designinstruct.com/articles/resources/20-awesome-online-shops-for-art/
etc? you know, google "graphic design prints for sale" or "illustration prints for sale", that kind of stuff. Or if you see an image you like, even if it's an illustration in a book or a magazine, maybe scan it and just print in large size.

Personally I've also
a) bought an artwork from a gallery opening, it was a friend's show and I was drunk and everyone was a student so it was pretty cheap - if your area has an art school, it's possible to get some actually nice "real" art off the students for quite cheap, if you find something you like. Graphic designers especially can do some nice prints, which are cheaper than real paintings
b) bought a pair of old (1800s) print from a used book shop (antikvariat?), they were 100€ a piece but man I love them and they give me daily joy even after years of ownership. There are tons of cheaper old prints that still look cool though.

Just look around. Most likely, if you find an online portfolio for an illustrator you like, you can just contact them and say that you want to buy a print of their work if the price is reasonable, how do you do it. Most people will be pleased and flattered and probably have an online shop of sorts they can guide you towards.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.