[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got hired at Walmart last week as a cashier (by choice!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1450321737790.jpg (36 KB, 479x492) Image search: [Google]
1450321737790.jpg
36 KB, 479x492
I just got hired at Walmart last week as a cashier (by choice! I like to help!). I've done all my CBLs and have been on the front end for 4 hours on one day, and 8 hours on another day. What a time to start, though. It's like throwing a goldfish into a shark tank. I don't know the answers to all the customer's questions and it's stressing me the fuck out. I don't want to say "I don't know" or "I can't help you" so I always say: I'm trying my best. I've been a cashier before and Walmart's point of sale machines are way easier to operate but there's still some things I'm having trouble remembering.

Question 1: How long will it take for me to appear on the schedule? I'm so new I'm not even scheduled.

Question 2: Will it get better? Because it's the Christmas season there's a constant stream of customers. Literally no rest inbetween customers. And we don't have enough cashiers. I've either had to take all my breaks late or missed some entirely. Is it always like this? It took a big toll on my body.

Question 3. Can someone greentext how to help customers reload walmart gift cards, purchase walmart gift cards, and pay with walmart gift cards? Because currently that's the most common thing that I'm having trouble with. There's so much to remember

Question 4: Last time I worked (on Christmas eve) this Indian dude comes up to my lane, ten minutes before I was supposed to clock out for the day (it was an 8 hour shift and i just wanted to go home). He handed me his credit card and a filled-out check. He spoke with a heavy Indian accent and I literally could not understand one bit of what he was saying. I had to get help. The person who helped me did "action code 70". What the fuck did this customer want me to do?
>>
I'm not sure how much help advice can give you on this one you may have better luck at www.reddit.com/r/walmart/

In b4 >reddit
>>
it sounds terrible OP but most retail places expect you to not know what youre doing for awhile. just pay attention and try to learn as much as possible and it will come naturally for you.
Also, if you miss a break do not say anything. yeah it sucks but whining about it will make you look like a bitcy
>>
>>16605981
You're probably right. From time to time I know walmart associates come on this board so that's what I was kinda hoping for. Really dont want to make a reddit account just for a few questions. I'm not fond of that place. 4chan all the way
>>
>>16605993
Good thing I've not spoken about my breaks. And if I have I honestly forget. I've probably only told 1 person (my boyfriend)

But man I really don't want to upset customers. It's only Walmart but I take it seriously: Me giving customers a bad experience will give them a super bad impression, and that's all it takes to tarnish reputation. Then again I don't know how much 1 new cashier can do to ruin the reputation of a really popular superstore.

I just like to do a good job
>>
>>16605927
1 Probably by the end of next week.

2 The worst is over now. Where I worked late breaks were par for the course, but that just meant you didn't have to work as long for the next part. It'll always be rough on your body, though.

3 Ask your CSM and write it down on some receipt paper to tape to your register. Fuck gift cards.

4 He was probably trying to pay off his credit card balance.
>>
>>16606004
people are going to "have a bad experience" regardless of your actions.
as long as you know youre doing the best you can in any given situation I really wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>16606004
Jesus, I didn't think anyone actually fell for their brainwashy "training".
>>
>>16606021
Don't think I 'fell for it'. My personality has always been eager to please, do-my-best, try-to-be-social-though-I'm-shy
>>
>>16606014
Thank you for your help anon. In the meantime, till my schedule appears, what do you think i should do? I know the basics of their cash registers so I'm not totally stupid, but I've just been coming in unscheduled, clocking in as normal, and working as normal. Is that ok?
>>
>>16606071
>giving customers a bad experience will give them a super bad impression, and that's all it takes to tarnish reputation
That is directly from the training. They will absolutely abuse your personality to try and make you consider the store above your own needs. Keep that in mind and don't fucking fall for it.

>>16606074
You sound like you're doing good so far. You'll probably have it all down in a week or two at most, and until then most customers will be understanding if you tell them you're new on the job.
>>
Update: after speaking to a few people, they seem to have either forgotten about scheduling me or they keep pushing me back. Spoke to the big boss and she said "check back later tonight". Nope not scheduled yet
>>
File: image.png (98 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
98 KB, 750x1334
Nevermind it just took them many more hours. Why does it say my breaks are 1 hour long?
>>
>>16607612
Your breaks aren't scheduled, you can just generally expect them to be about two hours in. The one hour is for your lunch break. It seems long at first, but you'll need all the time to recover you can get as time goes on.
>>
>>16606021
That's not brainwashing, that's just a good attitude in a profession that requires a lot of interaction with customers.
>>
Join a union and get scheduled breaks, lunch and overtime pay.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-27+at+09.53.53).png (105 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-27+at+09.53.53).png
105 KB, 1600x900
But why am I not scheduled for like 2 weeks? I need the money. I have bills to pay.

Considering, fuck it, I should just go back to my previous shitty job. At least then I was guaranteed a paycheck every week
>>
>>16609053
They will fix it idiot
>>
>>16609052
>Join a union and grieve not getting scheduled breaks, lunch and overtime pay.
fix'd that for you.
>>
>>16609238
I've heard that word a lot but what is a union exactly?
>>
>>16609262
you work at Walmart, it won't do you any good to know.
>>
>>16609227
hope this anon is right
>>
>>16608978
Nigger, it's walmart. Short of purposefully being a massive turbocunt, there is exactly jack shit a cashier will do to affect perception of the store. Besides, I call it brainwashing more for their method than the lesson. They make you sit in a room for seven hours a day for several days, staring at a computer screen repeating messages about how wonderful walmart is, and how it's all-important and great and walmart loves you and you'd never, ever do anything to hurt walmart, right?

They also had a "just say no" video about unions reminiscent of those old DARE campaigns, which was actually pretty funny in context.
>>
So based on my schedule do I have a job or what? And how long till it'll be fixed?
>>
>>16609898
Judging from what you posted, by the fifteenth. You weren't in the system when they hammered out this schedule so they're making it up as they go. You will be in the system whenever they make up the new one, so it'll show up as normal from then on. Stop freaking out over every little thing.
>>
>>16610090
Okay okay....
But today I went to Walmart to purchase something and basically brought up my schedule for reals to them. I'm supposed to go tomorrow and figure shit out.

But anons said not to worry about it. Should I still go?

And fug my shirts are blue but not navy blue. Hope I don't get yelled at. Exchanging them will be a pain in the ass. Wore one all day and didn't get yelled at though.
>>
>>16610374
If you talk to them you might be able to get an extra couple shifts this week. Talk to your coworkers and see if any of them are willing to lend you a couple hours, the younger ones who are still in high school usually don't mind getting a day or two off.

Get white shirts, they're easier to find and are more versatile. I still wear mine sometimes.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.