[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can polyamorous relationships work? Can everyone involved be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1427146132127.jpg (59 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
1427146132127.jpg
59 KB, 500x493
Can polyamorous relationships work?

Can everyone involved be happy?

Does anyone have experiences they could share?
>>
>>16606376
They don't work and it's not a real relationship. It's more like symbiotic parasites.
>>
>>16606376

I don't think so. To this day, I haven't been able to win an argument about it with my hoe friend.

My real argument is "You don't love your bf and you want to sleep around but don't want to leave him for other reasons."

Basically, when you are in love, the idea of the girl being with someone else pains you. My friend's argument is that this is insecure and possessive. I can't debate that, it's just the way it is.

But in short, one person gets to be a pimp and others are their bitch.
>>
If everyone in the web of relationships is wired for it, then it can work. But the difficulty of this increases exponentially with the size of the web, and if even one of them starts to have doubts, the resulting dramaquake can bring the whole thing crashing down.

If you are having doybts, then it is best to stay away. You just aren't wired for it. Most people aren't.
>>
It's kind of like gay people. Do they exist? Yes. But they are only a tiny fraction of the population. Do poly people exist? I'd say yes. But they are also a tiny fraction of the mainly monogamous population.
>>
>>16606376
Rarely, dude.

They might work for a little while but it's just like being friends with benefits. Inevitably, one person will get too attached and jealousy issues.

My friend WAS in an open marriage, but they had different ideas of what should constitute an open marriage. She just wanted an occasional new dick on the side, he ended developing feelings for another girl and moved in with her. They're divorced now. Kek
>>
>>16606389
>>16606394
>>16606413
A good friend of mine and I are in love with the same person, and that person claims to love us both back, and cant decide what they want. I'm just trying to think of a solution and I'm not sure what to do.
>>
My advice to everyone considering this always is: you are but one link in a chain going back tens of millions of years. You are not the first generation of mammals so fucking evolved, so enlightened, that you simply do not feel sexual jealousy.

Polygyny can work, although morally I strongly disagree with it. I don't feel it's possible to love more than one spouse or treat them all with the attention that a single one would get. But polygynous societies can at the very least be stable.

The second you introduce multiple husbands into the equation it all falls apart. There's a reason polyandrous societies are EXCEPTIONALLY rare and they tend to be unstable and plagued by violence. Any form of polygamy or polyamory other than classic polygyny (one man with multiple wives) is pretty much doomed to fail.

Also, I'm sorry, but it's cowardly. Figure out who you love and commit to them or just say fuck it and sleep around.
>>
>>16606422
>emotional manipulation

Dump your friend and the lover. They will serve you no good.
>>
>>16606413

That's common. In my experience, it's also fat losers who no one would commit to. Though the girl I mentioned is fairly attractive, but I think she just wants a justification for sleeping around while getting the benefits of being in the care of her bf/practically husband now.

>>16606422

I don't think it's possible to have an actual relationship with both of you involved, period. If both of you actually love her, one of you will get hurt. Also, can you really share a girl, I mean, that's close to cuck, and not even in the trolling 4chan sense.
>>
Also, something important to consider - irl, you can only give a person so much attention. A lot of people find it difficult to give one significant other sufficient attention.

Keep in mind that attention can be helping them resolve serious problems, if you genuinely "love" them. From a practical standpoint, it's nearly impossible to offer that sort of commitment to multiple people.

For example, whose kids is she going to have? You gonna raise your friend's son?
>>
>>16606376

No. Poly people are people who like to monkey branch, people who are attractive enough to have multiple people hit on them at once and enjoy the attention/sex on the side while still having the 'dedication' of a monogamous relationship. They inevitable go up in flames because one person WILL end up reaping the most benefits from the open relationship aspect and then the other person will get jealous/upset.
>>
Thanks, these replies have been very insightful.
>>
I was thinking you should start a poly relationship with threesomes

To get used to it the idea
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.