[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me, anti-social nerd guy >trying to change myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: IMG-20151220-WA0004.jpg (67 KB, 988x796) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151220-WA0004.jpg
67 KB, 988x796
>be me, anti-social nerd guy
>trying to change myself to be more social this vacation
>tried going to gym and learning to play guitar
>go to small class lunch outing of 8 people and they still ignore me, talks among themseleves

What do I have to do to become more social?
>>
socialize
>>
>>16608310
I went out with them, tried to talk but our conversation is short. They shift back to ignoring my existence after my attempt to get into it.
>>
>>16608321

omegle

learn how to talk to strangers first
>>
>>16608327
What do I talk about for a starter? I am an Asian and I guess it would be a little awkward.
>>
>>16608332
I usually started with

"Hello I have a huge penis."

It weeds out all the serious fags and Indians looking to rape 12 year olds
>>
File: balls2.jpg (27 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
balls2.jpg
27 KB, 360x480
I did this exercise in college to help with the same thing: I would take a good book with me to a bar- I liked reading Hemingway or a good thoughtful read, and I'd sit at the bar and read my book, drink 2-3 pints. I'd do this twice a week.
People, men or woman, and often the bartender, would stop by and ask what I was reading. That's why you need a good book. Not one of those fucking comic books that you immature faggots read now. You chitchat, and have the book to fall back on as something to talk about, and pass the time. I found that about 80% of the time, someone asked about the book, and getting to know your bartender is an important step towards discount booze and getting to know other people.

Anyhow, it's a good start, and after a time, you'll be a regular. If you choose a good bar, eventually you can come in on a weekend, when it's a little more busy, and you'll see familiar faces, and chances are you'll be able to step up to them and talk a bit too.
Small steps, OP.
>>
File: 72.jpg (66 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
72.jpg
66 KB, 630x354
>>16608350

>hemingway
>good
>>
>>16608355
What's the matter, man, you don't like books that don't have pictures?
>>
>>16608362
pretend to be a girl
no one ignores a girl on the internet
>>
>>16608370
he was leftist scum and a soviet collaborator
>>
>>16608402

so am i

the fuck you gonna do about it
>>
>>16608453
Please guys don't start an argument.

Anyway I thought that having some kind of skills like playing guitar would help but meh it didn't.
>>
Have to have confidence in yourself and just keep on talking to people over and over with the intention to get better at it. It's not enough to just say words.

Like I've been talking with coworkers at work and someone with bad social skills decides to interject themselves. One guy just stood there the whole the time and didn't say anything. This is weird behavior and makes everyone uncomfortable. Another guy tries to join, but he just blurts out weird little sentences or badly timed jokes. Also weird, but less weird than just standing there.

Conversational skills take time to develop. If it's not natural to you, you have to work till it's at that level. Till you're not in your own head during a casual chat with acquaintances. It should just flow.
>>
>>16608481
Yeah I am that guy who don't speak or come off as weird when I do. Do I just keep talking to people I meet? I have no problems having a conversation between my own friends.
>>
>>16608467
won't help
people find "that guy who brings guitar anywhere" annoying don't be that guy
>>
>>16608492

Yeah, but you HAVE to do it with the mindset that you're trying to learn and get better at it each time. You have to notice body language, changes in facial expressions, tone shifts, emotions, etc. You have to notice when you're making other people uncomfortable and then reduce the kind of behavior that causes those reactions. If you're making other people smile, laugh, or pay attention to what you're saying, do behavior like that more.

It's incredibly exhausting at first, but when you're better you don't have to think about it at all. I still find talking to people for long periods of time exhausting though.
>>
i feel you OP
>friends invite me over for a small gathering 6-8 people
>the thought of socializing with them scares me (i haven't seen them for 4 years)
>they started talking about what they're doing now like having 3 gfs, wakeboarding, gym, jobs,promotion n shit.
>mfw i spent the last 4 years doing nothing
>don't know what to talk about all i could think of is our time together.
>started getting ignored like OP
>getting kind of awkward
>i lasted 2 hours then said my goodbye
>they didn't even say "hey come stay for a little bit" or anything.
>>
>>16608519
I know right. I am still going to be in this class for another year, at least you won't see them daily.
>>
>>16608539
good you still have more chance to not fuck up
don't be me OP my mistake was i shut myself from people, spend my time slacking off playing and stuff.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.