[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to be good at something, but to be truly, impressively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 640x1136
I want to be good at something, but to be truly, impressively good at something as an adult, one would usually have to start at 5-7 years old and progressively shift from "impressive for his age" to "genuinely impressive".

I'm about to turn 22, and I have no education in anything. Whatever opportunity my parents had to give me an advantage in anything, they thought speaking english was enough. It isn't.

What kind of things could I still learn? I can't do anything REAL, I hate and suck at math, I'm aggressively, passionately uninterested in physics or biology, so practicing medicine or real sciences is not an option.

I can't even play an instrument. Everyone who plays the piano started at five or six, the violin by seven or eight.

I have no real education in anything so I'm too old to compete in anything you have to start training for before the age of 21.

What IS there out there that I could do that absolutely everyone else who does it wouldn't have had a headstart in?
>>
>>16606494

You just pretty much said you aren't willing to do anything. That's thread.
>>
Find something you're passionate about and just do it. Don't go into it with the intention of impressing other people.
>>
>>16606498
I'm not saying I'm unwilling to do anything. I'm saying I don't want to devote myself to being mediocre.

>>16606505
But I'm not passionate about anything. And I've tried a lot of stuff, from literature to painting to religion to horses.

Unless you can suggest something I haven't tried.
>>
By current theory, to REALLY get good at something as an adult, you need to put in about 10,000 hours: just under five years, if you're working at it for about 40 hours a week.

People who start as kids DO get a head start, but it's not as big as you might think. First, they can't put in 40-hour weeks; even the pushiest parwnts hit a wall that the child simply is not capable of going beyond. Second, kids aren't as smart about the time they do put in, and this degrades the quality of those hours: a teacher or coach can mitigate this to some degree, but not completely.

What this means is that you CAN catch up. It will take a long time and a lot of work, and you have GOT to get over this hangup about "starting late". But if you can do this, you, too, can git gud.
>>
>>16606511
>And I've tried a lot of stuff, from literature to painting to religion to horses.
But you keep quitting. That is why you keep failing.
>>
>>16606512

They decided that theory is bullshit. Google it. It's funny, because Robert Greene sucked it off in "Mastery" hard and then all the scientific articles about how it's a load of shit came out.

Iirc the study itself had to do with chess. It's a load of shit. Come at me faggots:

http://lichess.org/VPsrdWSN
>>
>>16606512
Name me one thing that applies to.
>>
>>16606511
Maybe you're not passionate about anything because you go into it with this mindset. I'd hate to do any of my hobbies if I felt pressured to be the best at them all the time.
>>
>>16606526
I refuse to devote myself to being mediocre.
>>
>>16606545
You first have to be mediocre in order to become good at something, retard.
>>
There are certain carrees which do not require so much preparation, such as photography or aviation... it would be useful to know what do you actually like.
Anyway, maybe this could be useful.
http://www.university.com/good-pay_jobs_with_an_associates/?areaOfStudy=3
>>
>>16606556
If it takes me 30 years to become mediocre, I'll be too old to be impressive by the time I'm good.
>>
>>16606562
I don't mean a job. I already have an education.

I'm a plumber. Or I would be, if I had a fucking job.

I'm an unemployed fucking plumber.
>>
>>16606570
Kill yourself lol
>>
>>16606563
Then you're fucked.

If you ever want to get good at something, you are going to have to accept that there will be a point when you've learned to walk but cannot yet run, and you'll have to keep going through that before you actually get good. Worse -and here's the real kicker- for a very long time, the only way you'll be able to get better at something is to learn from people who are already better than you.

Nobody, anywhere, ever, starts at the top. That is not how learning works. Get over yourself and start the process.
>>
>>16606763
What do you want me to do, then?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.