[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get interesting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 4L_ZzbD3uj7.jpg (82 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
4L_ZzbD3uj7.jpg
82 KB, 1280x854
Hey /adv/, I generally am an autist when talking to anyone, i.e. I'm extremely boring and can't start a conversation or even keep one going. Any tips for someone who only enjoys playing vidya?
>>
>>16603838
Expand your interests.
>>
>>16603838

Pretend you're your favorite vidya character
>>
This thread is pertinent to my interests. I need to learn how to interest people, I seem to only make friends with the odd people that come and talk to me.
>>
>>16603887
Great advice if you wanna be even more of an autist
>>
>>16603838
Learn more about daily events and news. Read things. Find common interests with other people. Learn how to make banal small talk.

These are the most basic things for social interactions. The more information you have about any general subject, the easier it'll be to carry on protracted conversation. The more conversations you have, the more at ease you'll be with your personal confidence. You can expand from there.
Here's a start using vidya as a basis: get on mic more often, and talk with people. Learn to bullshit with invisible assholes over the internet, and then move on to actual in-the-flesh normal people.
>>
You actually do not have to be interesting to have conversations with others. The secret is that you have to be interested in THEM. Most people would rather just talk about themselves then hear much of what you have to say. They tell you something, ask them for more details, if they've done it before, how they liked it, etc.
>>
>>16604386
>>The secret is that you have to be interested in THEM.
Building on this: if you have the most general, vague knowledge of anything somebody is talking about, that allows them to dominate the conversation, and frees you from the need to provide stimulus and input since they're doing the work for you. It also allows you to consider the specifics of what they're talking about--details about a story, description of random shit, emotions they're feeling--and provide a reaction that makes it seem like you're interested in their side of the conversation. Eventually, you really will be interested in what they have to say, and will be able to contribute more to conversations than merely just sounding politely inquisitive.
>>
>>16603838

Think of the most outgoing and easy to talk to character you've ever seen in a video game (especially one that is popular with the opposite sex) and just pretend you are them. It's like cosplay without the actual costume. I'm really good at talking to people, but sometimes I decide to challenge myself by pretending to act like a character from vidya or a movie I've seen and it is not only fun, but sometimes it has good results. I've sometimes even had girls call me out on acting like a certain character that they know and they find it funny and sometimes even cool. Seriously give it a shot. Don't use direct quotes from vidya or movies just think about what the character might say in that situation or what a person with that character's confidence and social skills might say in the scenario you are in and say it. Placing limitations on yourself because of your own self-esteem can be eliminated by this kind of role playing.
>>
OP here. What happens when they know I'm boring as fuck, even if I do this pretty sure I'll still be boring since Im saying nothing?
>>
>Any tips for someone who only enjoys playing vidya?
Then hone the shit outta that. If its honestly what defines you, refine it to a polish so when you talk about it then it makes it damn interesting.
>>
>>16605102

You seem to have this idea in your head that if you aren't familiar with a topic or haven't done it yourself you can't talk about it. No, that's not the way it works. You can say what you think of what they said, compare it something you do you know, a tv show you watched, something you heard of from someone else, etc, etc.

I think you really just need to TRY to talk to more people and just talk more often. Conversations are just natural things. You shouldn't have to think that hard when you're just casually chatting with someone. So you got to get to that point before you'll be at a normal level. I'm speaking from personal experience because up until a number of years ago I barely spoke to other people. Now people are legitimately surprised if I tell them I was social awkward.
>>
>>16604386
>>16604407
I can say that this is almost never true in my case.
I talk to tons of people on a daily basis (usually on kik and omegle) and asking things like what they're into, what they like, or anything like that usually gives very generic responses like, "I LIKE TO EAT LOL" or , "Netflix is my life lol" and then I have no idea what to say and everything I try feels forced.
>>
>>16605311
Ask them open-ended questions about the things they're interested in. Or ask questions that are specific to the thing they just mentioned, like if they say they like cooking shows, ask them who would win in a fight between Ainsley Harriott and Alton Brown.
>>
>>16605384
So I DO have to know about various topics?
Because I've never even heard either of those names.
Also what if they give simple as fuck answers?
Like this:
Me: What do you like to do for fun? Any hobbies??
Her: Eating XD
Me: Hahahaha what's your favorite food??
Her: Pizza
What the fuck do I say to this shit?
>>
>>16605432

Wait, is this thread about real life conversations or meeting people to date online? These are different ballgames.

If you're using written communication you have to be interesting at least in the WAY you write. Then hopefully you'll get more full responses. Lots of women are just trash at talking online because they're so used to other people doing the work for them in a conversation.

In your example it's good as long as you're getting a reply. If she's not talking at length about something, you aren't talking about something that interests her. You have to keep the topics coming until you find something that sticks and she'll actually talk about.

Or you just say fuck it, this person isn't worth my time. I do recommend at least practicing how long you can keep a conversation going when you're still learning this shit though. Even if it doesn't go anywhere it still can be a learning experience.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.