[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bf is catholic and I'm not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Historically, religion has merely been an avenue for others to abuse me. I have nothing against religion, but fanaticism makes me extremely uncomfortable, to the point of crying even. But with matt, it doesn't seem to matter. I spent a good portion of Christmas with his family, and prior to eating we all held hands while his dad prayed. Normally this would make me extremely uncomfortable, but this time it didnt? I'm unsure whether time has merely dulled the pain inflicted on me through religion, or if I love him enough that holding his hand has such an effect. Either way, it was enough for me to, at the end of the day as I was leaving to my apartment, tell him that I love him. This confession was met with all the warmth and acceptance, but he said that he "needs a little longer to say the same". Yet I have never felt so comforted.

It's been on my mind for a while though how a relationship might work between a Catholic and an atheist. I don't want to damage his faith; it is an important part of him and I do not want to change him. But I wonder how I might go about understanding him as a Catholic. Do I just ask his priest? Would that be too invasive?
>>
If you want to understand Catholicism as a whole, talking to the priest is a good idea. If you want to understand what role religion plays for him specifically, I'd wager you'd be better off asking him directly.
>>
>>16605622
>If you want to understand Catholicism as a whole, talking to the priest is a good idea. If you want to understand what role religion plays for him specifically, I'd wager you'd be better off asking him directly.

These things are different? I thought catholic dogma was unified.
>>
>>16605626
Different people take it with different severity. For one guy he may just be going through the motions to appease family, another may require it for his day to day process. That's what I meant by what role it plays for him.
>>
Anybody else have any input? I he was hoping for more to read in the morning.
>>
It might cause more problems the more time that passes and the more serious the relationship becomes. Think about kids, for example. He will probably want to raise them in Catholicism. Or he and his family might want you to officially convert before you marry, and marry under the church. These are all things you should talk about early on.

I think it's good you want to try to understand it better.
>>
>>16605637
what this anon said basically
talk to him about what exactly religion means to him. You're gonna have to have that talk some time or another might as well get it out of the way
>>
>>16605626
>These things are different? I thought catholic dogma was unified.
Catholic dogma is unified, but individual Catholics still react to it differently.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.