[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's some kind of training, certification, or degree I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: mechanic_wires.jpg (50 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
mechanic_wires.jpg
50 KB, 640x479
What's some kind of training, certification, or degree I can do in 2 years or less that will land me an okay ($35k-$40k/yr) job?

I'm interested in cars, motorcycles, computers, electronics, economics, finance, and music.
>>
none, go work at the post office.
>>
>>16605644
Post offices are getting shut down everywhere m8. The one in my town just bit the dust.

I try applying for the city postal office every single year and I never get any calls back. I took the postman exam once and aced it and still never got a call.
>>
ASE Certifications can get you on the right track to getting an automotive based job.
>>
>>16605642
Welding pays decently.

My dad is a blue collar middle-class person and he installs security systems with a two-year degree. He started out at that salary, now he makes 70k a year for his experience in the field.

Only thing he says about his job is that you need the cleanest record ever. Because you are working on security systems.
>>
>>16605798
Also, a friend of mine got some automotive degree and works on the local public buses. Makes about that income
>>
>>16605798
Is being cuck a crime?
>>
>>16605801
No. Just need a squeaky clean driving record because you'd likely drive service vehicles. Also, no criminal history.
>>
>>16605793
Yeah I've looked into some ASE stuff. It requires either education or work experience though.

No places near me will hire a greenhorn, so I'll have to go the education route if that's what I want to do. My community college offers an AAS in automotive technology and would qualify me to get my first ASE cert.

>>16605798
I have a clean record. What's his degree in? Is there a union for such a gig?

>>16605800
Diesel guy, I assume? I don't know much about diesel.

I know a ton about regular automobiles though because my parents owned two cars, I owned one, and my brother owned one. When I was in high school I got the hayne's service manuals for all of them and did 100% of the maintenance on all of the vehicles. I learned a lot in that time.

>>16605801
It should be.
>>
>>16605804
My driving record isn't exactly squeaky clean. I've had two tickets; One for expired registration tags, and another one for expired registration tags + 70 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

All of it got thrown out in court but I'm sure it'd still show up on a background check. Registration is fucking horse shit and I shouldn't have to pay to keep an up-to-date sticker on my license plate.
>>
>>16605807
>I have a clean record. What's his degree in? Is there a union for such a gig?
His degree is an Associates Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering. He's a field service technician. I don't know much about union stuff regarding his line of work.

Regarding my friend that works on public buses, I know he started with regular automotive shit, he had these interests since high school and was in some job program that started in high school. I'm not sure of where he got his certification or degree.
>>
>>16605812
My dad's had parking tickets before, never on a work-owned vehicle. But I think that since enough time had elapsed, they cleared it. But a repeat offender, likely would not get the job. It does depend on the company.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.