[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do most people just give up on life when they're in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
Why do most people just give up on life when they're in their late 20's? I seriously don't get it, man.

I'm 31 and am REALLY intense. I exercise like a maniac 6 days a week, work extremely hard and make $190k a year, have a doctorate, study unrelated subjects for hours on end (by poring over graduate-level texts), love vaporizing weed and psychedelics, still go to metal and noisecore shows, and am a big fan of slasher and gore movies. I'm married, but told my wife I never wants kids. Honestly, I'm just like I was at age 18, but I'm more fit, make more money, smarter, and get more sex.

Unfortunately, all my friends are losing their fire. God, it's pathetic. They hit 30, get married, and get fat. The ones with kids are the worst. Sorry, bro, but I don't want to get a beer and hear you complain about how baby is sooo fucking cute but keeping you up.

Shit, man. I feel like I'm just getting started, and everyone is checking out. Why the fuck is everyone losing their fire?
>>
that's how it always worked as far as I know

when people get older they usually get fatter and change their habits

it's no different from a girl who used to play with dolls but now gave up on it because she got older and is not interested in it anymore
>>
>>16601807
Well, that's bullshit. Why is giving up an option?

I mean, fuck. Even my old jock friends have just gotten fat and lazy. They just drink a bunch of beer, eat like shit, and raise their shitty kids.

How am I supposed to find people to socialize with who share my interests? I'm starting to feel kind of lonely.

The only people I know who still share my fire are, I suspect, somewhat mentally ill. Like, I still have a couple good friends from college who are intense, but they're obviously a little off the rail.
>>
>>16601831
the average 30 year old guy is just like your friends are

>How am I supposed to find people to socialize with who share my interests? I'm starting to feel kind of lonely.

You won't be able to rely on your old friends, you will have to meet new people. They will be at the places you go, the gym, noisecore shows, etc.

Most people will be below your age, but you will still be able to find some around yours.
>>
Do you want advice? Find new friends if it bothers you so much.
>>
>>16601841
>>16601839
Damn, that's sad. Everyone else is such a disappointment.

Guess I need new friends. Well, shit, this is going to get difficult.
>>
>>16601855
Dude I think you just have superior neurochemistry desu. I wish I had that kind of drive but I just know it's ultimately unsustainable. I get bursts of glory here and there but wayy too much general moodiness to push it like that
>>
>>16601858
It's often a struggle for me too (well, not anymore, but when I was inexperienced it was). You know that "brain fatigue" you get? How it feels like you just can't keep going? You MUST push through it, man. I've accomplished absolutely amazing things after not sleeping much for days.

Plus, it's a lot easier to study something if it's just for fun. I've read dozens (if not hundreds) of graduate CompSci and physics textbooks front-to-back for fun, not work or anything. It's even easier if you're high out of your mind (if you study like that a lot, you retain a surprising amount). Same with exercise.
>>
>>16601794

>190k a year

> why isn't any one else as excited about life as me, a man with limitless opportunity due to my wealth!
>>
>>16601873
Well that's great. Doing all thoses things make you happy, other people may need to do other things to be happy, that's it.
Why being bothered by it ? If you're lonely just spend some time to get some new friends who are into your hobbies, but you cant change of even judge your friends to be different than you ...
>>
>>16601794
>190k a year
How do I into that kind of money?
>>
>>16601873
That's really cool man. Unfortunately when I overclock my head like that I get mad compulsive tics that gain so much traction that eventually I don't care about anything. I gave myself stomach ulcers by pushing my brain so hard; so something about my whole mind-body relationship is just off, comparatively.

As far as the friend thing goes man, you might not be reaching out hard enough. kind of like that whole "if you're the smartest person in the room..." analogy. I'm sure there are men out there that make you look like a underachieving pussy. You must find them and learn from them. As far as the friends you already have, sometimes you just gotta accept that roles change and sometimes you just end up with a big mass that's good to share a beer and a laugh with and that's it. Nothing wrong with it; it is inherently inevitable.
>>
>>16601892
>>16601923
Appreciate the advice. Really. I get you on the friends thing. It's time to accept some of my current friends' limitations and make a better effort to make new ones.

I hadn't thought about that a lot. Alright.

By the way, I get ulcers a lot too. Aside from prescription medication, go a few weeks without coffee or alcohol, no matter how hard it may be. They make ulcers waaaaay worse, and they usually go away if you avoid them.

>>16601903
>>16601890
I'm a mid-level litigator, and am really damn good at it. I don't have the stellar academic credentials for Big Law, but I have the chops to excel in the mid-sized market. After a few years and some promotions, here I am. (By the way, don't go to law school. I got lucky. Plenty of my friends got $150k of debt and no job.)
>>
>>16601955
You honestly sound like a douche
>>
>>16601794
I don't know man. I see myself being where you are later in life. I don't always dig the whole "Lone wolf" thing but I don't think I have a choice. Would rather not settle with People who don't even give a fuck, and neither should you.
>>
>>16601959
Same can be said of you, my friend.
>>
>>16601794
Cause western society shits on white straight men.
>>
>>16601794
You sound fake as Fuck brucie kibbutz
I hope to be like you when I'm older.
>>
past regretable events need a resolution which is impossible to get now. life is on hold and there is no fire. sadness because no vengeance
>>
>>16601794
i'm only 24 but i'm already seeing what you're describing, and I only imagine it will get worse in the next 10 years. I was at work a few weeks back, and the subject of dating and girls came up and one of my coworkers was asking why I wasn't in a serious long term relationship looking to get married. I just gave him a stupid puzzled look and he then mentioned he married the first girl he asked out and said something like "bam, done"

I can't think of a worse reason to marry someone. the way he described it was like he was getting his christmas shopping done
>>
>>16601794
>half of whatever bullshit you're spouting

I'm sure you do, buddy
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.